Up Box. The gap between the walls is not filled

Support for UP BOX and UP BOX+. To report a bug, post with a title [BUG REPORT]. To request a feature, post with a title [FEATURE REQUEST]
Microtech

Up Box. The gap between the walls is not filled

Post by Microtech » Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:55 pm

Hello
The printer encountered a problem.
When printing walls with a width of about 1 mm with an extruder of 0.4 mm, two walls form, the gap between which is not filled. Fill settings,
quality and layer height settings have no effect on this print defect. In our case, this problem is serious.

How to make the top surface smooth layer?

yeahtuna

Re: Up Box. The gap between the walls is not filled

Post by yeahtuna » Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:15 am

I believe you'll get a solid wall if you set your wall width to 0.8mm (nozzle diameter x 2).

Protolink3d

Post by Protolink3d » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:59 am

Hi Microtech, Can you give some feedback if you managed to sort out the problem ? I also encounter this often.

DrewPetitclerc

Post by DrewPetitclerc » Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:37 am

Sometimes you can get a better fill on a "narrow" wall by rotating the model slightly on the Z axis so that it is not in a direct line with the X or Y build directions, this has been discussed before on the forum, do a search I'm sure you can find it.

brunningm

Post by brunningm » Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:02 am

Pretty sure it's Impossible to fix with Upstudio, as it's quite basic software, and doesn't have any settings you can manipulate on the level required to fix this.

Normally, you'd increase the percentage of infill crossing over the perimeter layers, or change the order from Infill -> Perimeter to Perimeter -> infill (or vice versa).

You could try the option of 'Thin Wall' which is used to increase perimeter thickness when the wall is thinner than the print width. Don't think It will help much though.

Hopefully once the team figures out how to actually implement the gcode update they've done, it won't be an issue, as you should then be able to manipulate via a third party slicer for better quality.

Microtech

Post by Microtech » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:09 am

Unfortunately, the "thin wall" settings do not affect the result. The tilt of the model is sometimes useful, then the quality of the surface is greatly reduced. There are no such problems in homemade printers with open software.

brunningm

Post by brunningm » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:17 am

Microtech wrote:Unfortunately, the "thin wall" settings do not affect the result. The tilt of the model is sometimes useful, then the quality of the surface is greatly reduced. There are no such problems in homemade printers with open software.
Yeah wasn't sure it would actually fix it.

And you are right. By going closed source with the software, Tiertime leave themselve open to complaint about things that were fixed in other software long ago.

effgee

Post by effgee » Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:11 am

is this fixed/is there a workaround ?
Its giving me hell. Trying to print a part with 2.2mm walls, it just produces (in most, but not all sections) 2 separate thin wall shells with a disconnected squiggle in the midplane. Wasting time and material.

effgee

Post by effgee » Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:13 pm

OK, seems the answer is "rotate the model 10º around the z axis".
At least it works. But it shows the software is crappy. Still.

titaniumapple

Post by titaniumapple » Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:31 pm

Yeah Up software has always created 'skinned' walls that aren't 0.8mm or 1.8mm+

It's ridiculous because it's not a hardware issue, it could literally be fixed with software

Jairt21

Post by Jairt21 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:17 am

I’m having the same issues especially with top layers not filling in correctly. I was hoping there would be an update for these issues by now. Especially with the new printers that just came out. Im starting to consider another company as I switched from an ultimaker 2 extended plus for an up box+ and the mini for teaching. Please please please Tiertime or Afinia fix these software issues especially with the new update on Apple products, huge let down! :roll: