X Idler broke.

Support for UP mini 2. To report a bug, post with a title [BUG REPORT]. To request a feature, post with a title [FEATURE REQUEST]
bjorn

X Idler broke.

Post by bjorn » Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:47 pm

It feels like all I do is bitch and moan about this printer; but in all honestly when it keeps breaking and there is no help to be had, what to do?

Whatever supported the idler for the belt driving the bed broke down; and from the amount of belt that has been turned into powder this too has been misaligned and rubbing against something, likely adding to the excessive noise I feel this printer has had.

Tiertime; please get your act together and start fixing these things when they break? After all this is what the internet says about this problem:
Fortunately Tiertime offers amazing support and offered to send a replacement Z-axis assembly (not just the part with the broken plastic).
(Edit; that axis is wired to X, not Y)
Attachments
IMG_20190228_184559592.jpg
IMG_20190228_184559592.jpg (565.99 KiB) Viewed 2151 times
Last edited by bjorn on Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bjorn

Re: X Idler broke.

Post by bjorn » Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:53 pm

Fixed: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3461323

(Updated this thing with a version that allows more travel btw)
Last edited by bjorn on Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bjorn

Post by bjorn » Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:59 pm

Finally got a response to the support ticket. And you guessed it, no the printer (nor my Tiertime account) is not more than 1 year old, sometimes I wonder why I bother trying. Local vendor who promised to replace the whole printer in back in January seems to be out of business, looks like this is the end.
Dear Customer,
Could you please let us know where are you from?
Because your printer had already passed warranty, you have to paid for it, cost price for the whole Z axis stand(without belt or motor inside) is $66, both Tiertime and our reseller where you purchased the printer from can sell this part. If you want to purchase it directly from Tiertime, please show us your address, shipping charge from China will be quotated by DHL as soon as possible.

bjorn

Post by bjorn » Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:36 am

Sometimes the internet is a funny place; even Google (gmail) think Tiertime support could improve their response time :lol:
2019-04-12 09_34_38-Inbox - b...@gmail.com - Gmail.png
2019-04-12 09_34_38-Inbox - b...@gmail.com - Gmail.png (13.47 KiB) Viewed 1387 times

bjorn

Post by bjorn » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:16 am

Sorry for any misunderstanding.
If you purchased the printer directly from the reseller in your region, then they must cover 1 year warranty.
Your printer's serial number 231xxx shows in our record had already passed one year which had already been shipped out from our factory in China. Please try to contact your local reseller and if there is still any help you need, kindly contact us again.
So when the shipping label on the printer box shows it was sent to my reseller in april 2016 (if I recall correctly) it was aleady out of warranty from Tiertime before I even purchased it in August 2018.

Am I on a hidden camera show or?

Owen Sparks aka Marksman

Post by Owen Sparks aka Marksman » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:31 am

Which country are you in brorn? Consumer law varies so widely from country to country. In the UK for example a product must have a minimum of a years warranty or it can't be sold, and that is from the date the end user purchases it, not when it's manufactured. There are additional protections if a credit card is used to make the purchase.

Cheers, Owen S.

bjorn

Post by bjorn » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:51 pm

Yeah, we have very strong consumer protection that goes far beyond the manufacturers warranties in most cases; however the local vendor seems to be out of business. Website is down, no replies to emails, and as mentioned before after calling them in January where they said they would ship a new printer if they had stock, and return for a full refund if that didn't do what it says on the tin.

Anyways the terms of the warranty in the manual says nothing that limits Tiertimes warranty responsibility to one year of leaving the factory either. If Tiertime want to change the terms after printing the manual, then I would like to change the terms of my purchase as well...
Beijing Tiertime Technology Limited (Tiertime) and its authorized resellers warrants to the
original purchaser that this product is free from defects in material and workmanship.
Tiertime or its resellers will for one year, at its option, repair or replace at no charge for parts
and labor from the date you purchased the product from Tiertime or a reseller.

bjorn

Post by bjorn » Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:12 pm

Dear Customer,
Sorry for the inconvenience caused.
We will continue the after-sales services for the agent, and our sales department will dealing with the qualification of the agent Unikia.
We will ship a Z axis stand for free, please provide your address with phone number for delivery, the parcel will be shipped out directly from China as soon as possible.
Maybe it will rise like a phoenix after all?

Owen Sparks aka Marksman

Post by Owen Sparks aka Marksman » Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:26 am

Good news 8-)
Owen S.

bjorn

Post by bjorn » Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:30 pm

Kinda, seeing is believing. And there is a so much other stuff wrong that I was kinda looking forward to having the whole thing replaced by my local vendor. But I'm keeping the champange in the fridge till I get the parts, I have this feeling..

Owen Sparks aka Marksman

Post by Owen Sparks aka Marksman » Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:34 am

bjorn wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:30 pm
Kinda, seeing is believing. And there is a so much other stuff wrong that I was kinda looking forward to having the whole thing replaced by my local vendor. But I'm keeping the champange in the fridge till I get the parts, I have this feeling..
Keep the faith, on occasion TT have sent me parts and they've always delivered.
O.S.

bjorn

Post by bjorn » Tue May 07, 2019 6:25 am

Owen Sparks aka Marksman wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:34 am
Keep the faith, on occasion TT have sent me parts and they've always delivered.
O.S.
we'll see, three months just to get a tracking number - admittedly i'll call this progress though

Owen Sparks aka Marksman

Post by Owen Sparks aka Marksman » Tue May 07, 2019 10:40 am

I'd be asking for an extension on my warranty...

bjorn

Post by bjorn » Wed May 08, 2019 11:35 am

Doesn't matter I cant seem to isolate what is causing the resonance, and then it'll just keep shaking itself to pieces warranty or not.

But if I get it printing I can finish up the switch to Duet hardware and supported linear rails which should all but eliminate noise and vibrations.

Have it "printing" in air now to see if I can find out where the vibrations are coming from, but even with a fancy ultrasonic vibration "gun" we can't seem to pinpoint the cause.

bjorn

Post by bjorn » Thu May 09, 2019 1:25 pm

Oh well, keeping the champange on ice a little while longer.

Received 1 piece injection molded carrier on the z-axis. No belt, no pulley, no linear shafts or bearings. (The latter two I would replace for good measure to account for excessive wear while having printed missaligned as the fault developed, the other two needs replacing before printer can be operational).

Taking bets, my money is on receiving all but one part before the warranty really does expire :lol:

Owen Sparks aka Marksman

Post by Owen Sparks aka Marksman » Thu May 09, 2019 3:20 pm

So your printer is in economy mode, its using very little power and in conserving filament stocks well?

bjorn

Post by bjorn » Fri May 10, 2019 1:39 am

Just got an order confirmation, apparently I "ordered"

1pcs
Z axis assembly - MINI2-Z
Compatibility: UP mini 2, UP mini 2 ES

Fingers crossed.

bjorn

Post by bjorn » Fri May 10, 2019 5:26 pm

For once crossing fingers actually help. Several months after filing a claim with the payment provider I was today issued a full refund for the printer.

Guess I'll just wait for the new spares, install them and send it back to the vendor. So long, and thanks for all the fish.

In the end they did send the complete assembled unit, motor and limit switch and all. Still a bit of work to replace, but they would have done this for the other issues I'd be a happy present customer, instead of a meh former customer.

Trav

Post by Trav » Sun May 19, 2019 6:18 am

Nice to know you got some feedback, fish and a refund...
I purchased the up mini 2 for my teen son back in January 2017. Since we have run over 8 Kilograms of filament through it and the only serious maintenance we needed to do was apply some lube on the linear bearings. Other than that, we changed a few nozzles, print boards, along with the usual cleaning some filament out of the bottom.

We couldn't be more happy with it. We print a lot of small parts for 3d printed RC cars including printing flex for making tires that take up nearly the entire print volume. It just keeps on printing . So far it prints everything we command it, PETG, Wood, ePA-GF, eTPU-95A, eBamboo, and Torwell copper.
Honestly I hope it will last at least another 2 years. When it finally dies, I will remix it with another controller and new steppers, and possibly a 3rd party extruder.
Let us know what you replaced it with if you buy another printer... Good Luck.

bjorn

Post by bjorn » Sun May 19, 2019 12:28 pm

If Tiertime had addressed the excessive noise when I first received the printer I would probably have shared your experience, but clearly not assembled right leading to resonance and premature failure. The only reason it buggs me is that I tried having it fixed before it failed, and when it failed it took months to address the immediate symptoms while the underlying problem persists.

New printer is a DIY Prusa i3 rework, with the magnetic print bed and powder coated PEI spring steel running the Duet Maestro board I had planned to use with the Up Mini to free it from UpStudio. But I got enough use out of the UpMini to print the hot end parts for the I3 so it wasn't all a loss.