Noise level? (Mini 2)

Share your experience with UP mni 2!
bjorn

Noise level? (Mini 2)

Post by bjorn » Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:53 am

Coming from a RepRap with v-wheels and Trinamic drivers in stealth chop I'm used to fans being the loudest components, and the Mini 2 was markedet as "very quiet"; however I cannot leave it printing over night because neighbours complain (albeit its an old and not very soundproofed building). In a room adjacent to both kitchen and the study I can hear the printer over the dishwasher, so I would say "very quiet" is at best a bit of a stretch if my printer is representative of the product.

So I'm wondering if my printer has a typical sound level, or if its misaligned or something causing excessive noise. My (un-calibrated) phone puts the Up Mini 2 at 55dB while the quiet RepRap clocks in at 41dB during printing, measured in about as similar conditions as possible. Upon completed print cycle the RepRap is silent, while the Up Mini 2 maintains hotend and filter fan, until manually and physically put in sleep mode, where only hotend fan is left running.

I guess different people have different perceptions as to what is noisy and what is quiet, but the rest of you
- can you comfortably work next to your Mini 2?
- can you watch TV without turning up the volume next to your Mini 2?
- would you raise your voice to have a conversation next to your Mini 2?

bjorn

Re: Noise level? (Mini 2)

Post by bjorn » Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:56 pm

So this turned out to be two part.

Biggest problem was misaligned rails for extruder to travel on; caused vibrations, and ultimately failure of rail clips.

The fan baffle to control cooling air towards part or to the side was very loose and the vibration from the above caused this to add to the noise. Adding some sticky high temperature grease may not be the best solution but it kept the baffle silent at least. (Still waiting for vendor or Tiertime to fix the biggest problem :( but what else is new.. )

The lack of response makes me think this is an isolated case, but for Tiertime to ignore both emails and forum posts about it leading to a catastrophic failure shows me where to put my money next time.

Update; videos showing homing sequence, after most of the problems are ironed out - and comparing to the noise when printer is controlled by Duet 2 Maestro with trinamic stepper drivers. You'll be blown away! https://www.tiertime.com/forum/viewtopi ... 642#p51641