ABS print is sticking too well to raft

Share your experience with UP mni 2!
zeeb84

ABS print is sticking too well to raft

Post by zeeb84 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:37 pm

I was not having this problem at all, but now I am. I am using the perf board in the mini 2 and blue ABS. The prints are sticking too well to the raft (melting together bottom layer of print with raft). How can I fix this?

YoHidden

Re: ABS print is sticking too well to raft

Post by YoHidden » Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:16 pm

Same thing here !!

I had used the perf board a few times and even found that some prints were not sticking at all to the heatbed. After a manual calibration of the nozzle height, now it sticks too strong as described by you and it is really hard to release the printed piece after completion. And, obviously, holes at the perf board are completely buried in ABS after a couple of prints....

Owen Sparks aka Marksman

Post by Owen Sparks aka Marksman » Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:28 pm

(1) As described nozzle height is critical here. This affects adhesion of raft to build plate and raft to model all in one setting. (This is a peeve of mine, they should be independent.)

(2) Make sure you have the "easy peel" print setting ticked. Recently this has been the difference between impossible to peel (off) and barely able to peel (on). This didn't use to be the case, I ran for a year without it but now need it all the time.

(3) From my experience the blue ABS just seems harder to peel than the black or red.

Cheers,

Owen S.

JosepM

Post by JosepM » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:54 pm

Hi,

I have the same issue. I fixed adjusting the nozzle level manually, if with the actual value is too sticked, then substract -0.10 or -0.20 and test until feel confortable with the sticking.

Salut,
Josep M

astridman

Post by astridman » Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:45 pm

@JoespM 's solution worked for me (for a print in PLA, but was having the same stubborn raft problem). I experimented with bed temp, nozzle temp, model cool down time, print pauses after the raft was finished, Print Quality (speed), layer height ...none of them made a significant difference.

Finally, backing off the nozzle from the platform worked, raft pulled away clean with a pair of needlenose.

The auto platform height calibration usually came out to 125.6mm or 125.5mm. I backed it down to 125.4mm and voila. (and for those who are asking, platform height is measured from the lowest point the platform can go to the height at which at almost touches the nozzle ...thus lowering the height INCREASES the space between the platform and the nozzle. )