3rd Party Filament?

Share your experience with UP mni 2!
Javier

3rd Party Filament?

Post by Javier » Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:32 pm

So I understand that Up Filament will be the best option for the Up Mini 2 but at the moment, they do not have a true grey abs or pla which is the main color I'd like to print in.

Does anyone know of any 3rd Party filaments that work well with the Up mini 2 or any other Up Printers? doesnt matter if its abs or pla, just as long as its easy enough to remove supports.

Thanks!

MakerTree3D

Re: 3rd Party Filament?

Post by MakerTree3D » Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:31 am

I think there's a list that's starting to be compiled somewhere on the forum already, but as far as 3rd party filaments go, most 3rd party PLA won't work very well as they'll eventually jam.

We've had good luck with a variety of 3rd party ABS, ASA, Nylon, nGen, and PETG with our different UP printers including the UP Mini2. Seemingly this extruder and hotend type does exceptionally well with higher temp materials but does struggle with lower temp materials such as PLA from other brands.

To the Developers at Tiertime:
Maybe there's an option from a swappable extruder, since we don't want to lose the high temp capability that comes from these all-metal hotends on the UP printers. I would however like to have an additional tool head/ hotend that's better suited for lower temp 3rd party filaments such as the one found on the Cetus 3D printer released earlier this year on one of the Crowdfunding sites.

Either way, I agree that the UP filament is quite superior of a material, and the statement that the UP printers are 3rd party filament friendly is more true if you like using the higher temp materials exclusively. However, for those who like to print with PLA quite often, and would like to explore 3rd party options of PLA, they'll find the "3rd Party filament friendly" statement to seem less true.

JuanCR

Post by JuanCR » Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:36 pm

I'm using UP filament, but since some spools have some kind of issues with the filament quality, I think that my next spools will be from Zortrax as I've never had any problem with their filament and works as fine as Up.
Here are my test with different filaments:
https://docs.google.com/a/diseing.com/s ... sp=sharing
Last edited by JuanCR on Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tel

Post by tel » Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:37 pm

Ive found the Polymaker Polymax PLA works fine for me. Also has a grey.

realrouge

Post by realrouge » Tue Dec 27, 2016 5:37 pm

Hi All....did u noticed the new temperature option in the new UP studio software?
It works fine so far for me....lower temperature for 3rd party abs becasue the UP filament is working at higher temperature...

look for it after 16 minutes here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ksem3NVTWiA

cheers

kerstman

Post by kerstman » Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:17 pm

Works nicely with ABS from what i've seen. It doesn't really like soft filament even though we can now tweak the temperature.
I got some softer filament to feed as well but it's not really reliable and only works at slow speed.

For now the UP abs works best for me followed by the Verbatim ABS which works but still doesn't have the same finish as the original filament.
Too bad UP abs is not really easy to get, at least in my country.

Marauderz

Post by Marauderz » Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:02 am

I use 3rd party ABS, PETG and TPU in my Up Mini 2, never used PLA ever in my 3D printing journey :P.

For the main part I just adjusted the filament temperature and usually just print on normal speeds,

ABS pretty much just works as the printer is primed for it.

PETG is goopy and there's stringing due to to the fact we can't really adjust the flow speed, retratction, etc. etc. But I do get usable prints from it. The main thing that needed to be done when printing PETG was that I needed to open up the top covers AND blow a fan across the top to ventilate the print head area so that head doesn't get trapped in the print head and cause a filament slip.

TPU is VERY GOOPY and a lost cause printing fine details, like PETG, I needed to remove the top cover and keep a fan going to finish printing the Benchy boat.

MakerTree3D

Post by MakerTree3D » Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:52 pm

I wanted to take a moment to follow up regarding a couple more 3rd party filament types that we've been working with on our UP printers. Though we've tested different ABS, and PLA materials, we've mostly opted to only utilize the UPFila for these material types as it typically performs excellently for us. Instead, we've spent some time exploring some of the other materials that are available in the market that haven't been mentioned much for having been tested in the UP printers that I've seen on here.

We've been testing the colorFabb nGen on our different UP printers, and while it won't work on the UP Mini2, we do get great luck working with it through the UP Plus2. (I haven't yet tested it on the UP BOX+ though). Through the UP Plus2, the extruder temp is set to 232c and the bed at 70c. Part fan was directed towards the model half open.

Next, is the colorFabb XT, which we've had mostly unsuccessful results with both the UP BOX+ and the UP Mini2, but again for some reason the UP Plus2 had a slightly better success rate, but still not good enough to say it works well in this case. I'll come back to this one again later.

ProtoPasta PC-ABS has worked well in the UP Mini2 (haven't tested in the UP BOX+ yet), and it worked quite well. It is a warpy material similar to ABS, but maybe slightly more so. With the hotend at 270c and the heated bed of 88c in the UP Mini2 gave us great results. Part fan not blowing at the model at all since it would warp like ABS (actually a bit more warpy than standard ABS) otherwise.

The ePC from eSun has been a very easy to print with material, easy to remove supports and no warping. Printed at 258c for the hotend, 80c for the build plate and fan blowing away from the nozzle, everything came out predictably and very clean results. Prints came out looking amazing, supports removed easily and cleanly. Material is a bit on the brittle side overall.

ColorFabb has a flexible TPE called nGen Flex. Since I've had good results with their original rigid nGen on the UP Plus2, I'm starting there with the nGen Flex as well. With a hotend temp of 258c, platform set at 80c and fan directed away from the part. Since this material melts and extrudes quite easily as compared to flexibles like TPU, it can be printed with easily, with the 1 exception of truly requiring a BuildTak surface. I've repeatedly tried the buildtak-like surface on the UP Flex plates, but this surface wouldn't work for us as parts would curl up after the first several layers at least. Once I applied an original BuildTak surface to the build plate after removing the Tiertime provided Flex surface, adhesion was noticeably better and I could finally complete my first print with this filament. Printing with Rafts is still suggested as it does help to keep the parts anchored down during printing, and the rafts still tear away quite easily.

Having tried TPU materials sold by NinjaTek (NinjaFlex original, SemiFlex, Cheetah, Armadillo), none of these would give adequate results. The UP printers' inability to adjust the print speed slow enough, limits it's ability to print with TPU and other materials in general.

With some additional features that could be added to the custom material profiles, we could surely get the UP printers to work with many more materials. The most important of these features would likely just be that of a more refined Print Speed option and some control over the retraction settings like distance and speed could open up many new material options....

masrodjie

Post by masrodjie » Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:18 am

I am using eSun PLA+ and ABS+ and has no problem so far

NataliaGomezGarnica

Post by NataliaGomezGarnica » Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:55 pm

Hello everyone!
I bought some AIO Robotics PLA filament and can´t seem to find the right temperatures to make it work on my UP MINI 2.
Has anyone tried it and succeeded??

Thank you very much for your help.

MakerTree3D

Post by MakerTree3D » Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:48 am

I've found that after working with colorFabb HT this week, that it surprisingly printed well just using the default ABS setting in the UP BOX+. (Not terribly surprising since the rated temperature range is 250c-280c, and bed temp of 110c).
More specifics on our test prints so far, are with settings at 0.2mm layer height, Fine quality setting, and both the 20% and 65% infill settings. It also seemed to be hugely beneficial to have used the Flex build plate vs the Perforated plate. Fan vent was at half open, and rafts/ supports removed fairly easily considering the bond layers of this material are very tough. Interesting material to have in the filament "toolbox" for functional, end-use parts.

I'll update later with a follow up on how other prints and settings go as we continue to burn through this HT spool.

socratesjohnson

Post by socratesjohnson » Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:18 am

Anyone know where to find that list of compatible filaments?

In any case I've found Hatchbox PLA works great with the default PLA settings. No problems.

DrewPetitclerc

Post by DrewPetitclerc » Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:35 pm

Here is a cut down version of my list of current materials I have in stock and what works and what is troublesome in regards only to my UP Plus Pro.
Image:
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (299.08 KiB) Viewed 8577 times
Full file
Spool supply inventory.zip
(500.19 KiB) Downloaded 286 times
Drew Petitclerc
Petitclerc Designs
Owner/Senior Principal Designer, prototype, tooling and test equipment design and 3D printing
http://flash-graphics.deviantart.com/
http://www.thingiverse.com/DrewPetitclerc

socratesjohnson

Post by socratesjohnson » Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:35 am

Thanks!