Poor Print Quality

Share your experience with UP BOX and UP BOX+
Matchpoint

Poor Print Quality

Post by Matchpoint » Wed Dec 16, 2015 2:22 pm

Hi Everyone,

I just purchased an up box after having an up mini. My mini is work horse, however I am having some problems with the box.

Firstly I tried to do all auto calibration, and that failed miserably. The print head got clogged because it was too close to the platform. Not the end of the world I manually calibrated the platform and nozzle height and it seems to be fine within the Z axis.

I am really struggling with the x and y print quality. I have tried printing in different resolutions (.1, .2, and .3) all seems to have layer mismatch.
I have tried with normal and fine speeds. The print quality on the .1 looked like a dog chew toy in the shape of a print. I am not sure what to check or what to change.

Here is a picture of a zoomed in version printed at .15 resolution.
upload photo

Tiertime-Jason

Re: Poor Print Quality

Post by Tiertime-Jason » Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:13 am

Please contact your distributor or support@pp3dp.com, I believe they will solve your problems.

steelmans

Post by steelmans » Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:54 am

Matchpoint wrote:I am really struggling with the x and y print quality. I have tried printing in different resolutions (.1, .2, and .3) all seems to have layer mismatch.
I have tried with normal and fine speeds. The print quality on the .1 looked like a dog chew toy in the shape of a print. I am not sure what to check or what to change.
This looks like the problem I had with the platform moving (see attached). The solution was to manually adjust the bed until it was tight with the adjustment screws. Then adjust them slightly to get the bed flat (but keeping them as tight as possible).
Attachments
IMG_2065.jpg
IMG_2065.jpg (151.73 KiB) Viewed 8170 times

Matchpoint

Post by Matchpoint » Thu Dec 17, 2015 3:26 pm

I will try a few things. Up Support is working with me now.

I had to use my mini to print the new head cover because I couldn't get a good continuous print, whether it was an air print or very poor quality.

Matchpoint

Post by Matchpoint » Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:13 pm

So I have done the following:

Printed the updated extrusion cover
cleaned and adjusted the specific base plate to the platform by tightening the screws accordingly so there were no high spots that the board flexed
cleaned the extrusion head/feeder/nozzle
tightened up the bed adjustments, then using the software and a feeler gauge set the height of the nozzle at each of the 9 points respectively.
cleaned and greased the x and y guide rail shafts

Now I am printing the calibration print on the "fine" setting at 100 microns
-Raft is secure and looks to be a good distance

6 hours until finished...

Acris

Post by Acris » Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:25 pm

Matchpoint wrote:Hi Everyone,

I just purchased an up box after having an up mini. My mini is work horse, however I am having some problems with the box.

Firstly I tried to do all auto calibration, and that failed miserably. The print head got clogged because it was too close to the platform. Not the end of the world I manually calibrated the platform and nozzle height and it seems to be fine within the Z axis.

I am really struggling with the x and y print quality. I have tried printing in different resolutions (.1, .2, and .3) all seems to have layer mismatch.

Here is a picture of a zoomed in version printed at .15 resolution.
upload photo

Take a look at the magnets on the back of the print head and make sure they are not backing out of their housing. I had this issue when I first got mine. I glued them in and have not had the problem since.
There is 3 magnets in the housing and one on the back of the print head. Make sure they are all in place.

Hope this helps!

Tiertime-Jason

Post by Tiertime-Jason » Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:24 am

check the magnets that holding the printhead. If displace or became weak, the printhead may wobble.

Matchpoint

Post by Matchpoint » Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:47 pm

Tiertime-Jason wrote:check the magnets that holding the printhead. If displace or became weak, the printhead may wobble.
Brandon at Tiertime has worked with me on addressing the issue.

Diego.Giovany

Post by Diego.Giovany » Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:05 pm

Can you told us what was the cause of the bad quality?

Thanks
Matchpoint wrote:
Tiertime-Jason wrote:check the magnets that holding the printhead. If displace or became weak, the printhead may wobble.
Brandon at Tiertime has worked with me on addressing the issue.

Matchpoint

Post by Matchpoint » Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:31 pm

I think it was one of the stepper motors that had something wrong with it, but you would actually have to ask tier time as they have the printer.