ABS prints peeling, wrong bed temperature?

Share your experience with UP mni 2!
MSTwaterbug

ABS prints peeling, wrong bed temperature?

Post by MSTwaterbug » Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:20 am

Any large ABS print I try ends up peeling up if it gets anywhere near the edges of the bed. I looked in at the temperature settings and it says the temperature for the bed should be 76C, however when I look it up on google, everywhere else says it should be 80-110C. Are the default settings incorrect? Should I try upping the temperature to see if that stops the peeling?

Owen Sparks aka Marksman

Re: ABS prints peeling, wrong bed temperature?

Post by Owen Sparks aka Marksman » Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:39 am

I think that's about as much as the MINI2 bed can reach.

Try adjusting the nozzle height just enough to push the raft down into the perf board a little more, but not too much or the nozzle will clog.

Also dumb question, are you using the right board, the perforated one, not the smooth one?

If that's not the problem then changing the design to make it less prone to warping, or the materiel could be the next steps.

Do you have an image of the file? Is it especially hard to print?

Owen S.

DrewPetitclerc

Post by DrewPetitclerc » Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:30 pm

I found a nice cheap solution, among all my other mods to make my UP Plus "Pro" work was the addition of an enclosure.
20170331_155850 smaller.jpg
20170331_155850 smaller.jpg (555.46 KiB) Viewed 4310 times
8 PVC corners and 12 equal cut lengths of PVC pipe, then wrap the top in a double wall of Saran-wrap, then a single wrap around the outside walls.
Light, easy to move and keeps things not too toasty, but hot enough to slow the shrinkage that is the underlining cause of "warp"
Drew Petitclerc
Petitclerc Designs
Owner/Senior Principal Designer, prototype, tooling and test equipment design and 3D printing
http://flash-graphics.deviantart.com/
http://www.thingiverse.com/DrewPetitclerc

MSTwaterbug

Post by MSTwaterbug » Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:21 pm

OwenSparks wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:39 am
Also dumb question, are you using the right board, the perforated one, not the smooth one?
Oh! I forgot about the perforated boards, since it came with the smooth one in the machine by default, and ABS plastic, I thought it was intended to use them together.

I'll try it out with the one I have left. I don't usually see the obvious answer it seems.

MSTwaterbug

Post by MSTwaterbug » Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:18 pm

The raft still peels up even with the perforated board. Not sure what I can do at this point. I can attach pictures of it peeling but I don't think itll help much.

EDIT: Infact the peeling of the raft is seemingly even worse with the perforated board.

bjorn

Post by bjorn » Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:47 am

Use perfboard was the suggestion I got as well when asking why the printer was unable to reach the bed temperature defined in Tiertiemes own ABS profile; and as MSTwaterbug comments, I find it warps more on the perfboard then the flexboard.

I put a nice thick wollen jumper over the printer, pre-heat for an hour, that brings temperature to some 70%, once the hotend kicks in it climbs to just over 80% of the recommended 90 degrees Celsius - and it actually prints ABS well. (With the exception that it doesn't home properly and prints part of the raft outside the print area and that section lifts slightly unless I limit myself to 120x110 bed size.)

bjorn

Post by bjorn » Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:36 am

img_thermal_1535841703061.jpg
img_thermal_1535841703061.jpg (56.17 KiB) Viewed 4022 times
Room temp 20C. Thermal image after 60 minutes of pre-heating. No wonder prints warp in the far corner.

MSTwaterbug

Post by MSTwaterbug » Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:26 pm

bjorn wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:47 am
I put a nice thick wollen jumper over the printer, pre-heat for an hour, that brings temperature to some 70%, once the hotend kicks in it climbs to just over 80% of the recommended 90 degrees Celsius - and it actually prints ABS well.
Like, you put a sweater or something over it, can you still see inside? I might try this but it may look pretty silly.

bjorn

Post by bjorn » Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:32 pm

MSTwaterbug wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:26 pm
bjorn wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:47 am
I put a nice thick wollen jumper over the printer, pre-heat for an hour, that brings temperature to some 70%, once the hotend kicks in it climbs to just over 80% of the recommended 90 degrees Celsius - and it actually prints ABS well.
Like, you put a sweater or something over it, can you still see inside? I might try this but it may look pretty silly.
No, it covers the all sides including the door/window. And yes, it looks about as silly as I feel for buying the thing. I've done some more tests making timelapses of the heating and cooling of the bed, with and without print surface installed. A lot of the heat is lost between the PCB heater and the print surface, no explanation of the lack of uniform heating. No response from tiertime or the local seller; not impressed by performance or service.

As insulation seems to work I'm contemplating adding some sheets of the stuff engine rooms are insulated with around the insides of the printer, and some reflective window film to the window to reduce heat loss; but kinda reluctant to do so instead of shipping it back to the seller. After all even if I can get it to kinda print some smaller ABS prints, it really struggles with something that covers the usable part of my build surface.

MSTwaterbug

Post by MSTwaterbug » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:25 pm

Man, that really sucks. I know for sure I'll be getting a different printer in the future then. Thanks for all yall's input.