Printing PETG

Share your experience with UP BOX and UP BOX+
toto44

Printing PETG

Post by toto44 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:34 pm

Thanks to the new version of UP Studio, there is the possibility to set the nozzle and bet temp. THANKS for this.

Now I started printing PET. The problem I am facing is that very often (50% of all prints) the extruder can not extrude any more. Sometime after the first 2-3 layers, sometimes after 30-40% of the print.

Anybody any idea what might cause this problem?

I tried several nozzle temperatures from 220-270, but it is always the same.

Toto

orthoa

Re: Printing PETG

Post by orthoa » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:32 am

Which brand of material? I've used taulman PETG and PETT with just the standard ABS setting on the UP! Box (270C Nozzle, 100C Bed) and never had any issues with printing it. In fact it prints better than UP! ABS

gordon37

Post by gordon37 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:25 am

try print in FAST speed and make sure your filament driving gear is clean.
this is the tip i learnt from printing Z-PETG on Zortrax

Slavic Props

Post by Slavic Props » Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:04 pm

I found that the siphon style feed on the side doesn't work too well with PETG for me. I mounted the spool above the printer on the wall &
I drilled a small hole in the lid. I keep it slightly open so the filament isn't being pulled upward anymore and my prints don't fail.

Printer: UP Box
Filament: Esun PETG
Nozzle Temp. : 234
Bed Temp. : 65
Layer Height: .25 mm
Print Quality: Fine

Above are the settings for the print posted below:

pleppik

Post by pleppik » Fri Aug 12, 2016 2:38 am

I have been successfully printing PETG on my Up Plus with some very large prints, using cheap PETG filament I picked up at my local Microcenter.

However, I had to slightly modify my hot end to make it work without jamming after 20-60 minutes of printing. Here are the steps I followed:

1) I disassembled my Up’s hot end and removed the nozzle from the heater block and feed tube assembly.

2) Using an ordinary handheld drill and a 2mm bit, I drilled the inside of the feed tube to an inner diameter of 2mm. I used a file to smooth off the burrs.

3) I reassembled the hot end and recalibrated the printer.

4) No more jams!

My theory is that the PETG gets a little sticky as it warms up in the feed tube, and that's what causes the jams. But making the tube a little bigger gives it enough tolerance to not jam.

I've successfully printed models which took over 18 hours to print using PETG and my modified hot end.

PETG is great material for printing. It's stronger than ABS, but doesn't crack or warp, and support removal is no harder than with PLA. Layer adhesion is excellent.

Honestly, this stuff is unbelievably tough.

The only disadvantage is that you can't glue it, because nothing sticks to it. So plan to assemble your models with screws or design them to be snap-together.