Heating bed

Share your experience with UP mni 2!
YoHidden

Heating bed

Post by YoHidden » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:45 am

Hi all,

I'm a new user with the Up Mini 2. Does anyone know what's the temp range that the heating bed can get? I have noticed that the pre-heating is extremely slow and my heated bed does not go over 65ºC even after 1 hour of pre-heating... Is this normal or a printer malfunction?

Is there any replacement for the original platform bed? I've seen the Up Mini Bed+ on the internet, but it seems to be for models previous to the Up Mini 2, right?

Cha

Re: Heating bed

Post by Cha » Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:17 pm

I have this very same issue, and I cannot find any answers. It seems to me the bed never reaches past 60-70% of what is already a restricted max for ABS printing. I note nobody from Tiertime has responded to this issue since you put it up...and I hope they will take the time to do so.

titaniumapple

Post by titaniumapple » Mon May 15, 2017 7:46 am

I've also got this problem!!

It seems that there are either a lot of faulty units or it is by design - TIERTIME ARE YOU LISTENING?!

Owen Sparks aka Marksman

Post by Owen Sparks aka Marksman » Mon May 15, 2017 9:15 am

I asked about this very topic on visiting our supplier last week. They said Mini2's heat up fine, and had a pallet of 10 UP Mini2's delivered that were all for a customer who already had 10. This gave me confidence that heating was not a problem, but then I see this thread :shock:
So:-
(1) How many people are having issues?
(2) Do TT have a specification as to how long heating is supposed to take?
(3) What is being done to address this problem?
(4) How long has this been going on?

Cheers,
Owen S.

titaniumapple

Post by titaniumapple » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:17 am

All good questions Owen...still no answer from Tiertime

JosepM

Post by JosepM » Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:39 pm

Hi,

Same issue here. Any solution?

Salut,
Josep M

aleyush

Post by aleyush » Mon May 21, 2018 8:04 am

I have the same problem with my UP mini 2.

Temperature after 30 min of preheat: 55
Temperature after 1 hour of preheat: 60
Temperature after 2 hours of preheat: 64
Temperature after 3 hours of preheat: 65.6
Temperature after 4 hours of preheat: 65.9

UPDATE
According to email conversation with support.
This is "personal primary level printer", so that is normal for it not to heat properly.

UPDATE 2
Contacted my local reseller support.
They told me that this printer model cannot heat more due to its construction, its not a problem of my printer.

tiertimefreya

Post by tiertimefreya » Mon May 21, 2018 10:15 am

YoHidden wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:45 am
Hi all,

I'm a new user with the Up Mini 2. Does anyone know what's the temp range that the heating bed can get? I have noticed that the pre-heating is extremely slow and my heated bed does not go over 65ºC even after 1 hour of pre-heating... Is this normal or a printer malfunction?

Is there any replacement for the original platform bed? I've seen the Up Mini Bed+ on the internet, but it seems to be for models previous to the Up Mini 2, right?
We just asked the technicians, this is normal, the normal temperature of the heated bed is to heat to 60 °C :P

R3M1X

Post by R3M1X » Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:03 pm

Same here - is there any solution to this ? cause due to low bed Temp, my abs printings are still warping... and it's getting annoying

Owen Sparks aka Marksman

Post by Owen Sparks aka Marksman » Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:08 am

The material manager has a platform-heat values table.

The software has a preheat for 15 minutes option.

It is reasonable to expect the platform will reach the target temperature that tiertime's software sets in the time that tiertime's software also sets.

If that doesn't work then It looks like returning these to the supplier and demanding a refund will be the only thing to get tiertime's attention.

Owen S

jhjacobsen

Post by jhjacobsen » Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:03 pm

Hi fellow printers,

I am new to 3d-printing, the Tiertime machines, and to this forum, which I have found very informative so far on a lot of topics. I have bought the Up mini 2 printer for printing ABS and polycarbonate. So far I have only printed the latter and tried to figure out how to get sufficient adhesion and heat on the bed for successful prints. At the moment I less than 50 % successrate due to warping of prints.

I have the same problem with insufficient bed temperature discussed in this tread and have resorted to use a powerful hairdryer on the bed immediately prior to printing - that way I can reach 95 degree C for first print layer. Unfortunately something goes wrong with temperature sensing if I overshoot 95 degrees and the printer claims that the hotend is 330 degrees C before it has even started to heat up. As a result the printer must be turned off and rest for some time before reheating again.

I print polycarbonate which is quite tricky to print without warping on on any surface of any larger size prints so I would really like to improve the bed temperature, optimally to above 100 degrees, but at least it would be nice to maintain the temperature I can reach with the hairdryer. Also it would be great to have a fix for the malfunction of the temperature sensor when the heated bed reaches more than 95 degrees Celsius.

Is it possible to improve bed temperature by using bed components from other printers in the tiertime range such as the UP box(+) that is specified to reach 100 degrees as opposed to the 70 degrees C the up mini 2 is specified to reach?

Cheers Jacob

migasj

Post by migasj » Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:31 am

I just received a new UP Mini ES today and can corroborate. I am over an hour into my first print and bed has only reached 74%. I have used other UP printers in the past and do not recall having this issue. Do we know for sure it is a hardware limitation and not a software throttle? It's really disappointing to not see Tiertime address this issue within the community.

Powertom

Post by Powertom » Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:59 am

The same for me. My Up mini 2 (1 week old) reaches 72% after 3 hours. 3 of 4 ABS prints (perforated plate) show warping. This is really frustrating.

bjorn

Post by bjorn » Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:23 pm

FYI I just verified my bed does not have the TO-220-2 thermostat package limiting the bed temperature, it has a footprint for the thermostat, but is not installed. That also tracks with the bed being able to reach some 90%+ if insulated/covered.

So the problem is either heater or power supply is under dimensioned.

bjorn

Post by bjorn » Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:46 am

bjorn wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:23 pm
So the problem is either heater or power supply is under dimensioned.
Hot bed FPC to the seems to be rated for 0.5A pr contact, derating to 70% if passing current through all contacts. 10 contacts in total, 2 used for z-level, 2 used for PT100 thermistor, 3 for positive and 3 for negative. Without derating thats max 1.5A into 14 ohm load.

Voltage at bed is about 14.7V. That gives us about 15 watt over 125x125mm, which is pretty close to 0.1W/cm^2 (less if we share it over 145x140mm for the whole PCB area). RepRap reccomendation is 0.4w/cm^2 for printing ABS...

On the bright side, the FPC is not in any danger of being overloaded...
Last edited by bjorn on Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rasield

Post by rasield » Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:44 am

I don't suppose there is a semi-easy fix for this like the Up Mini 1 ala https://www.tiertime.com/dami/viewtopic ... 28&t=14282 or is the heatbed in the newer Mini 2s just stuffed and need a full blown brain/hardware replacement like you are doing with yours Bjorn? Just looking for a fix or mod that might get the bed to get up to a decent temperature instead of the current 65-68C.

bjorn

Post by bjorn » Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:28 am

Not sure which part of that thread you're referring to as it included adding adittional heater and changing the thermostat.

Mine didn't have a thermostat, but a 0R resistor soldered to bypass the footprint for the thermostat, so there is nothing preventing the bed to get warm, except 14.7v into about 14 ohm can only do so much.

Adding adittional heat is possible. Bump the voltage fed to the bed to say 48V and it should perform quite well, not much room to add 48V supply inside and I doubt using a boost converter and drawing an extra 30W is good for the original power supply.

Might be room for a 100x100 silicone heater pad under the bed; mains powered would be easiest to supply - but not sure if the PWM signal is slow enough to also use with a zero crossing SSR for AC supply. A DC heater and external supply and adittional MOSFET should work but not neat.

And even if you do one of those, the whole assembly is still plastic and not sure how much hotter it a good idea.

Throw a blanket or two over the printer and it'll get up to temp, just not sure its as clever as it doesn't sound..

edit: I'd actually encourage adding the thermostat to your printers, pick a temperature (above your hottest target temp) and get the normally closed version. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/40-135- ... 60299.html

On the other hand, trying to increase the temperature may not be so smart. Only the stepper motor wires and the flex cable for the bed are rated for 125C. The rest are 60-80C.
Last edited by bjorn on Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:22 am, edited 2 times in total.

rasield

Post by rasield » Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:01 am

Hmmm... I'll take a look into those Bjorn. Guessing they changed something later on in their production of the Up Mini 2 that brought the temperature down as most of the initial reviews I'd been seeing for it claimed the bed could get to 90-100C. When I was poking about here before posting, it also looked like they use a lot of the same hardware designs between their various models, so I was hoping for a quick chip swap fix or something similar to get the heated bed up to it's original full temperature.

Just had one random thought on the blanket suggestion, think throwing some insulation inside may help the bed get up higher?

bjorn

Post by bjorn » Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:27 pm

I had to disassemble more of the printer when the x-idler broke, and it could appear the FPC for the bed on the motherboard wasn't seated properly, which could explain the potential 5v drop at 1A (assuming the bed should be connected to the 19v rail, more digging will be required; alternative is the wiring or power brick is undersized)

You might get the bed to temp faster, but it being a closed system I don't see how the equilibrium temperature will increase significantly, if at all, by adding insulation inside. The "ambient" temperature in the enclosure certainly won't change, and that also matters.
Last edited by bjorn on Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bjorn

Post by bjorn » Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:05 pm

rasield wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:01 am
Just had one random thought on the blanket suggestion, think throwing some insulation inside may help the bed get up higher?
You'll only be able to do 60% or so, the edges are resting on the plastic carrier so might get a 90x150x3mm piece of ceramic wool or cork under there but thats about it (rough eyeballing)