[BUG REPORT] Calibration model fails before completing raft

Support for UP BOX and UP BOX+. To report a bug, post with a title [BUG REPORT]. To request a feature, post with a title [FEATURE REQUEST]
ajohnsonlaird

[BUG REPORT] Calibration model fails before completing raft

Post by ajohnsonlaird » Sat Oct 10, 2015 4:03 am

I've been using an UP+2 printer for the past couple of years.

just took delivery of the H800 a few days ago and finally got the time to commission it.

I had checked the platform alignment, set the nozzle height, etc. -- just following the precise steps from the documentation. Everything checked out fine.
The printer serial number is 70002468.
The ROM is version 6.11, firmware 3.38 and, I'm printing with PLA.

I'm running the latest Afinia software, versions 2.1 (5) (I just downloaded it today) on a Mac Book Pro Retina 13", running Mac OS X 10.9.5 with 16GB of RAM. The settings for the Afinia software were all at their default values. I merely opened the calibration model and did an Autoplace and then printed.

Per the documentation I tried to print the calibration model, but it appears that there is a major issue with either the firmware or the Mac-based software.

After printing for about two hours, the printer had gone into a "motion loop" moving through the same pattern over and over again without advancing the printing of the model or lowering the platform -- it had not even completed printing the raft. The attachment shows what I had on the perf board. The nozzle was not blocked -- I did a test extrude immediately after I aborted the print.

Here's a link to the short video that shows the motion loop video: https://www.dropbox.com/s/czc9xjlpewaw1 ... 4.mov?dl=0

The printer did not appear to be extruding any PLA (which is what I happened to be using), nor did it appear to be lowering the platform down -- just endlessly repeating the motion.

Any ideas as to how to proceed? Given that the H800 cannot print its own calibration model, it would appear that the H800 might not yet be ready for prime time (so to speak) -- but any assistance you can offer would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Andy
Attachments
Up Box Fails to print raft after two hours.png
Failure to print raft of Calibration Model
Up Box Fails to print raft after two hours.png (240.47 KiB) Viewed 6124 times
-----
UpBox and UP Plus 2 : Forensic Software Analyst : Portland, Oregon, USA.

pp3dp.nl

Re: [BUG REPORT] Calibration model fails before completing r

Post by pp3dp.nl » Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:40 am

Hello, welcome!

First of all, I have heard often the Mac software isn't really the same or as updated as the Windows version. I recommend using the Win version, maybe through software on the Mac..

Second, I don't know what brabd of PLA you are using but Up printers and especially the Up Box are very good ABS printers, PLA - not so much. Only PLA of TierTime will work well and maybe a few others with lower melting temps. It would take all kinds of mods to be able to print all kinds of PLA's. And: the Up Box can be improved, the Printhead bracket and cover should be updated to the latest version. These files are in version 2.17 of the Windows software and I think they can also be found on the 3D printing Systems (from Australia) website.

So the PLA did probably get jammed, the forum is full of info about this. I suggest to start with the roll of ABS you got with your printer (or did you think this was PLA maybe and ticked the PLA box in stead of ABS?).

Good luck!

steelmans

Post by steelmans » Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:06 am

I was also using the Mac version but I changed to Windows as it wouldn't print without a raft.

I never want to use Windows again so installed Parallels Desktop on my Mac and it works superb. The Windows version of the Up software is much better (if still limited and ugly).

ajohnsonlaird

Post by ajohnsonlaird » Sat Oct 10, 2015 7:45 pm

pp3dp.nl wrote:Hello, welcome!
Thanks -- it's been a while since I posted.
pp3dp.nl wrote: First of all, I have heard often the Mac software isn't really the same or as updated as the Windows version. I recommend using the Win version, maybe through software on the Mac..
Further research revealed other posts that support the idea that the Mac version is somewhat of an "orphaned" product. Which on the one hand seems a shame, and other the other hand, not exactly a fair characterization by TierTime that there is a Mac version of software when it is clearly lacking in features and reliability. As a software person myself I understand the issue of cross platform support (both technical and financial).

It seems unfair to say "For Windows and Mac" without "coming clean" and saying, "but the Mac version is unreliable and lacking in features."
pp3dp.nl wrote: Second, I don't know what brabd of PLA you are using but Up printers and especially the Up Box are very good ABS printers, PLA - not so much. Only PLA of TierTime will work well and maybe a few others with lower melting temps. It would take all kinds of mods to be able to print all kinds of PLA's. And: the Up Box can be improved, the Printhead bracket and cover should be updated to the latest version. These files are in version 2.17 of the Windows software and I think they can also be found on the 3D printing Systems (from Australia) website.

I'm sorry. I should have stated that. I'm using PolyMax 3D -- you can see the details http://www.polymaker.com/shop/polymax/.
Unfortunately, the web page is broken and so if you scroll down to "Specific Printer Settings" the HTML is incorrect -- so you cannot find out the recommendations for Afinia printers.
pp3dp.nl wrote: So the PLA did probably get jammed, the forum is full of info about this. I suggest to start with the roll of ABS you got with your printer (or did you think this was PLA maybe and ticked the PLA box in stead of ABS?).
I deliberately chose to use PLA as that's what I need to print with so I wanted to see how the H800 performed with it, so I chose not to load the ABS that came with the H800 -- but it's a valid question! :)

If the PLA had got jammed, can the H800 detect this? If it cannot, I would have expected it keep going and "air printed" the part, lowering the platform as it went. But that was not the case, the nozzle was still just 0.2mm above the last places that it had printed PLA -- it was as though the motion paths sent from the Mac to the H800 was corrupted and it was sending the printer into an endless loop. So it was repetitively moving in X and Y, but NOT moving the platform in Z.
pp3dp.nl wrote: Good luck!
Thanks! I sense that I'm going to have to bite the bullet and use Parallels so that I can use the Windows version of the software.

Andy
Last edited by ajohnsonlaird on Sat Oct 10, 2015 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-----

ajohnsonlaird

Post by ajohnsonlaird » Sat Oct 10, 2015 7:46 pm

steelmans wrote:I was also using the Mac version but I changed to Windows as it wouldn't print without a raft.

I never want to use Windows again so installed Parallels Desktop on my Mac and it works superb. The Windows version of the Up software is much better (if still limited and ugly).
Thanks for the information. I was wondering whether to use Parallels or VMWare Fusion, but it's good to know that Parallels works.
EDIT: IGNORE THIS QUESTION:What version of Windows are you running, please?

EDIT: I installed Parallels and, after a protracted argument with it, managed to get it to install Windows 10. I got to the point where I can run the Windows version of the Afinia software, it recognizes the H800, Initializes it, etc. So I thought I would quit for the day. I'll try printing the calibration model again tomorrow and see if the Windows software is any better.

Thanks
Andy
-----

ajohnsonlaird

Post by ajohnsonlaird » Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:48 am

Using the same Mac Book Pro 13" Retina and USB cable, I installed Parallels, got a Windows 10 install to run as a Guest operating system, and using the Afinia Windows version, repeated the setup procedure and Auto-Level process.

It printed the calibration model with any problems or app. crashes.

It would seem that the issue is the Afinia Mac version. Just for grins, I shutdown Parallels and just tried to repeat the initialization, setup and calibration process documented in the manual. It keep giving me the Beach Ball of Death at just about every step of the way (it's the only app on the Mac that behaves like this -- I have Microsoft Office, the full Adobe CC Suite, etc. -- all of which are working flawlessly). So I gave up. I know when the Universe is flipping me the bird. :)

The message is: Avoid using the Mac version of the Afinia software unless you're feelin' lucky, punk.... (apologies to Dirty Harry).

Andy.
-----