Up! Mini Preview / Sneak Peek

How print better models
Madox

Up! Mini Preview / Sneak Peek

Post by Madox » Tue May 22, 2012 9:43 am

Up! Mini is out of the bag at CeBIT Australia and on the pp3dp blog.

I had my hands on one over the weekend and wrote up a small write-up, took some pics and videos.

Will be progressively uploading them here :-

http://www.madox.net/blog/2012/05/22/up ... k-preview/

odiegel

Re: Up! Mini Preview / Sneak Peek

Post by odiegel » Tue May 22, 2012 10:11 am

Nice review Madox!
Thaks for posting that. Was waiting to hear about the new model.
Cheers
Olaf

Marcus

Post by Marcus » Tue May 22, 2012 3:23 pm

Thank you! Cute little machine. Amazing price

Madox

Post by Madox » Tue May 22, 2012 5:42 pm

Video here :-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szUmC37N9aY

Too lazy embedding it or touching it up...Diablo 3...

wilsonj

Post by wilsonj » Wed May 23, 2012 1:45 am

Hi Madox, thanks for posting! Just watched all the way through. Regarding the warping. Did you try printing that part with the door closed the whole time by any chance ?

All in all the machine looks to work very much the same as the current model. Just at ~$800 less.

Really what I was hoping to see was a new model that was an upgrade to what we currently have, positioned at the same price. Then a price drop to $995 for the current model. No ones ever happy! :mrgreen:
Regards
Jamie
3DPrinterGear.com.au

Madox

Post by Madox » Sun May 27, 2012 1:43 am

wilsonj wrote:Hi Madox, thanks for posting! Just watched all the way through. Regarding the warping. Did you try printing that part with the door closed the whole time by any chance ?

All in all the machine looks to work very much the same as the current model. Just at ~$800 less.

Really what I was hoping to see was a new model that was an upgrade to what we currently have, positioned at the same price. Then a price drop to $995 for the current model. No ones ever happy! :mrgreen:
I suspect the warping is due to platform being too cold. I did have the door closed all the time and it didn't seem to have affected it.

I just noticed at my local hackerspace that they put a temperature probe in the Up! Plus enclosure they have... apparently the printer will work great if it is (Sydney) summer temperatures :)

wilsonj

Post by wilsonj » Sun May 27, 2012 2:36 am

HI Madox,

Do you have a link to the people using a box with the PLUS ?

I tried it a while back. (with a large cardboard box) Internal temps got up to 42C but the filament started to slip. I suspect it became too hot/soft at the drive cog.

From the information I have found, it seems stratasys heat their chamber to 70C before printing. Although I assume that is with filament that has a similar melting point to the OEM UP product. With other ABS that has a lower melting point perhaps much improved results could be obtained by just getting the ambient temps up to 40-50C.
Regards
Jamie
3DPrinterGear.com.au

Madox

Post by Madox » Thu May 31, 2012 3:22 pm

wilsonj wrote:HI Madox,

Do you have a link to the people using a box with the PLUS ?

I tried it a while back. (with a large cardboard box) Internal temps got up to 42C but the filament started to slip. I suspect it became too hot/soft at the drive cog.

From the information I have found, it seems stratasys heat their chamber to 70C before printing. Although I assume that is with filament that has a similar melting point to the OEM UP product. With other ABS that has a lower melting point perhaps much improved results could be obtained by just getting the ambient temps up to 40-50C.
If you find it too hot, you shouldn't enclose it fully.

A design I toyed with is pictured below. This was basically to block drafts and sudden changes in temperature that could affect the build without fully enclosing it off [letting the extruder+motor breath]. I'm not using this at the moment by the way, but might have to as winter approaches...