Have you also seen this with your UP!?

How print better models
superace

Have you also seen this with your UP!?

Post by superace » Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:03 am

Hi all,
I bought the UP! as a "micro-factory" so I can make engineering parts for small scale production.

I see issues with engineering parts made with my UP! and I have a feeling it is software related. When a part is printed the outside dimensions are really close to the STL file but the inside dimensions always come out too small. For example a cavity that should be 40mm is only 39.6mm. Almost all inner dimensions always come out 0.2-0.4mm to small. My feeling is that the UP! software is made for models where the outside dimensions are important and is not really so developed to take care of inside dimensions.

I also have a problem printing really thin walls. If the wall is made too thin in the STL file it does not get printed at all. However the supports and the walls of the honey comb mesh made automatically by the UP! software is much thinner than the wall in the STL file so I can not understand why the wall can not be printed. For me it looks like the potential of the UP! printer is reduced by the software.

Talking about walls. When I print a model, for example a box, the walls does not get bonded in the correct way. The filling and the outer skin does not join so the wall becomes a bit soft. Depending on wall thickness this happens more or less frequently and mostly on the Y axis. Does anyone have an idea how to reduce this?

All these problems are seen on all brands of plastic including the UP! white ABS so it is not a material problem at all.

Do you see this also in your printers?

M

wackojacko

Re: Have you also seen this with your UP!?

Post by wackojacko » Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:38 am

A way round the gap in walls is to print at a slight angle.

www.3dprintingsystems.com
Bruce
http://www.3DPrintingSystems.com

Need help with your printer, check out our Youtube channel.
https://www.youtube.com/user/3dprinting ... /playlists

-soapy-

Post by -soapy- » Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:13 pm

Yes, to all that.

But, give it a few more software iterations, and those issues will likely be gone. These guys are pretty hot at making things better.

superace

Post by superace » Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:51 pm

Great! Then I know I am not alone and I do have some advantage compared to most of you.... I live 5 minutes from their main sales office in Beijing and their factory is just 30km north of me but I do not want to start an argument based on things I see on just my printer. Is there any known bug-report post in the forum? I have searched but came up with nothing. If not should we start one and try to get our printers improved even more?

I have a list so far but I have only had my machine for about 4 weeks.

I know there are some tricks to make things work but come on, it should work according to design.

I love my UP! but I think it can be even better.

JuliaDee

Post by JuliaDee » Sat Jul 07, 2012 4:21 pm

Superace, it is awesome that you might be able to be "feet on the ground" in Beijing!!! Here's a recent "wish list" forum thread:

http://www.pp3dp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=918

It would be really great if pp3dp would institute a formal "feedback/suggestions" system, or at the very least make a forum subsection for it. I have a few more in mind and if I got the feeling that they were being seen by the developers I'd be a bit more systematic about recording and submitting them. My impression after being on the board here for a month or two is that these are at or near the top of many users' list:
  • • Ability to disable support
    • Nozzle temperature control
    • Model+support preview prior to starting print
julia
superace wrote:Great! Then I know I am not alone and I do have some advantage compared to most of you.... I live 5 minutes from their main sales office in Beijing and their factory is just 30km north of me but I do not want to start an argument based on things I see on just my printer. Is there any known bug-report post in the forum? I have searched but came up with nothing. If not should we start one and try to get our printers improved even more?

I have a list so far but I have only had my machine for about 4 weeks.

I know there are some tricks to make things work but come on, it should work according to design.

I love my UP! but I think it can be even better.

Madox

Post by Madox » Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:17 pm

The numbers you quote seem to be within their advertised accuracy/tolerances, so I'm not sure what the complaint is about.

If you're planning on production and design, you really need to consider tolerances and to allow for such. If you experiment with the 'more empty' infills, you'll most likely find your inside errors to reduce. My advice - experiment to find the limitations of the printer.

CarryTheWhat

Post by CarryTheWhat » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:55 pm

Just wanted to note, these at the top of my wishlist too! But in this order
  • • Ability to disable support
    • Model+support preview prior to starting print
    • Nozzle temperature control
And, I agree with Madox -- I print on an Up! and a makerbot Replicator, both have tolerances to be designed around. Unfortunately these tolerances vary between the types of printers, so this must be taken into account when engineering, parametrically if possible.

Chris

Fairly

Post by Fairly » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:46 pm

I've definitely seen this too, and I've had to work around it by completely throwing off my source solidworks model dimensions.

If they ever do get around to modifying the software to be faithful to internal dimensions I'm in for a week or two of recalibrating my models :<