Raft Problems - worst printer ever??

Support for UP BOX and UP BOX+. To report a bug, post with a title [BUG REPORT]. To request a feature, post with a title [FEATURE REQUEST]
keukpa

Raft Problems - worst printer ever??

Post by keukpa » Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:57 pm

OK, so I'm not new to 3D printing, I've had over 20 different printers in my time, and when I bought the first UP Plus 3D printer it was the BEST printer I'd ever got, so I bought another one, and I bought an UP Plus 2, I LOVE all three of these printers.... they are amazing!

So you can imagine my surprise when the Box was released.... so I bought one!! Well it is RUBBISH to say the least...none of the benefits of the UP Plus, it seems they just threw away all the good stuff of the UP and started again... but worse...

The main problem I have with this printer is that the raft will just NOT at all come off.... I've tried manual bed calibration, auto level calibration, manual calibration (over and over again) I've tried ALL the print settings, from 0.1mm upwards, I've tried different fill levels, everything and the raft is stuck like glue!

I've tried different versions of the UP software, and I ONLY use UPs own 3D filament. I've got to the point where I hate this printer, and unless I get this sorted I'll cry!

Any ideas???

Keukpa

Tiertime-Jason

Re: Raft Problems - worst printer ever??

Post by Tiertime-Jason » Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:17 am

Hello Keukpa,

I believe your problem may due to several factors.
1. See which ABS filaments you are using, The original ABS or new ABS +. The ABS + is stronger but raft separation is more difficult, so if want the best raft separation, make sure you are using the ABS(no +).

2. As the BOX's nozzle height detection is not very accurate sometimes, if you found the raft is difficult to remove, try to reduce the nozzle height value at 0.1 or 0.2mm steps and make small test prints to make sure the raft is ok before committing to larger print jobs.

3. The platform may not be well leveled. This could cause some part of the raft to be difficult to remove. You could do a auto level and then check the compensation values at the platform calibrate interface, if the compensation values has big range or even display no value (out of compensation range). You may consult support for manually tuning the platform.

4. you may also check the magnets on the printhead mount and make sure the printhead is mounted probably.

You can also contact your distribute for trouble shooting or contact our online technical support: support@pp3dp.com

thanks

keukpa

Post by keukpa » Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:27 pm

HI Jason,

thanks for your reply, please see my responses below:
1. See which ABS filaments you are using, The original ABS or new ABS +. The ABS + is stronger but raft separation is more difficult, so if want the best raft separation, make sure you are using the ABS(no +).
I am using the ABS plastic, I use the EXACT same reel (I take it OFF the box printer and put it on my UP Plus 2 printer) and it works perfectly! The raft removes by hand....
2. As the BOX's nozzle height detection is not very accurate sometimes, if you found the raft is difficult to remove, try to reduce the nozzle height value at 0.1 or 0.2mm steps and make small test prints to make sure the raft is ok before committing to larger print jobs.
I have done this many, many times, with no luck... :(
3. The platform may not be well leveled. This could cause some part of the raft to be difficult to remove. You could do a auto level and then check the compensation values at the platform calibrate interface, if the compensation values has big range or even display no value (out of compensation range). You may consult support for manually tuning the platform.
I have manually levelled the bed more than once, it is very level, but still no luck with Raft removal....
4. you may also check the magnets on the printhead mount and make sure the printhead is mounted probably.
This is the only thing I have not checked, so I will look, but I can't see this making the raft impossible to remove.... I've noticed a lot of people are having this problem, it must be something in the firmware or hardware of the printer surely?

Keukpa

Tiertime-Jason

Post by Tiertime-Jason » Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:28 am

I am wondering after you reduced nozzle height value, what happened to the print. I suppose you saved the setting in the software (thus in hardware).
If you continue to reduce the nozzle height many times, you should eventually find that the print become difficult to attach to platform due to nozzle height to low, however before that you should reach a point with optimal raft separation and platform attachment.

Make sure to use the latest software as well.

gordon37

Post by gordon37 » Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:06 am

which version of up sofware are you using?

titaniumapple

Post by titaniumapple » Sun May 15, 2016 5:47 pm

Raft removal seems to have improved slightly on software v.2.18 but still not great. I reduce nozzle height by 0.14mm. Flat surfaces are the worst, curved surfaces much better but I get lots of noodling/mess on the underside of prints.