Error - Grinding noise when platform bed is being raised

Share your experience with UP BOX and UP BOX+
titaniumapple

Error - Grinding noise when platform bed is being raised

Post by titaniumapple » Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:54 pm

Hi,

I have had an Up Box (since September 2015) and it has worked fine. It is now making an intermittent grinding noise as the platform is being raised (during Initialize and Auto Levelling) and when it makes the noise the platform doesn't move up (as if the gears are slipping or something).

The error on the Up Box software occurs during the Auto Levelling, because the platform hasn't raised high enough to touch the sensor on the nozzle (because the grinding noise/gear slipping causes it to stall as it raises up).

Any idea what is causing this and what can be done?

Thanks

titaniumapple

Re: Error - Grinding noise when platform bed is being raised

Post by titaniumapple » Mon Apr 11, 2016 2:46 pm

Just a thought, could it be the air temperature? If it's colder than 15 degrees C and humid, could that make the cables/teeth slip?

DrewPetitclerc

Post by DrewPetitclerc » Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:48 pm

Have you ever lubed the bearings, do you check the tensions in the belts?
Every 3D printer in existence today requires some basic maintenance and I hear users complain when their machines start acting up and then they are reminded to do these.
Drew Petitclerc
Petitclerc Designs
Owner/Senior Principal Designer, prototype, tooling and test equipment design and 3D printing
http://flash-graphics.deviantart.com/
http://www.thingiverse.com/DrewPetitclerc

titaniumapple

Post by titaniumapple » Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:53 pm

DrewPetitclerc wrote:Have you ever lubed the bearings, do you check the tensions in the belts?
Every 3D printer in existence today requires some basic maintenance and I hear users complain when their machines start acting up and then they are reminded to do these.
Thanks, how do you check the tension in the belts? And can I use the same grease I use on the rails with the bearings?

Thanks!