Sandy residue on failed prints

Support for UP BOX and UP BOX+. To report a bug, post with a title [BUG REPORT]. To request a feature, post with a title [FEATURE REQUEST]
annemaree

Sandy residue on failed prints

Post by annemaree » Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:44 am

We have an open ticket with the local Up dealer but I'm interested in any info from the community.

Wee had problems with most/all ABS and PLA prints failing - air printing. I did the following:
- relevelled the build plate
- swapped out the hot end/nozzle
- checked and cleaned the drive gear
- set the nozzle height with the assistance of the Up Box tech
- added a foam cube to the outside of the filament intake to clean off any dust (etc)
- tried both Up ABS filament and Makerbot filament (nozzle height is set for ABS, so we are sticking with that for now)

It is still failing - it will print say 15g of raft and model, and then stop. When it does the filament spool is not turning, but it is not clicking and the drive gear is not clogged. It will extrude and withdraw just fine.

The models all have small sand-like specks of filament on the top surface and also minor singe marks. Does this give any clue as to why they're failing?

amd-tec

Re: Sandy residue on failed prints

Post by amd-tec » Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:06 am

Have you tryied to change the nozzle?

Thanks,

AMD-TEC
"3D design with intelligent printing"
http://www.amd-tec.com

mrt

Post by mrt » Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:03 pm

Try gradually increasing the nozzle height. Do this manually.

It sounds like the nozzle still may be to close to the platform
Michael
3D Printing Solutions
www.3dprintingsolutions.com.au

annemaree

Post by annemaree » Fri Aug 12, 2016 4:12 am

Hi - yes we have cleaned the nozzle and also installed a brand new one.

We've been through an exhaustive process with the nozzle height and the Up Box support tech says it's set correctly.

Interestingly he now suspects that the extruder motor is overheating, so a new one is in the mail. I'm hoping that's it!

annemaree

Post by annemaree » Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:29 am

Update - we received a replacement extruder motor. I adjusted the nozzle height and printed out a perfect test model in ABS, on the perfboard with a raft. The raft peeled away perfectly afterwards which is not something we've had before!

I'm now trying PLA, raftless, on UpFlex. I've moved the nozzle .7mm to accommodate the flex and the material change, and it didn't cope well with printing the outline (circle) of the model. The first layer is also quite stringy so I'm guessing I need to move the nozzle closer. However despite this the model is still happily printing.

So far it looks promising that this was the problem!

tel

Post by tel » Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:31 am

May be a stupid question, but I assume you have closed the door on the extruder case and also changed the temperature for PLA printing (if its 3rd party PLA you will probably need to put a custom temp in as the UP PLA settings are very hot for most 3rd party PLAs

annemaree

Post by annemaree » Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:51 pm

Hi - yes the door is closed and the temperature is set to PLA.

With the nozzle moved .1mm closer, the prints are coming out great. We don't yet have a version of the software which allows us to put in custom temperatures.