Inital Printing Errors

Support for UP BOX and UP BOX+. To report a bug, post with a title [BUG REPORT]. To request a feature, post with a title [FEATURE REQUEST]
Irregular

Inital Printing Errors

Post by Irregular » Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:21 am

Hello everyone. Happy Thanksgiving to those of you in the USA.

I have had my Up Box (Afinia H800) for about a week now. I lover printer. I had the original UP!, and have a few sitting on my desk now. This thing is kicking butt so far.

Except one issue.. which is very annoying.

When the printer starts to print the initial raft layer, it goes through a few lines, and then stops feeding filament. (I am useing the ABS that came with the printer, although it has done this with each ABS, and HIPS i have put in the machine). If i help feed the filament into it, while it prints, it seems to be OK after the first few layers. I have not had it stop in the middle of a print yet.

Has anyone else experienced this? My guess is that the extruder is getting too hot, but adjusting the fan has not helped.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

steelmans

Re: Inital Printing Errors

Post by steelmans » Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:56 am

Try increasing the distance between the bed and nozzle by 0.1 and if not better 0.2

pp3dp.nl

Post by pp3dp.nl » Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:53 am

Yes, the print platform is probably just a bit too close to the nozzle for the first layers and that way you get too much back pressure --> the filament experiences too much force to get out of the nozzle so the weakest link is at the gear and the filament will strip out. That's why higher up in the model you don't get this problem, there's less back pressure.

Irregular

Post by Irregular » Thu Nov 26, 2015 6:20 pm

Hello all!

I did back it off a bit, .2 in fact. Just a warning to anyone using the Afinia sheets on their build bed. The auto level for the nozzle height seems to low.

Now the initial layer is OK. But I am still having the failure about 1/4 inch into the model height. It made it into the first hour of a 5 hour print. I thought everything was good to go, and I walked away. ( I should have taken photos)

I cant wait to get this thing dialed in, I have a few large prints I need to do!

G

DrewPetitclerc

Post by DrewPetitclerc » Fri Nov 27, 2015 7:44 am

If your build plate is even slightly bent or lifting in any areas it will cause an increase in back pressure and "strip-out" (no feeding) during the first layer, if your extruder is prone to strip-outs it can be due to blockage in the nozzle again causing increased back pressure, if your extruder pressure bearing and feed gear are over tolerance (farther apart) it will be more prone to strip-outs.
So there are a large number of factors that could be troubling you, look to my posts and you will find a lot of issues I was able to correct on my machines.

Regards
Drew
Drew Petitclerc
Petitclerc Designs
Owner/Senior Principal Designer, prototype, tooling and test equipment design and 3D printing
http://flash-graphics.deviantart.com/
http://www.thingiverse.com/DrewPetitclerc

titaniumapple

Post by titaniumapple » Sat Nov 28, 2015 1:21 pm

Yeah I get this a lot - I just think it's the ABS reel being a bit stuck and the gears aren't strong enough to pull the filament and turn the reel - meaning it can't extrude the filament and creates air prints.

What I do is try and make sure the reel turns okay before starting then extrude filament about 3 times to make sure it's actually turning the reel.

Once the first print has been successful on a new reel it's usually okay.