The UP Box... not a good start...

Share your experience with UP BOX and UP BOX+
Magic

The UP Box... not a good start...

Post by Magic » Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:56 am

I took delivery of an Up Box just a week ago, as I'm typing this the Box is awaiting collection for return to the supplier as its faulty!

I've been using, with a great deal of success an Up2 Plus for quite a few years. Only decided to buy the Box for the increased build volume.

If I'm honest I'm really quite disappointed, thus far I cannot say the print quality is any better, if it is, its only marginal.

The automatic Platform Calibration and the Automatic Nozzle Height Calibration has proved to be pretty much useless. Given that calibration is key to printing success I can understand the motivation to provide an automatic calibration system, especially considering that the Manual Calibration is complicated, confusing and illogical. Personally I would have worked towards simplifying Manual Calibration, only then might the need for Automatic Calibration be evaluated.

While the Box seems to have had quite a lot of development put into it, its design is nothing new. The X/Y gantry type print head with Z axis applied to the otherwise static build platform is probably the best mechanical configuration (compared to the Z/Y platform on the fly configuration of the Up2), however thus far I've not seem any significant improvement in the printed part accuracy.

With the particular Box I received the Automatic Calibration failed 'out of the box'! This resulted in the Nozzle crashing into the build platform and damage to the Flex-Board! Having calibrated the machine manually I preceded to print a part using the laminated Flex-Board. The printed part 'fused' to the Flex-Board making it impossible to remove, in fact its destroyed the Flex-Board and the printed part.

Next AFTER having to manually re-calibrate (as the Flex-Board and Perf-Boards are different thicknesses) I tried printing using the Perf-Board. This is when I discover the keyhole slots in the Perf-Board get filled with plastic making it VERY difficult to remove!

The Flex/Perf-Board fixing method is a nightmare! It's hard to imagine how the designers ever thought it would be a 'good idea' to produce something that is so difficult, awkward and non-user-friendly! Worse than that, its a recipe for disaster... it is so EASY to mis-fit the Flex/Perf-Board such that part of it is sitting on TOP of a screw head, thus making it too high which results in the Nozzle crashing!

Design issues aside my Box has been returned because of another fault, after an extended print time, 7 or 8 hours into a 14 hour print the extruder stops resulting in a failed print. After the macing has cooled down again, it will then work 'seemingly' normally.

The Box 'looks good', the basic mechanical design 'should' work well and with the Up2 in its heritage it 'should' be really good. It is such a crying shame that it is let down so badly with pathetic 'schoolboy design level' failures! I'm no marketing expert but I would imagine these shortfalls being high damaging to its potential selling power.

I'm having my Box repaired/replaced as I intend to 'keep faith' for now at least. Most likely I'll stick with it and apply my own design modifications to the machine to resolve at least some of the issues.

Liova

Re: The UP Box... not a good start...

Post by Liova » Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:28 am

Calibration works fine, it is height detection that doesn't work.

3DWP

Re: The UP Box... not a good start...

Post by 3DWP » Mon Aug 29, 2016 3:44 pm

Indeed, automatic height detection is just not perfect with this setup. The sensor and perf board can all be a bit different so I think a user should always inspect the height.

Maybe the sensor is good for a rough estimation, then the old way of the Up sofware (from a few years ago) to adjust could be added again.

The old software would lay a line, first almost in the air (depending on start height) and then in steps of 0.1 mm closer and closer to the platform.

When you were happy with the flatness of the printed line you would hit OK and the table height was set.