Infill/Perimeter

How print better models
ata0921

Infill/Perimeter

Post by ata0921 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:32 pm

I noticed that on most of my prints, the infill for the first couple of layers after the raft do not reach the perimeter walls. Is there a preference I need to adjust to compensate? The top of the prints are filled to the perimeter walls. So what's the deal?
- Andy

Madox

Re: Infill/Perimeter

Post by Madox » Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:34 pm

I noticed this for the solid fills, oddly the 'loose' fills go to the edge/perimeter more for me...

ata0921

Post by ata0921 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:59 pm

That is odd. You would expect the solid option to be the better of the two. I am printing most things on the loose option and have yet to get the base infill to reach the perimeter walls. I am printing at normal speed, so I can't make it go any slower. The only thing I can think of to help is maybe lower the resolution? Figure that since each layer is not so think, it would cover the minute gaps better?

If that makes sense.
- Andy

ata0921

Post by ata0921 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:28 am

After some testing, I did find that the lower the resolution, the smaller the gaps between the infill and perimeter. However, the gaps are still there. Although the pieces are still structurally sound, it's not really aesthetically pleasing. I noticed by observing my prints that the UP! does the infill before the perimeter (almost) every time. I can understand the gaps forming if I were to be printing on the Fast speed, but I still have the gaps on the Fine speed.

I assume this is a software related aspect and would like to know if somewhere down the road there can be an option to change the pattern in which the UP! prints. Or maybe an adjustable parameter for the overlap between infill/perimeter.
- Andy

ata0921

Post by ata0921 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:28 am

After some testing, I did find that the lower the resolution, the smaller the gaps between the infill and perimeter. However, the gaps are still there. Although the pieces are still structurally sound, it's not really aesthetically pleasing. I noticed by observing my prints that the UP! does the infill before the perimeter (almost) every time. I can understand the gaps forming if I were to be printing on the Fast speed, but I still have the gaps on the Fine speed.

I assume this is a software related aspect and would like to know if somewhere down the road there can be an option to change the pattern in which the UP! prints. Or maybe an adjustable parameter for the overlap between infill/perimeter.
- Andy

-soapy-

Post by -soapy- » Sat Dec 04, 2010 7:59 pm

ata0921 wrote: I noticed by observing my prints that the UP! does the infill before the perimeter (almost) every time.
I get the opposite. The outside edge prints first, I'm 99% sure.

ata0921

Post by ata0921 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:14 am

Just observed a few of my prints in progress. I am printing Rusty Huxley from thingiverse on my own self-created sheets (http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4986). The infill is laid down before the perimeter at least 95% of the time.

Seeing that you are reporting the opposite, this leads me to believe that it is a software related issue. Is there a way for me to change this?

Also, what is the order of printing for other people's printer? Is the infill being laid down first or second?
- Andy

TeamTeamUSA

Post by TeamTeamUSA » Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:47 am

ata0921 wrote: Seeing that you are reporting the opposite, this leads me to believe that it is a software related issue. Is there a way for me to change this?

Also, what is the order of printing for other people's printer? Is the infill being laid down first or second?
With version 1.0.8 and a <100 SN printer, the outline is deposited first, then the infill when using these settings:

* Print def: 0.20
* Fill: Loose
* Quality: Normal

Go!

=ml=
¡Fabricado no TeamTeamUSA!
movin' \ shakin' \ troublemakin'

-soapy-

Post by -soapy- » Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:32 pm

Ok, I looked. I was wrong - the infill is printed first, then the outline, on the raft at least. I think it swaps to the outer first once the raft is printed, but I'm not sure.

I also noticed, and finally managed to catch on film, a slight bug, possibly in the software.

When printing the raft, the first little bit of raft is never printed!
start of raft.jpg
start of raft.jpg (53.5 KiB) Viewed 19085 times
The lefthand (nearer) raft is missing the start of the line, the second one is as it should be.

Below is the second layer being printed, and you can see where it has failed to print the first bit of the raft layer, then gone over it on the second pass.
second layer raft.jpg
second layer raft.jpg (34.16 KiB) Viewed 19085 times
This happens every single time, which is a bit odd, since the "pre-heat feed" works fine, and the UP! doesn't fail to feed for the intermittent parts of a print - it is only this first few moments of any print.

Does anyone else get this?

odiegel

Post by odiegel » Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:01 am

I too notice a very slight delay before the noozle starts to extrude material after it has started printing. But I havent found it makes any difference as, once you get to the second or third layer of the raft, the missing plastic no longer affects the build.
Cheers
Olaf

art103

Post by art103 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:57 pm

Was there ever an answer to the infill not reaching the edges?
I am trying to print a 2mm thick wall using .25mm, but both the inner and outer wall of the box have detached from the infill.
A 1mm thick wall fuses ok, so is it possible to tell the UP! to print 4x 0.5mm lines rather than 2x 0.5mm + 1mm of infill?

The model is an 80mm x 80mm x 20mm case / box.

Many thanks,
art103.

Madox

Post by Madox » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:02 pm

art103 wrote:Was there ever an answer to the infill not reaching the edges?
I am trying to print a 2mm thick wall using .25mm, but both the inner and outer wall of the box have detached from the infill.
A 1mm thick wall fuses ok, so is it possible to tell the UP! to print 4x 0.5mm lines rather than 2x 0.5mm + 1mm of infill?

The model is an 80mm x 80mm x 20mm case / box.

Many thanks,
art103.
Keep in mind the nozzle diameter is approximately 0.35mm - so 0.5mm line while technically possible with a bit of 'squishing', it is a bit hard to achieve.

To avoid 'detaching' as you call it, I have had to find 'nice' wall thicknesses to work with. These change depending on fine/normal/fast as well as layer thickness.
You just have to experiment I suppose?

Marcus

Post by Marcus » Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:49 am

Tell me about it. It drove me nuts at first... ;-)

art103

Post by art103 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:53 pm

Thanks for the responses.
To save other new comers the same pain, I have created some test prints.
I found that the speed (Fine / Normal / Fast) didn't make a difference to the lines drawn, but it may affect the marginal results where it sometimes sticks and other doesn't.

0.4mm test print:
Solid_Wall_Test_0_40mm_small.JPG
0.40mm layer test print for wall thickness
Solid_Wall_Test_0_40mm_small.JPG (51.06 KiB) Viewed 18343 times
0.25mm test print:
Solid_Wall_Test_0_25mm_small.JPG
Test print of wall solidity (0.25mm layers)
Solid_Wall_Test_0_25mm_small.JPG (243.46 KiB) Viewed 18343 times
The actual wall thicknesses were not accurate, but that's expected :)

Marcus

Post by Marcus » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:20 am

Wow. Thanks for sharing it!
This belongs into the manual...

I still have trouble with tiny, tiny fonts, at least <3mm height, any experience in that? :-)

wackojacko

Post by wackojacko » Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:16 pm

If I need the tops closed, I print at a slight angle.

Text is best indented on its side.

The support doesn't use much material at all.
Bruce
http://www.3DPrintingSystems.com

Need help with your printer, check out our Youtube channel.
https://www.youtube.com/user/3dprinting ... /playlists

Marcus

Post by Marcus » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:42 pm

Yes, I am printing text at the side for highest resolution,... I guess I just want too much :-)

odiegel

Post by odiegel » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:14 am

Thanks art103!!!
Will add this info to next iteration of user manual, if you don't mind. :-)
Cheers
Olaf

Marcus

Post by Marcus » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:28 am

Thanks for updating the manual so often!

art103

Post by art103 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:13 pm

Olaf,
Sure, no problem.

I've only had my UP! for a few days, so no experience with text yet.
The tip about closing the tops (bottoms too?) is great - that was going to be one of my next questions :)

Maybe a tips + tricks sticky for the forum?
Including the reference to Olaf's manual - I didn't know it existed until I saw the link to http://3dprintingsystems.com/ in the "windshield update" topic today.
I was using the one e-mailed to me by pp3dp after ordering the printer.

Cheers,
art103.