UP! Software upgrade to V1.08

How print better models
TTT험ทดสอบ
UP! Software upgrade to V1.08

Post by TTT험ทดสอบ » Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:49 am

Version 1.08 update:

1. Repare the bug that the print parameter can't be save immediately.
2. Add material count. Automatically decrease the material weight after printing. A warning dialog box will popup, if the ABS isn't enought.
3. Add verticality calibrate function to ensure the verticality between axes.

Use "New Spool" button in maintain dialog box to input new spool weight(default is 700 gram), and the up software automatically decrease the material weight.

Use "3D Print->Calibrate" to calibrate the verticality. The calibrate model ( Calibrate96.UP3 in example folder of up) should be printed firstly, then measure the 4 size of the print, input the Calibrate dialog box. Next print will be more vertical.

Darkhouse

josejuako

Re: UP! Software upgrade to V1.08

Post by josejuako » Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:57 am

Mr. Edward and pp3dp , I like to teach us how we do the UP! calibration , is good to have this commands in the menu . My Head extruder is out of the printing platform , in the right hand an in the bottom , in X2 have a difference .5 mm. and in the Z is 2 mm. in 80 mm. H , right hand you look to the UP in front.
Please do a graphic sequence to learn to do , not all have a good english like me.

J :?: :idea:

Chris.e

Post by Chris.e » Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:53 am

That sounds great!
Any idea what only the reel/spool weights without plastic? So I can weight mine as I´ve already printed a few things.

mer

Post by mer » Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:19 pm

I tried to print the calibration file but no luck, it says Model out of print range... It clearly is not, see link.
http://img717.imageshack.us/img717/60/s ... 1at910.png
How can this be fixed. Any explanation on how to do this would be very welcome.

Thanks

TTT험ทดสอบ

Post by TTT험ทดสอบ » Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:36 pm

mer wrote:I tried to print the calibration file but no luck, it says Model out of print range... It clearly is not, see link.
http://img717.imageshack.us/img717/60/s ... 1at910.png
How can this be fixed. Any explanation on how to do this would be very welcome.
Sorry for the problem, it caused by the new version. The software auto save some printer/print paramters, and V1.08 is different with V1.07/1.06, so many params are reset to default value, include the nozzle height which is the print range of Z axis.

You should input the nozzle height in seting dialog again. :oops:

Darkhouse

TeamTeamUSA

Post by TeamTeamUSA » Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:32 am

darkhouse wrote:...Use "3D Print->Calibrate" to calibrate the verticality. The calibrate model ( Calibrate96.UP3 in example folder of up) should be printed firstly, then measure the 4 size of the print, input the Calibrate dialog box. Next print will be more vertical.
Where is the Calibrate96.UP3 model? I don't see it in the http://www.pp3dp.com/images/download/up%20parts.zip file.

Go!

=ml=
¡Fabricado no TeamTeamUSA!
movin' \ shakin' \ troublemakin'

Chris.e

Post by Chris.e » Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:40 am

TeamTeamUSA wrote:
Where is the Calibrate96.UP3 model? I don't see it in the http://www.pp3dp.com/images/download/up%20parts.zip file.

Go!

=ml=
TeamTeamUSA, You'll find the model in your c:\program files\up\example\ folder if you have installed 1.08.

TeamTeamUSA

Post by TeamTeamUSA » Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:07 am

Chris.e wrote:
TeamTeamUSA, You'll find the model in your c:\program files\up\example\ folder if you have installed 1.08.[/quote]

Thanks Chris.e, I found it! :)

Go!

=ml=

TeamTeamUSA

Post by TeamTeamUSA » Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:19 am

What does this dialog mean?

"Print Material not enough, add material?"

What happens if I click "Yes"?
What happens if I click "No"?

I clicked "No", BTW.

Go!

=ml=

TeamTeamUSA

Post by TeamTeamUSA » Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:30 am

Some axes calibration questions:

* Once I've printed the calibration model, then what?
* What settings do I use to print them? 1.0.8 Default? Or does it matter?
* Do I take the parts off the platform and measure them, or do I leave them on and measure (the latter I think)?
* I don't see axes calibration instructions in the 1.0.8 UP "Quick Start Guide.pdf" file. Are they somewhere online?

Go!

=ml=

Chris.e

Post by Chris.e » Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:38 am

TeamTeamUSA wrote:What does this dialog mean?

I clicked "No", BTW.

Go!

=ml=
I believe that if you click yes it stops and allows for change of spool, if you click no I subtracts the approx. weight. I´ve clicked no and my material counter is at -104g.
Regarding the calibration file, I have the same questions.

TTT험ทดสอบ

Post by TTT험ทดสอบ » Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:52 am

TeamTeamUSA wrote: * Once I've printed the calibration model, then what?
* What settings do I use to print them? 1.0.8 Default? Or does it matter?
* Do I take the parts off the platform and measure them, or do I leave them on and measure (the latter I think)?
* I don't see axes calibration instructions in the 1.0.8 UP "Quick Start Guide.pdf" file. Are they somewhere online
=ml=
1. After print the cailibration model, then measure the size of X1, X2( left the model on platform), Z(remove the front L part from platform),and leave H with 40 if you didn't scale the model.
2. you can use any settings to print them.
3. Measure X1,X2 on platform and Z off platform(Z is +/-, see the pic on dialog box, right is -value, left is +value )
4. Sorry, the newest maunal isn't online. We will make a download link next week.
=ml=
"Yes", stop print, and you need replace the spool or update the weight of materials in maintain dialog box.
"No", continue print.

Darkhouse

Chris.e

Post by Chris.e » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:45 pm

How do I know that the values I put in sticks? When I have entered my values and close the dialog and then open it again the default values are there again. Should it be like that?

Lets say I print the calibration model and measure and enters the real values and then print the calibration model again, should I see any difference between the model before and after my calibration?

ssozonoff

Post by ssozonoff » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:12 am

=ml=
Hello,

The new software 1.0.8 keeps track of the material used in order to alert you if it thinks there is not enough ABS on the spool to complete your print.
My understanding is that it basically calculates this based on the current weight of material on the spool and how much it thinks its laying down through the nozzle.

So it needs to know the weight of material on the spool which you must set as per instruction below.

Use "New Spool" button in maintain dialog box to input new spool weight(default is 700 gram), and the up software automatically decrease the material weight.

If you have not set it since you installed the new software version you will see this alert message. If you click yes then printing will not take place and you can replace the spool so that you have enough material to print OR go set the spool weight if you have never set this parameter before.

Selecting NO will cause the print to start and you will either run out of material before print completion or you simply had the wrong weight set for the spool and it will print fine.

Two questions I have.

1. Could someone who has an empty spool please give use the weight of that empty spool so we can enter correct values for spools which are not brand new.

2. I assume this calculation takes into account the nozzle diameter? How does the machine know which nozzle is currently installed, is that definable somewhere?

Thanks,
Serge

TeamTeamUSA

Post by TeamTeamUSA » Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:42 pm

ssozonoff wrote: 1. Could someone who has an empty spool please give use the weight of that empty spool so we can enter correct values for spools which are not brand new.

Thanks,
Serge
Using this postal scale, I measured a full and empty spool of ABS:
  • Full Spool = 2 2/32 (2.09375) # = 949.709025 g
  • Empty Spool = 5/8 (0.625) # = 283.495231 g
  • ABS (Full - Empty) = 1.46875 # = 666.213793 g
So it looks like the ABS on a full spool can vary between 666 and 700 grams (the usual/default?). Or do we use the weight of the ABS and spool together?
How far should we err on the conservative side? Erring too much may yield more leftover ABS; erring too little may result in a failed build.

For my 666 gram spool, should I use 666, 650, 700?

Go!

=ml=

TeamTeamUSA

Post by TeamTeamUSA » Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:03 am

I think I found a bug in 1.0.8:

Steps to Reproduce
1. Input a value in Maintain > New Spool, e.g., 666
2. Load and print a model. My model material estimate was ~16 g.
3. Stop print before first layer of raft is complete via Maintain > Stop All
4. Initialize printer via Initial
5. Print model again
6. Notice that Maintain > Matrials: is 650 not 666 or 660

Expected Result
* Approximate amount of used material is added back to total amount of material if print is canceled, e.g., one gram is used: 650 + (16 - 1) = 665 in Maintain > Matrials

Actual Result
* Amount of used material is NOT added back to total amount of material if print is canceled, e.g., one gram is used: 666 - (16 - 1) = 650 in Maintain > Matrials

Can anyone else repro this?

Kludgineer Workaround
1. Record used material estimate amount when starting print
2. After canceling print, add estimate back to total via Maintain > New Spool

Go!

=ml=

TeamTeamUSA

Post by TeamTeamUSA » Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:03 pm

darkhouse wrote:The calibrate model ( Calibrate96.UP3 in example folder of up) should be printed firstly, then measure the 4 size of the print, input the Calibrate dialog box.
Please upload an STL version of Calibrate96.UP3. I need to re-calibrate my extruder, and after reading the usage instructions it is apparent that the left and right uprights are not needed. I want to remove them before I re-calibrate.

Alternately, please upload a new version of Calibrate96.UP3 with the left and right uprights removed or much shorter.
TIA.

Go!

=ml=

Chris.e

Post by Chris.e » Sun Oct 24, 2010 3:07 pm

Can anyone who has made the calibration and entered different values than the default, confirm that if they open the calibration again, do they see their own value or the default values? I see the default values every time I open it even if I have entered different.

odiegel

Post by odiegel » Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:40 pm

Hi Chris,
Works fine for me...
I wonder if, perhaps, you might be enteirng the calibration height in the worng screen?
Once you have figured out the correct height, you need to enter it in the Setup screen, not the Maintain screen. The maintain screen just allws you to manually go to the hight you want to test how high it needs to be. The Setup screen is the one that records the value for future use. On my system the Setup screen certainly remembers it.
Cheers
Olaf

TeamTeamUSA

Post by TeamTeamUSA » Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:59 pm

Chris.e wrote:Can anyone who has made the calibration and entered different values than the default, confirm that if they open the calibration again, do they see their own value or the default values? I see the default values every time I open it even if I have entered different.
I see the same thing. I take screen caps of all the config screens when I change config values, because they don't always persist. These config values have never persisted when closing/opening the dialog:

3D Print > Calibrate (X1, X2, Z, and H are always the default values of 124, 124, 0, 40, respectively)
3D Print > Maintain > New Spool (it's always the default value of 700, even if though the Matrials value is correct)

BTW, I also take screen caps of the Preferences, Print dialog, and ETA dialog for each print. It helps to know the amount of material used in case I have to abort a print, and when to check in on the printer at print's completion.

Go!

=ml=