Anyone printing TPU with the new extruder on an UpBox?

Share your experience with UP BOX and UP BOX+
Owen Sparks aka Marksman

Anyone printing TPU with the new extruder on an UpBox?

Post by Owen Sparks aka Marksman » Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:01 pm

Hi peoples.

Is anyone printing TPU with the new extruder on an UpBox? If so please let us know how you're getting on. I have some material sitting on a shelf and an extruder on the way so am keen to know how others are getting on.

Cheers,

Owen S.

Owen Sparks aka Marksman

Re: Anyone printing TPU with the new extruder on an UpBox?

Post by Owen Sparks aka Marksman » Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:37 pm

Testing now, so far the results are looking promising. I'll post some pics later.

Owen S.

MakerTree3D

Post by MakerTree3D » Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:41 pm

We've done some testing with the new TPU extruder, using different TPU/ TPE materials and tried some nylon filament as well. Our best results so far with the exruder, actually were achieved using a custom material profile, printing with Inland TPE filament, 0.25 layer height (finest allowable with the 0.5mm nozzle), fan blowing on the art, and 6 layers of dense support (tremendously helps with ease of support removal!).

Similar trials have een done with the Tiertime TPU, NinjaTek original NinjaFlex, NinjaTek Cheetah, NinjaTek Armadilo, Inland nylon and Breathe-DP, MatterHckers Pro series nylon filaments. The harder Armadillo TPU and nylon filaments don't work very well and can clog easily since the strong spring in the extruder for the pinch bearing tends to sqeeze the filament into an oval shape which gets stuck in the throat tube afterwards.
The softer TPU and TPE materials will run great through the guided filament path of the extruder.
While The Inland TPE has produced the best results as of last week's testing, I've yet to go back and test this custom profile tweaks to some f the other flexible filaents to see if I can get the same excellent results.
I would like the option to configure a 0.4m nozzle with the TPU extruder to work with 0.2mm layer heights though, rather than being limited to the 0.25mm (or greater) layer heights of the default 0.5mm nozzle.

SpragClutch

Post by SpragClutch » Fri May 31, 2019 11:35 pm

Could it be that the Nylon is not printing well due to the Teflon Sleeve in the TPU Extruder? Nylon usually requires higher Printing Temperatures and hence the Teflon Sleeve is not suitable with the higher temps?