Our first attempt at two colours in the one print

Share your experience with UP BOX and UP BOX+
ideas108

Our first attempt at two colours in the one print

Post by ideas108 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 2:33 am

Hi All

we are making progress - Here is our first attempt @ 2 Colours in the one Print.

Software 2.18

Up Box using buttons on side

Pause --Withdraw-- Extrude. (Remove Rubbish extruded from head) -- Resume
web1.jpg
web1.jpg (20.92 KiB) Viewed 4205 times
Feedback welcome on how to improve it further

Regards

John

NAST555

Re: Our first attempt at two colours in the one print

Post by NAST555 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:44 am

Very Cool! Looks great!

It is something that I have been meaning to try. How did the layers bond? Easily? Is it ABS or PLA? Did you just guess at which layer to pause it or did you watch the print and pause it manually where you wanted to change over?
The distance between insanity and genius is measured only by success

Owen Sparks aka Marksman

Post by Owen Sparks aka Marksman » Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:32 am

Nice.

I've had similar results using Up-Box with 2.17 using the "pause at height" feature then swapping colours. I use if for signs and the like whereby the base is one colour and the letters another.

I've only tried printing in ABS and bonding is fine. Only tried swapping as soon as it's paused, not letting it cool and then starting again.

Also had a play with pausing the print to insert nuts into pockets into the print then resuming to have proper captive metal threaded fittings. This works but is a bit of a pain. Inserting the nuts with the build plate in the machine is tricky, and if the plate is removed it bows to hell and is then really hard to replace in the UP-box. Alignment also hard as the perfboard seems to seat differently when hot vs/cold. Also the damn software won't let us prevent supports for the cap of the nuts being created (as it doesn't know a nut will be there). So they have to be picked out before inserting the nuts...

Overall worth the effort though.

By the by there is a nice kickstarter project that allows one filament to be withdrawn and a different on inserted by a pair of steppers, so dual colour printing with just one extruder, as a retro fit bolt on to existing printers.

Cheers,

Owen S.

cederron

Post by cederron » Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:28 pm

OwenSparks wrote:
By the by there is a nice kickstarter project that allows one filament to be withdrawn and a different on inserted by a pair of steppers, so dual colour printing with just one extruder, as a retro fit bolt on to existing printers.

Cheers,

Owen S.
Sorry, Not going to work with up printers as you cant use diferent software or a custom firmware...