All of materials and 3D Printers

How print better models
Locked
User avatar
josejuako
Posts: 479
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:55 am

All of materials and 3D Printers

Post by josejuako » Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:21 pm


User avatar
wilsonj
Posts: 569
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:26 pm
Location: Australia

Re: All of materials and 3D Printers

Post by wilsonj » Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:35 am

Great resource. Thanks for posting Jose !
Regards
Jamie
3DPrinterGear.com.au

User avatar
DrewPetitclerc
Posts: 581
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:39 am
Location: Silicon Valley California
Contact:

Re: All of materials and 3D Printers

Post by DrewPetitclerc » Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:34 am

Great job finding this Jose, I can really use this!
:D
Drew Petitclerc
Petitclerc Designs
Owner/Senior Principal Designer, prototype, tooling and test equipment design and 3D printing
http://flash-graphics.deviantart.com/
http://www.thingiverse.com/DrewPetitclerc

Eurisko84
Posts: 38
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:56 am

Re: All of materials and 3D Printers

Post by Eurisko84 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:32 am

Absolutely! Great find Jose!

Ill be in contact with the China sources, and see if we can get bulk supply of filament. From what I can see, its the same supplier of the filament I get from BilbyCNC here in Australia.

If so, looks like we can get the stuff for 1/3 the cost of it locally supplied!

Good one, and ill let you guys know how it goes.

:D

User avatar
wilsonj
Posts: 569
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:26 pm
Location: Australia

Re: All of materials and 3D Printers

Post by wilsonj » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:10 pm

Shameless gratuitous plug here, but my store is now listed on 3ders.org.
Regards
Jamie
3DPrinterGear.com.au

User avatar
JuliaDee
Posts: 959
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 10:00 pm
Location: Connecticut
Contact:

Re: All of materials and 3D Printers

Post by JuliaDee » Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:07 pm

One very interesting material not listed is protoparadigm's clear polycarbonate:

http://www.protoparadigm.com/products-page/other-1-75mm

I've just ordered a roll.

Anyone know of a U.S. source for clear ABS? I don't see any on the 3Ders list.I found some in China via Alibaba.

User avatar
DrewPetitclerc
Posts: 581
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:39 am
Location: Silicon Valley California
Contact:

Re: All of materials and 3D Printers

Post by DrewPetitclerc » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:54 pm

JuliaDee wrote:One very interesting material not listed is protoparadigm's clear polycarbonate:

http://www.protoparadigm.com/products-page/other-1-75mm

I've just ordered a roll.

Anyone know of a U.S. source for clear ABS? I don't see any on the 3Ders list.I found some in China via Alibaba.
Hi Julia,

You should read my post about the Polycarb and be careful.

http://pp3dp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f= ... 47e0#p6410

Regards
Drew
Drew Petitclerc
Petitclerc Designs
Owner/Senior Principal Designer, prototype, tooling and test equipment design and 3D printing
http://flash-graphics.deviantart.com/
http://www.thingiverse.com/DrewPetitclerc

User avatar
JuliaDee
Posts: 959
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 10:00 pm
Location: Connecticut
Contact:

Re: All of materials and 3D Printers

Post by JuliaDee » Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:03 am

Thanks, Drew, I guess I'll find out when it gets here :)

Although it would be nice to have higher strength available, it's really the transparency that I need, for light pipe applications. Guess I should order that Chinese CABS, too...

julia

User avatar
DrewPetitclerc
Posts: 581
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:39 am
Location: Silicon Valley California
Contact:

Re: All of materials and 3D Printers

Post by DrewPetitclerc » Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:42 am

JuliaDee wrote:Thanks, Drew, I guess I'll find out when it gets here :)

it's really the transparency that I need, for light pipe application.

julia
I would recommend the Makerbot clear PLA and use the ABS higher temp and you will get really nice crystalline part that transmits light really nicely, it can be tougher to remove support if you are not using the fan mount modification but is the closest to clear I've found. I've never seen a clear ABS on the market yet and some (clear) PLA's are milky when extruded, mostly at the lower PLA temp's.
Very nice print, you should try it again with the extruder mount when it arrives and the fan mount, I'm sure you will be amazed.
Regards
Drew
Drew Petitclerc
Petitclerc Designs
Owner/Senior Principal Designer, prototype, tooling and test equipment design and 3D printing
http://flash-graphics.deviantart.com/
http://www.thingiverse.com/DrewPetitclerc

User avatar
josejuako
Posts: 479
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:55 am

Re: All of materials and 3D Printers

Post by josejuako » Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:24 pm

It's a best indication about the Pla material I like to use it , thanks Drew .

J

User avatar
JuliaDee
Posts: 959
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 10:00 pm
Location: Connecticut
Contact:

Re: All of materials and 3D Printers

Post by JuliaDee » Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:28 pm

DrewPetitclerc wrote:
JuliaDee wrote:Thanks, Drew, I guess I'll find out when it gets here :)

it's really the transparency that I need, for light pipe application.

julia
I would recommend the Makerbot clear PLA and use the ABS higher temp and you will get really nice crystalline part that transmits light really nicely, it can be tougher to remove support if you are not using the fan mount modification but is the closest to clear I've found. I've never seen a clear ABS on the market yet and some (clear) PLA's are milky when extruded, mostly at the lower PLA temp's.
Very nice print, you should try it again with the extruder mount when it arrives and the fan mount, I'm sure you will be amazed.
Regards
Drew
Thanks, Drew, I ordered some MB PLA last night. I did find CABS here:

http://www.aliexpress.com/fm-store/9080 ... epRap.html

but didn't order it since I've got both PC and PLA on the way.

It's good to know that I might be able to control milkiness via temperature since that's a decision (milky vs transparent) that's before the development team right now; if I can make prototypes of each I'll be a heroine :) Of course, there's always sandpaper...

The extruder bracket arrived today but now I'm faced with the difficult decision of when to schedule a few hours of printer downtime while hubby installs it!

Locked