UP Box/Mini 2

Share your experience with UP BOX and UP BOX+
kerstman

UP Box/Mini 2

Post by kerstman » Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:18 pm

Hey guys,

I took the big step into 3d printing and bought an Up Box together with an Up Mini 2 (actually a sale where i got 2 for 1).
For now seems like a great experience and both printers give awesome quality but...there's always a but.

-Printing the ABS that came with my Up Box - the nozzle gets so hot that it forms a sort of black residue on the tip of the nozzle that sometimes gets translated into black dots in the print. Using the default temp profile for ABS on the Up Box. On the mini2 this seems to happen a lot less even though using ABS and same default profile.

-Printing with rafts on both printers with the Up Studio - for the love of god, i cannot take them off. The raft is stuck to the print so good that i really have to struggle with the scraper for maybe 30min-1h to take it off and then i kinda ruined the bottom of the print.

-I tested printing with Up software version 2.18 on the same draft settings/nozzle height - surprise the drafts come off like a charm.

What can i do about this last one at least? I tried calibrating in different ways, really adjusted the printers properly but it seems the issue is not there.
With the same settings but a different software, the raft comes off very easily?

Printing without a raft helps here and there but depending on the print, it might lift up from the build plate as i print ABS mostly.

Any ideas are welcome!

Tiertime-Jason

Re: UP Box/Mini 2

Post by Tiertime-Jason » Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:48 am

The black spot problem:
close the wind door on the print head, so that all the cooling to nozzle is removed. The black spot is due to some small structures on the print warpped when cooled to much and start to scratch the nozzle.

The raft problem is not very clear yet, it could be also related to cooling, as more the cooling the easier for the raft to separate. We also suspect that it is software related but need to confirm.

kerstman

Post by kerstman » Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:27 am

The cooler door was closed at all times with ABS,i 'll clean the nozzle, close the door and verify with a piece of paper that there's nothing blowing on the filament and retest.

On the raft issue, i think i found the issue on the forum but with the older Up software (2.14 i think it was or so), I'm printing at 0.1 with mostly large flat geometries. I'll print at 0.15 and 0.2 tonight to see if that makes a difference on the raft removal with the Up Studio.

I'll come back with an update after i test.

Thanks Jason!

kerstman

Post by kerstman » Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:25 pm

So i tested with settings:
Settings.PNG
Settings.PNG (24.99 KiB) Viewed 11138 times
At 0.15 mm on the Up box with Up Studio:
It really can't be peeled off, i really have to ruin the print to take the raft off.
015mm.jpg
015mm.jpg (286.72 KiB) Viewed 11138 times
At 0.20 mm on the Up box with Up Studio:
Slightly better, fiddled a bit with it until it came out almost clean.
020mm.jpg
020mm.jpg (251.59 KiB) Viewed 11138 times
At 0.10 mm on the Up box with Up software 2.18 - exact same support/dense settings:
01mm with 2.18 software.jpg
01mm with 2.18 software.jpg (252.79 KiB) Viewed 11138 times
This one was the best, no force applied, just peeled off as it should.

I have already set up the up box with manual leveling and physical as well, can't get it any better.
Mini2 is also set up properly when it comes to leveling, tested with all sorts of cubes/shapes, all come out perfectly with the raft welded.
Tried PLA as well @0.15 and 0.20, it's even worse on the Mini2.

Regarding the fan door, it's slightly blowing air even when fully closed but shouldn't affect the raft as in 2.18 it comes off flawlessly.
I'll take it apart to somehow shut it off totally when printing abs or try with a material that can take a bit of cooling.

Until then...what can i do with the rafts? At this point i want to print lithophanes and both the UP and the Mini2 are unusable when it comes to a finished print with raft removed.

Prints are awesome but removing the raft ruins them.

Btw..didn't get to test with UP 2.18 on the mini 2 as it seems not to want to work with it, throwing all kind of errors, couldn't print with that.
Guess it's normal since the soft is not optimized for the mini2.

Any ideas?

kerstman

Post by kerstman » Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:07 pm

After reading practically every topic on this forum ,seems i'm not the only one getting this issue with Up Studio and not with Up 2.18.

So...when's the next software update coming out? :D

kerstman

Post by kerstman » Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:06 pm

More tests on the mini2 as well.

0.25mm with the same settings as for the up. This one almost peels off nicely. 0.15 and 0.20mm unusable.
WP_20161129_19_02_33_Pro.jpg
WP_20161129_19_02_33_Pro.jpg (303.41 KiB) Viewed 11110 times
Anyone any clue?

Tiertime-Jason

Post by Tiertime-Jason » Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:08 am

Hello,

Right now we also optimizing the raft separation for UP Studio. On the over hand, if you want better raft separate, give some more cooling to the nozzle (when printing the first few layers of the model).

kerstman

Post by kerstman » Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:00 pm

Believe me, i have tried that as well. Gave some air while printing the raft, while printing first few layers of the print and other different combinations.

This is a print on Up box with 0.1mm setting, raft and first 3 layers of the print cooled.
WP_20161201_15_55_11_Pro.jpg
WP_20161201_15_55_11_Pro.jpg (259.96 KiB) Viewed 11086 times
It's only a 2cmx1cm cube and this was the result.

Trying with ABS without raft and most of the times it just lifts up and doesn't stick properly (after i lowered the nozzle with 0.2mm to compensate the no raft).

Really hope for an update on the software soon.

kerstman

Post by kerstman » Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:17 pm

And the cleanest print/raft removal so far.
At 0.15 on the Up box with the 2.18 software, ABS. The print just popped off the raft while i was trying to remove it from the flex board.
WP_20161201_22_09_36_Pro.jpg
WP_20161201_22_09_36_Pro.jpg (271.18 KiB) Viewed 11074 times

3DWP

Post by 3DWP » Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:36 pm

Up Studio does have different raft and slicing parameters, for this reason I still use Up software 2.18. The newer Up printers like Up Mini 2 and Up Box+ won't (edit: only work with Up Studio - not older Up software 2.18) work with Up Studio because the layer height presets will not show up under Setup (the software will show ''please update your app'').

Also I get different tolerances in Up Studio versus 2.18, I think Up Studio overextrudes a bit so models looks nicer layerwise but this way models are printed a bit thicker. I upgraded my Up Box to an Up Box+ CPU but will go back to the older CPU because I need 2.18 for raft removal en reliability.. Sorry but I'm a bit disappointed since this whole Up Studio debacle.
Last edited by 3DWP on Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kerstman

Post by kerstman » Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:48 pm

Yep, i noticed that as well but let's say that's not the biggest deal breaker. Until the software is fixed and will have a proper raft removal as the 2.18 version, i switched to Innofil Pro1 filament with no raft. This allows me to print raftless on Up Studio and have no curling, at least so far.

Now i just have to figure out why while printing on a flex board (selected in software as well), in the middle of the board i get the first 2 layers with a small square that the printer just seems to sorta jump over it.

I noticed that the square correlates with the screw that's under the board (can see it when i put the perf board) but what's the point of selecting the flex board in software if i still get the square? I know that the flex and perf board are different thickness but...

A bit disappointed on the plug&play so far... you can do that but until you actually dial it in... spent 2 rolls of abs in 1 week mostly on testing on the box&mini.

Guess we'll have to wait and see how this evolves...

espinetegg

Post by espinetegg » Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:48 am

UP_3DWP wrote:Up Studio does have different raft and slicing parameters, for this reason I still use Up software 2.18. The newer Up printers like Up Mini 2 and Up Box+ won't work with Up Studio because the layer height presets will not show up under Setup (the software will show ''please update your app'').

Also I get different tolerances in Up Studio versus 2.18, I think Up Studio overextrudes a bit so models looks nicer layerwise but this way models are printed a bit thicker. I upgraded my Up Box to an Up Box+ CPU but will go back to the older CPU because I need 2.18 for raft removal en reliability.. Sorry but I'm a bit disappointed since this whole Up Studio debacle.
Hi, I bought a cpu upgrade kit for my upbox too, but I didn´t install it for me same reason, raft problems with up studio, so I will not upgrade until I test that upstudio raft works fine :cry: I will use 2.18

kerstman

Post by kerstman » Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:46 am

Waiting on that fix... :D

effgee

Post by effgee » Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:50 am

Great. So those of us with an UP Box+ *can't* use UPv2.18, which apparently rafts and supports properly.
So my only options are:
1/ wait another eternity for the software to be fixed,
2/ print on the min in multiple pieces and glue together, or
3/ print on the Up with the latest version of studio, and spend hours chiselling and trashing my models.

And to think the ease of release was one of the main reasons I went for the up over the Flashforge Creator pro.
I'm starting to understand why they made the deal "buy an UP Box+, get an Up mini free".... :/

Can anyone from Tiertime (Tear time ?) advise on the status of fixing this debacle ?
(from another thread:
Postby Tiertime-Jason » Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:45 am

Hello,

We are fully aware of this and is working on it now, will have a solution very soon."

It's over 3 weeks now.

Tiertime-Jason

Post by Tiertime-Jason » Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:53 am

The raft separation issue, will be fixed in next version and it will be released soon (within Jan 2017)

kerstman

Post by kerstman » Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:23 am

Thanks Jason!!!