Creating removable rafts/supports

Support for UP BOX and UP BOX+. To report a bug, post with a title [BUG REPORT]. To request a feature, post with a title [FEATURE REQUEST]
Tiertime-Jason

Re: Creating removable rafts/supports

Post by Tiertime-Jason » Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:43 am

For the support, I think first rule is not to over support.
sometimes you may need to change orientation of the model or change the support parameters.
Setting good support require some experience, and sometimes it is anti-intuitive, eg. increase the dense layers or decrease the liner distance could make support easier to remove as it wont break into small pieces and come off as one big piece.

titaniumapple

Post by titaniumapple » Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:34 am

Tiertime-Jason wrote:For the support, I think first rule is not to over support.
sometimes you may need to change orientation of the model or change the support parameters.
Setting good support require some experience, and sometimes it is anti-intuitive, eg. increase the dense layers or decrease the liner distance could make support easier to remove as it wont break into small pieces and come off as one big piece.
Thanks, I tried using Meshmixer on one of my models, I might try printing that with no added rafts/supports and see what happens.

Are there any other useful support-generating tools besides Meshmixer? Anyone else used one that works well?

It would be very useful to see the supports that are created for the UpBOX before printing in the Up Software, rather than just automatic.

pp3dp.nl

Post by pp3dp.nl » Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:38 pm

For the record: I wasn't talking about the raft sticking to the bed, that works well and I know that you can use a piece of paper to adjust.

I have found that raft and support removal (especially large flat areas) is much easier now I have calibrated the table of the Box manually and I deleted the auto cal values.. If I use auto calibration then the part becomes fused to the raft in some areas, it will damage the bottom of some areas of printed models.

I don't know why this is the case, maybe the software height adjustment is applied to the bottom model layers as well so some areas are printed too close to the raft. I think the adjustement should only be applied to say the first 2 or 3 layers of the raft only. Of course I don't know if this is true, only the Up software engineers do. But I have better results with manual calibration and like this the Up Box works great apart from the 0.1 mm layer set. :D

Other question: Is the new software almost available and can you give some info about the changes maybe?

titaniumapple

Post by titaniumapple » Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:05 pm

Thanks.

Seems like there's a new version of the software, 2.18, any info on what has changed?

steelmans

Post by steelmans » Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:05 pm

titaniumapple wrote:Thanks.

Seems like there's a new version of the software, 2.18, any info on what has changed?
I just spotted that on the UP website. Strange that it hasn't been added here on the forum.

pp3dp.nl

Post by pp3dp.nl » Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:52 pm

No info about software 2.18 yet.. Only difference I can see is another Print again option under tools but it doesn't work for me (yet?).. Thought this would be an overhauled reworked update? Maybe the raft parameters are better, have to check and print some models.

Maarten Visser

Post by Maarten Visser » Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:01 pm

I have the same problem with my Up+2 .Using oem filament. Strangely, the problem only occurs with black abs filament, not white. Testing green now, but I still think it is ridiculous. I bought the up especially for the reason of having easily removable supports. Now I break by objects when I try to remove the support. :(
regards, Maarten

titaniumapple

Post by titaniumapple » Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:48 pm

I've installed Up Software 2.18 and besides a choice between 'Flexboard' and 'Perfboard' there's not much difference visually. I'm not sure if there's anything much different BUT:

I've figured out a huge thing (for me) involving removing supports - if I print a flat surface (which isn't on the print bed), it always involves a scalpel, hours of my life and spilt blood! But if I rotate those flat surfaces in the Up Software so they're at around 20 degrees, even at 0.1mm resolution, the supports come off every time!!! Really easily!!

Hopefully that helps people!

steelmans

Post by steelmans » Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:49 pm

Just get hold of the original Up "C-01" 700g or "C-11" 500g filament. Its much better than the new "C-13" ABS+ for raft and support removal.