My UP BOX problems

Share your experience with UP BOX and UP BOX+
steelmans

My UP BOX problems

Post by steelmans » Thu Oct 29, 2015 3:20 pm

I wondered how everyone is getting on with their Up Boxes?

I try not to be negative in general and I am trying my best to like this printer (it looks cool) but the past 6 or 7 weeks haven't been too good.

I have spent a lot of time with emails, support tickets, taking to my supplier, distributor and Up themselves. Also I have wasted lots of (expensive) material and time messing around with testing. Here is a very brief idea of just some of the problems since getting the Up Box:-

- Firstly I couldn't get the computer to connect with the Up Box. After lots of messing around it turned our I needed to buy a powered USB hub to connect to the printer (Only on the other side of a small room).

- Strange noise from the axis when printing. Aplied lubricant as advised by support and it was a bit better but still not super quiet as Up advertise.

- Fan was fitted upside down so switched it around... DOH!

- Spent loads of time trying to get the software working correctly. Turns out you can't print without rafts on the Mac version. Actually the Mac version is rubbish so had to pay for Parallels so I could run the Windows version. Although I am let to believe that the Windows version is being updated to you can actually remove raft/support on any resolution rather than just 0.2mm.

- X-axis slip in "Fast" setting wasting 8-9 hour prints. Painful.

- It is bad enough that the Up Box doesn’t work with 3rd party filaments but...
I bought 6 or 7 rolls of Up filament in the UK. The roll supplied with my Up Box was superb with the support material coming off easily. However these new rolls are terrible and actually damage the parts to remove support or raft. Turns out although it wasn't marked differently the new rolls are ABS+ denoted by C-13 and are nowhere near as good as the original ABS (support removal played a big part in choosing the Up). After much messing around and trying everyone to source orginal ABS the distributor has decided they will now stock original ABS (C-01 and C-11).

- The lack of availability of accessories and spares is only overshadowed by the prices. Apart from filament costs I just paid £78 for 2 brass nozzles and a perfboard!!! I needed to buy the nozzles as one of the ones supplied by the factory was already blocked with something!

- Today the vibration noise has got even worse and the Up Box is extremely loud, I can hear it screaming away across the other side of the building and even down the stairs.

- Whilst I was sending yet another ticket to Up support the Box gave a bang and to to add insult the fan has blown. Something else to buy!

BTW This isn't a complete list of the issues. Ok some of these problems are related to a faulty product and I should have done more homework but they do add up to a poor user experience.

In my opinion this printer was too expensive to tolerate all of the problems and restrictions. I believe I have given this printer more than a fair chance and wasted so much of my time.

I hope some of you are having trouble free printing!!!

Tiertime-Joseph

Re: My UP BOX problems

Post by Tiertime-Joseph » Fri Oct 30, 2015 6:37 am

Hello Steelmans,

Sorry for the bad experience that you had, and our support team will continue working with you to resolve any issues that you raised.

If you have more concerns, please send me email at joseph.guo#pp3dp.com

Thank you

Joseph

David Riley

Post by David Riley » Sun Nov 01, 2015 3:11 pm

[quote="steelmans"]I wondered how everyone is getting on with their Up Boxes?

I have upgraded from UP Plus for build area, and UP Box is so much better than I expected. It's not put a foot wrong yet.
Everything has come out perfect and it's a lot easier to use.

steelmans

Post by steelmans » Sun Nov 01, 2015 6:51 pm

David Riley wrote:I have upgraded from UP Plus for build area, and UP Box is so much better than I expected. It's not put a foot wrong yet.
Everything has come out perfect and it's a lot easier to use.
I'm really pleased to hear that David. I am working through the issues with Up support who are currently trying to help with the vibration noise. I have sent them a video that they are going to pass on higher up the chain so I hope to have it sorted soon. If I can get the BOX to quieten down it will be a lot easier to live with and put things right.

titaniumapple

Post by titaniumapple » Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:31 pm

Interesting to hear what you've gone through - I had a few teething issues with feeding filament through and 'air prints', once I got it going though it's pretty good (compared to your issues anyway!).

As I've posted elsewhere, the big problem for me is support removal - if I can't get it sorted, it's a deal-breaker for me. It is supposed to be automatic (and that's how it's sold), but I'll probably have to do a lot of tinkering to get it working properly, maybe use a different support creator. Meshmixer seems the best shot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFTyTV3wwsE

Also I found this to help with failed prints - https://www.simplify3d.com/support/prin ... eshooting/

There have been a few small burn marks but other than the supports, it has gone pretty well for me - as long as I watch the print for the first few layers to make sure it's not going to do an air print.

Acris

Post by Acris » Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:36 pm

Hey Steelsman,

Take a look at your housing for the extruder block. There are 3 magnets that are in the housing and to the best of my knowledge do NOT come glued from the factory. I had a support ticket out and they recommended I glued them into the housing to fix the issue. I was noticing the magnets would back out during a few hours of printing. this may help the slipping and possibly noise reduction.

Hope this helps!

steelmans

Post by steelmans » Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:10 am

Acris wrote:Hey Steelsman,

Take a look at your housing for the extruder block. There are 3 magnets that are in the housing and to the best of my knowledge do NOT come glued from the factory. I had a support ticket out and they recommended I glued them into the housing to fix the issue. I was noticing the magnets would back out during a few hours of printing. this may help the slipping and possibly noise reduction.

Hope this helps!
Thanks for the advice. Mine did come glued from the factory but the rear one has came off 3 times already (maybe due to vibration). I've now used "super super" super glue so hopefully it won't come loose again.

I did say my list of problems wasn't complete... ;-)

Acris

Post by Acris » Wed Nov 04, 2015 1:02 pm

Ahh I see.

My first Upbox was a lemon for sure. After going through a month of troubleshooting and sending it back, they sent me a vigorously tested unit that is still going strong!(knocking on wood)

It seems they might of jumped the gun a little bit but as long as there is a positive resolution, I am fine.

Their printer was billed as "Out of the Box ready to Print", which in some cases, was not fully true. I do hope you get your problems solved with haste! Now,I love my Upbox and will be using it with the temp switch shortly!

NAST555

Post by NAST555 » Wed Nov 04, 2015 4:30 pm

Oh wow Steelmans I am actually really sorry to hear about your problems. If I were in the same situation I would ask for a new unit.

I have been pretty lucky, not many complaints about my box. I hope that your supplier steps "UP" and replaces your unit for a new and improved one.
The distance between insanity and genius is measured only by success

amd-tec

Post by amd-tec » Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:35 pm

"- Strange noise from the axis when printing. Aplied lubricant as advised by support and it was a bit better but still not super quiet as Up advertise.
- Today the vibration noise has got even worse and the Up Box is extremely loud, I can hear it screaming away across the other side of the building and even down the stairs."

Same here, really noisy axis when printing...and the vibration noise, thats weard. Thought this printer would be silence one, but not.
Will try printing with fine mode tomorrow, now tested only with normal speed.
"3D design with intelligent printing"
http://www.amd-tec.com

Tiertime-Jason

Post by Tiertime-Jason » Sat Nov 28, 2015 6:59 am

normal printing should quiet.
May be having a loose screw somewhere and causing resonance.
Please contact support if the noise is consistent.

pp3dp.nl

Post by pp3dp.nl » Sat Nov 28, 2015 11:02 am

I did have a humming noise the first time I put on the Box but that was the air filter that is spinning at high speeds. I put some foam between it and the outer cover of the printer. Also the filter itself inside the thing created some noise. It should be fixed to the cover with dampeners like rubber rings or something.

steelmans

Post by steelmans » Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:47 am

I just wanted to let you all know that UP worked with me on the issues and they are now all resolved. The support was fantastic and now the UP BOX is running flawlessly and I am getting superb prints every day.

WELL DONE UP!

amd-tec

Post by amd-tec » Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:29 pm

steelmans wrote:I just wanted to let you all know that UP worked with me on the issues and they are now all resolved. The support was fantastic and now the UP BOX is running flawlessly and I am getting superb prints every day.

WELL DONE UP!
So what did you do to eliminate resonance voice?
"3D design with intelligent printing"
http://www.amd-tec.com

steelmans

Post by steelmans » Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:06 pm

amd-tec wrote:So what did you do to eliminate resonance voice?
I'm not entirely sure as we made a lot of changes. I believe something had worked loose but I couldn't say what because I checked every nut and bolt. It is now superb, very quiet!

The UP BOX is a excellent machine!

car3less

Post by car3less » Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:43 am

We had lots of problems with our Up Box. Since we received it one print was good and 2 were failures.

First, the nozzle assembly was weak and it broke after cleaning the nozzle. We had to replace it.
Another problem was that the printer stopped in the middle of the print giving temperature errors. "Over heating".
Now, the nozzle is not even heating anymore. It's been 6 months now with this chaos.

I even stopped talking to the support because I am starting to hate this printer.

And because my Up PLus 2 was working great I was expecting Up Box to be better.
I made a huge mistake buying the second.

steelmans

Post by steelmans » Mon Dec 07, 2015 8:54 am

I understand how you feel but I would stick with it. It was the best move I made. My UP BOX is now running almost all day every day and if I get a rare failed print it is generally down to my user error :roll:

pp3dp.nl

Post by pp3dp.nl » Mon Dec 07, 2015 3:22 pm

@car3less:

Maybe try TierTime directly if you haven't already. You should get a working Up Box!

JWA

Post by JWA » Mon Dec 07, 2015 6:58 pm

car3less wrote:We had lots of problems with our Up Box. Since we received it one print was good and 2 were failures.

First, the nozzle assembly was weak and it broke after cleaning the nozzle. We had to replace it.
Another problem was that the printer stopped in the middle of the print giving temperature errors.
I had similar problems for a few months.
Finally after last visit to my local distributor, fixing few things, and changing extruder for a new one, my Up Box started to work AMAZING. Huge 25 cm long ABS prints without warping, very good print quality.
You should definitely ask Your reseller for a correct working mashine. Good luck

car3less

Post by car3less » Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:46 pm

pp3dp.nl wrote:@car3less:

Maybe try TierTime directly if you haven't already. You should get a working Up Box!
Should I buy another one? :)) Because in the last year no one offered to replace it.

I contacted them many times. But didn't help much. I got tired of exchanging e-mails and tried to solve the problems locally, with someone who builds 3D printers. :)
When something is fixed something else gets broken. 70% of the prints made with it are failures.

In time I got used to the idea that it was bad investment.
There is no local distributor in my area. And sending it back to England would probably cost me money which I am not willing to pay. Because it's not my fault.

I won a Finder in a contest from Flashforge. Even if their printer is smaller and cheaper, the prints are 1000% better than on Up Box. In 5 months I had 2 or 3 failures. And I use it almost every single day. Still using Up Plus 2 from Tiertime which is also very good.

But Up Box...
Latest print below... :lol:
Attachments
12736570_962603143821929_287841101_o.jpg
12736570_962603143821929_287841101_o.jpg (115.58 KiB) Viewed 20670 times