A public Library experience of the first 12 Months with an Up box

Share your experience with UP BOX and UP BOX+
ideas108

A public Library experience of the first 12 Months with an Up box

Post by ideas108 » Fri Mar 18, 2016 2:45 am

Hi everyone

In May this year we will have had our first 12 months with the UP Box so I thought I would share some thoughts. We were one of the early adopters of the UP Box here in Australia.

Its part of our innovation centre with 2 UP Mini's and a 3D scanner and what a journey we have been on. In my initial research on what to buy I spent 2 months talking with Colleagues before selecting the Up range.

I have to say the first 6 months were an absolute nightmare and I began to dislike the box with a passion and wanted to send it back but I am stubborn and decided to stick with it. We wasted many rolls of filament with failed jobs, and often I looked at the statement in the marketing brochure that referred to an "exemplar" printer and went hmmm.

Along the way we learnt that for us being in North Queensland in Australia where high humidity is the order of the day unless we print with airconditioning on expect problems given that temperature in the room when the aircon is off can be above 35 degrees Celsius on a day.

Personally I feel that the documentation needs to better reflect the heat issue relating to operating environments

We had trouble with the white print cable but this was replaced quickly and so we persevered. We replaced the print head enclosure and coupled with the cable fix began to see significant improvement.

Supplier support is core to making this stuff work and 3D Printer Systems in NZ have had to cope with a sometimes cranky and frustrated Library Manager but they did it with style and good humour.

The Documentation for the printer is I believe good.

In a Public Library environment we need to be able to teach people about 3D printing and have 100 percent confidence in the printers because our public image is impacted by peoples perceptions. I think I am now at the 70% stage and its getting better.

As to the new software we have had great success with it in particular with the lithophane? (spelling) side of it and we are exploring this with Artists in our community.

Our needs are not as complex as many of you we are about exposing our community to what is possible and creating opportunities for them to try it out in an easy as possible environment.

Tiertime thank you for the voucher please reallocate it to someone else as the paperwork I would have to go through given that we are local government negates the value to us. I am happy for you to do this.

The future for us with this gear is exciting, wifi enabling the UP BOX is a game changer for us in terms of taking it off site so we can run classes anywhere.

We look forward to what is coming.

John Scott
Burdekin Library

Tiertime-Joseph

Re: A public Library experience of the first 12 Months with an Up box

Post by Tiertime-Joseph » Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:44 am

Hi John,

Thank you so much for sharing.

Joseph

wackojacko

Post by wackojacko » Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:28 am

Hi John

Thanks for your feedback, it is really great to hear this and I'll let our support team know, as they work hard trying to keep customers ship-shape with their printers. We feedback all issues to Teirtime who intern make a better product for the community at large. I am glad that we finally got you sorted and thanks to you for your patience!

We will be sending you a little thankyou and hope to see you at Edutech in Brisbane end of May (free to attend the Expo)

Kind regards
Bruce
Bruce
http://www.3DPrintingSystems.com

Need help with your printer, check out our Youtube channel.
https://www.youtube.com/user/3dprinting ... /playlists

ideas108

Post by ideas108 » Thu Mar 24, 2016 3:19 am

Hello everyone

Just a follow up

I could not resist printing this using the new software and the UPBox

The link should take you to our facebook page where you can say hi to Mr "Attitude"

I got the message board has reached its upload quota

https://www.facebook.com/BurdekinLibrar ... 65/?type=3

Easter Greetings to All