Pausing Process

Share your experience with UP BOX and UP BOX+
AntKendo

Pausing Process

Post by AntKendo » Tue May 28, 2019 12:04 am

Hi All,

Yesterday I started an 8 hour print with knowledge that I needed to pause it and leave it for an hour whilst not present (I work in a school and I can't leave the printer running unattended). I paused the print for an hour then returned to start the print. In this time I noticed that the extruder was still at temperature (210 degrees). This can't be good for the printer, nor energy consumption. Needless to say when the print resumed it failed to extrude and I had to withdraw the filament and reload it. At this point the print was binned. Is there a way of pausing the printer and completely shut it down during pause? Or at lease pause it allowing the components to cool?

Thanks in advance

Ant

AntKendo

Re: Pausing Process

Post by AntKendo » Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:38 am

I'm guessing by the lack of responses the answer is no :). I have discovered that you can set the printer to 'sleep' after a print is complete but not during a pause. I know it affects layer adhesion but it would be nice to have this option because in schools we are not able to simply let the machine go as we head home.

SpragClutch

Re: Pausing Process

Post by SpragClutch » Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:29 pm

I believe the reason why it keeps everything hot during a pause is because if the Bed or the Chamber cooled, the print would lose its adhesion from the Bed. Which you already mentioned above.

I don't think there is a way to cool down the Hot-end or Bed when the printer is paused. I know other printers will let the Hot-end cool down (Prusa I3 MK3), but the Bed remains heated.

Perhaps you should change your school policy? As these printers are design to be ran safely by themselves. Its not unusual for 3d printers to have a print that takes longer then 8 hours. Usually just letting them start and finish without a pause is the most efficient and safe way to 3d Print something. And the Up Box+ does have an automatic pause if the door is opened by someone who is just curious.

So perhaps it is worth it to at least have the discussion with your school. As sometime policy/rules are made with good intentions but with a lack of understanding, and thus become a hindrance instead of a help.

Just my 2 cents. . .