Beginner maker need help :)

Share your experience with UP mni 2!
JosepM

Beginner maker need help :)

Post by JosepM » Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:35 pm

Hi folks,

I'm purchased an Up Mini2 but I have some operative doubts that maybe you can drive me.

1) Is it necessary to initialize and calibrate the nozzle for each print each time?

2) I have diferent values if I calibrate from the printer rather than the UpStudio. Where is the correct?

2) With ABS what temperature is optimal for the bed? I have made some really impressive impressions and others that just start already appears wrapping each time.

3) Is it better to print piece by piece or try to fill the printing surface? with the ABS I detect that the corners of the bed are the ones that appear wrapping, so the question of point 2)

4) When printing is finished, it is better to remove before the printing plate? or remove the it directly from the plate inside the printer?

5) Is the level of the bed calibrated by default? How is it calibrated?

Salut,
Josep M

Owen Sparks aka Marksman

Re: Beginner maker need help :)

Post by Owen Sparks aka Marksman » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:28 pm

Hi :D

JosepM wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:35 pm
1) Is it necessary to initialize and calibrate the nozzle for each print each time?
No, just initialize it once and leave alone unless it has a big problem.
JosepM wrote:
2) With ABS what temperature is optimal for the bed? I have made some really impressive impressions and others that just start already appears wrapping each time.
90 Degrees Centegrade
JosepM wrote:
2b) I have diferent values if I calibrate from the printer rather than the UpStudio. Where is the correct?
Probably neither. It's trial and error to get the nozzle height just right. Too far one way the raft won't stick and the part will warp, too far the other way the nozzle will jam.
JosepM wrote:
3) Is it better to print piece by piece or try to fill the printing surface? with the ABS I detect that the corners of the bed are the ones that appear wrapping, so the question of point 2)
Depends, if the printer is working well fill the bed and you're good to leave it to run. If you're having problems print one part at a time until it's all tuned. The more parts on the bed the more stress it's under so less resistant to the bed itself warping.
JosepM wrote:
4) When printing is finished, it is better to remove before the printing plate? or remove the it directly from the plate inside the printer?
Remove the printed model and the plate together, and once out of the machine use a scraper to seperate the model from the build plate. You might damage the printer if trying to remove it inside the machine.
JosepM wrote:
5) Is the level of the bed calibrated by default? How is it calibrated?
Hope some of that is useful!

Owen S.
Last edited by Owen Sparks aka Marksman on Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

YoHidden

Post by YoHidden » Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:40 pm

Marksman...

Is the Up Mini 2 capable of bed heating to 90ºC ? And so... how long does it take ? Because mine does not rise over 60ºC, and even for that temp it takes a whole hour....

Is there any hacking or replacement needed to make the bed temperature to behave as expected ?

JosepM

Post by JosepM » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:44 pm

Hi,

Thanks for answer.

My Mini2 (purchased two weeks ago) it's being repaired due the bed temperatura isn't working correctly. More than 1 minute per 1 grade. Is under warranty so no problem and while the reseller left me other Mini2.
Now the bed temperature is running fast but no more of 75ºC before start to print.
About the nozzle calibration, you are right, the auto level can help but you need try and error until get the optimal position.
Now is printing well.

But I have other new questions for the experts :)

1. Top and down faces don't have finish resolution. I printed a cube and the side faces are near perfect while the down and top seems unfinished compared to the side faces. How can get better resolution?

2. Smoothing. Today I buy a XTC3D epoxy to try it. Any experience or method recommended? What is your workflow to post process the prints?

3. Any xperience using other apps to generate GCODE for Upstudio?

4. Support editor. Use from UpStudio or generate externally from Meshmixer? Any workflow?

Salut,
Josep M

aleyush

Post by aleyush » Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:11 pm

JosepM wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:44 pm
3. Any xperience using other apps to generate GCODE for Upstudio?
You can see some discussions in this forum, or just search for "G-code".

In short: that is possible, but there are some problems there.