'Platform Too Hot' error

Support for UP mini 2. To report a bug, post with a title [BUG REPORT]. To request a feature, post with a title [FEATURE REQUEST]
titaniumapple

'Platform Too Hot' error

Post by titaniumapple » Sat Dec 31, 2016 3:30 pm

Hi, I've had the Up Mini 2 since August and while preheat could be quicker, it has worked well.

Now the temperature of the print bed fluctuates randomly as it is printing - it goes from the normal expected temperature and jumps up extremely high (130+) and back again and then eventually stops printing because it thinks the platform is too hot (but in reality it's a normal temperature) - see attached photo.

I'm guessing it might be the black platform heater cable, possibly the wires inside the cable are worn out? It does a lot of movement during printing as the print bed moves backwards and forwards.

Are there any visual guides for how to replace it?

I've emailed Tiertime and iDig3Dprinting (the UK supplier I bought it from) to get a replacement, hopefully it's resolved quickly because I've got a LOT of urgent printing to do!
20161230_154331.jpg
20161230_154331.jpg (1.98 MiB) Viewed 5178 times

titaniumapple

Re: 'Platform Too Hot' error

Post by titaniumapple » Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:10 am

Does anyone know what the black cable connecting to the platform is called? Could I get a replacement from an electronics store? Really need a quick solution!

Thanks

wackojacko

Post by wackojacko » Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:11 pm

It's an ffc cable but will be tricky to find, to contact your reseller or Tiertime to get a replacement, it might be your motherboard.
Bruce
http://www.3DPrintingSystems.com

Need help with your printer, check out our Youtube channel.
https://www.youtube.com/user/3dprinting ... /playlists

titaniumapple

Post by titaniumapple » Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:30 pm

Thanks, it's definitely the ffc cable - the Up Mini 2 has a clip that holds the cable in place - but the sharp edges of the grey clip are wearing away the cable as it goes back and forth during printing and the wires inside are fraying and causing temperature fluctuations (poor design).

See below:
crimped ribbon cable.jpg
crimped ribbon cable.jpg (1.73 MiB) Viewed 5142 times
I've contacted my reseller for a new cable - but are there any diagrams/videos for how to replace the cable? I can replace the platform end of the cable but don't know where the other side of it goes to (and how to get to it).

Thanks

Tiertime-Roman

Post by Tiertime-Roman » Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:04 am

Hi Adam, I've given my response via HelpDesk. And we would like to show you the operation to replace the cable. Could you please also check my mail and give your feedback? Best regards!

titaniumapple

Post by titaniumapple » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:53 am

Roman from support has been excellent and has sent a video of how to replace the cable. Now I just need the cable! Waiting on my reseller to send one...

cales

Post by cales » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:58 am

Can the video be posted here, or do we have to contact support?

Austo63

Post by Austo63 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:00 am

Just wondering how i can get a copy of the video to replace this cable as i have the exact same issue.

Thank you in advance

Ray.

mpopken

Post by mpopken » Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:25 pm

Can we get a copy of the video as well. We have the same problem.