Please Close Front Door

Share your experience with UP BOX and UP BOX+
Rossco44

Please Close Front Door

Post by Rossco44 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:31 am

I have had the Upbox for about 18 months now and no real dramas except for the steep learning curve with getting to know the intricacies of the 3D printer.
All printing is on hold for the time being due to failure of the front door sensor, which requires replacement. I took the sensor out, cleaned it, checked the condition of the wiring and the connection to the "Close Door" plug. All seemed good.
I contacted Michael Tyson at 3D Printing Solutions in Adelaide who said he would make inquiries. This business provides great service and Michael responded to my problems very quickly.
The Door Sensor looks fairly fragile and it does appear that it would fail easily. Symptoms of failure include a message when attempting to start a print "Please Close the Front Door" The LED lights also remain on once the Upbox is initialized.
At this time I am awaiting a new sensor - price and delivery time from Tiertime is unknown.
I will let you know the outcome.
Cheers.

iPeel

Re: Please Close Front Door

Post by iPeel » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:31 am

I found the door sensor a complete pain so got rid of it by shorting out the bottom two pins on the board that the door switch is connected to. Note the top pin is a voltage rail so should not be shorted. I have a push to break switch so can imitate the door being opened if I want.

I got the details from this post which uses the same pins as a filament sensor:

viewtopic.php?t=55111

Rossco44

Post by Rossco44 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:18 am

Problem solved.
Similar fix to your solution iPeel. I used a jumper block on 2 lower pins on door switch, which is even approved by Tiertime.
Now I can print with door open, which has advantages.
Must give praise to Michael Tyson at 3D Printing Solutions for all his assistance.
Cheers.

iPeel

Post by iPeel » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:47 pm

Great stuff, glad you're up and running again. Note that the door short-out option is great until you upgrade the CPU, then the printer needs reinitialising before it will print again as it expects to see the door opened after a print before it will accept another job.

I can see why this has been done but it's kind of annoying this check can't be disabled.