Notes from a week+ of use

Share your experience with UP mni 2!
madone

Notes from a week+ of use

Post by madone » Tue Aug 16, 2016 3:18 pm

Hello all,

Just wanted to post I few notes from what I have learned from working with Up mini 2 for about a week that may be of use:

1. My setup is basically a stock UP mini 2 using the included ABS and the build-tac build plate, all covers in place.

2. I have found that I do not need to preheat. In general with my printer by the time the raft for a large print is part way done the build chamber will be at about 90+ percent of temp. I have printed quite a few large (full plate prints) with out any issues. In general both my nozzle temp and chamber temp bounce around 95-98% during the print.

3. I found that the automatic nozzle detect on my system puts the nozzle to close to the build plate. This made prints very difficult to remove from the plate and in fact I destroyed one of my build-tac plates when removing a large print. After that I did a manual adjustment of the nozzle height and things are much happier; prints are coming out cleaner and removing easier from the build plate.

4. Removing rafts is much easier if you let the parts fully cool down. It is temping to remove the parts sooner (and I still do :-) but support material and rafts break away much cleaner when the parts are cooled. In general I remove the build plate from the printer and set it on the desk shortly after it has finished to aid in this process.

I am relatively new to 3D printing and am still learning but all in all I have been very pleased with printer and the results that I am getting from it. The software and documentation are still a bit on the rough side but I am sure that will improve with time.

Tiertime-Jason

Re: Notes from a week+ of use

Post by Tiertime-Jason » Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:06 am

thank you for sharing.
there will be an offset option in the future version of up studio, which user can compensate for the nozzle problem.

zeeb84

Post by zeeb84 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:15 pm

madone wrote:Hello all,

Just wanted to post I few notes from what I have learned from working with Up mini 2 for about a week that may be of use:

1. My setup is basically a stock UP mini 2 using the included ABS and the build-tac build plate, all covers in place.

2. I have found that I do not need to preheat. In general with my printer by the time the raft for a large print is part way done the build chamber will be at about 90+ percent of temp. I have printed quite a few large (full plate prints) with out any issues. In general both my nozzle temp and chamber temp bounce around 95-98% during the print.

3. I found that the automatic nozzle detect on my system puts the nozzle to close to the build plate. This made prints very difficult to remove from the plate and in fact I destroyed one of my build-tac plates when removing a large print. After that I did a manual adjustment of the nozzle height and things are much happier; prints are coming out cleaner and removing easier from the build plate.

4. Removing rafts is much easier if you let the parts fully cool down. It is temping to remove the parts sooner (and I still do :-) but support material and rafts break away much cleaner when the parts are cooled. In general I remove the build plate from the printer and set it on the desk shortly after it has finished to aid in this process.

I am relatively new to 3D printing and am still learning but all in all I have been very pleased with printer and the results that I am getting from it. The software and documentation are still a bit on the rough side but I am sure that will improve with time.
When you were callibrating to lower or raise the nozzle. did you press the "+" to raise the nozzle or to raise the bed towards the nozzle

netpenthe

Post by netpenthe » Sat Sep 24, 2016 4:53 am

Once i've printed something, i find i can go back to the LCD and print that object again - but i can only see that one file on the LCD (no previous ones)

However it looks like a big empty list with my new, just printed file, down the bottom.

Is this a firmware issue? Should i be seeing a list of all the files i've printed on the mini?
Makers Empire - the world's easiest to use 3D printing software

We make a 3D Printing Learning Program for schools (K-8) - inc: software, curriculum, pd, lesson plans and a Teacher's Dashboard.

Download software: http://www.makersempire.com