Poor customer service from Bilby CNC

UP User Group in Australia and New Zealand
Astro

Poor customer service from Bilby CNC

Post by Astro » Thu May 09, 2013 9:01 am

I would like to share my customer service experience that I had with Bilby CNC over the last 9 months or so.

Over all I think the company has much room for improvement in terms of customer service. I have bought both a 3d printer and a 3020 CNC with them, yet I find it almost impossible to get in contact with them or have calls returned. Worse still the CNC I bought of them is a half of the rated resolution I paid for. Additionally I discovered that my machine was incorrectly wired, this was after being told that each machine is checked which is the reason for the added price. I find that online filament purchases are not actioned until I speak to them over the telephone. The only reason I have been dealing with Bilby is that my warranty is with them.

I have been making purchases with 3D printer gear of recent, I find them fast, reliable and honest and I recommend them to anyone in Australia.

This is my opinion,

Trent

roller

Re: Poor customer service from Bilby CNC

Post by roller » Sat May 11, 2013 7:57 am

I've found exactly the same - had Bilby sell me non genuine Up! filament as genuine, then after a big fight and they promised a refund they took over 3 months after getting the good back to give me my money back. They have also sent me dodgy CNC parts in the past - I'm never, ever dealing with them again and since I'm up to 25 repraps and 5 CNCs built for other I make sure they know not to deal with them.

I too have had great support from http://www.3dprintergear.com.au/ and for CNC bits http://ausxmods.com.au/ has been extremely helpful too. Kudos to both those guys.

wilsonj

Post by wilsonj » Sat May 11, 2013 2:49 pm

Thank you Astro and roller for the kind words, your positive remarks and support mean a great deal.

Cheers
Jamie
Regards
Jamie
3DPrinterGear.com.au

marto

Post by marto » Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:23 pm

For me they have generally been fine. $60/roll for white genuine UP filament is best price I have found in Aus. I can't say I have ever tried to get in touch with them by phone and I did have to return my black non-genuine filament but they sent me another roll of white and a repaid bag to send the black back in.

I did try their high temp ABS for UP which was pretty average. Had heaps of warping issues and got really stuck in the perf board and they weren't too interested in my feedback.

Steve

roller

Post by roller » Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:07 pm

They made me sort all the return postage out for my fake "genuine" black after weeks of denying it was fake then took a number of months to refund my postage. At no point did they ever apologise for claiming their genuine wasn't nor for all the trouble. The have also sent me dodgy reprap parts and didn't want to know anything about them - the part was cheap so I left it is they weren't worth chasing. They seem fine when it's just shop and ship but as soon as their is customer service required they were argumentative, disorganised and kept breaking promises they made on the phone.

I think I will give up on genuine - found my Ultimachine ABS that's been sitting in the bottom of my dry bin for 2 years and it's printing beautifully - even support removal is great and the parts are much stronger. Who can ask for more.... just a shame it's all orange!

RihhanaNZ

Post by RihhanaNZ » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:32 am

I'd rather suggest to buy such products from dealing sites. Recently, I bought a 3D printer and peripherals from wiseguys, a NZ based site. Never had issue with stuff at all.
I work closely with the printer to get the final print the way I want it.

sammybravo

Post by sammybravo » Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:38 pm

roller wrote:I've found exactly the same - had Bilby sell me non genuine Up! filament as genuine, then after a big fight and they promised a refund they took over 3 months after getting the good back to give me my money back. They have also sent me dodgy CNC parts in the past - I'm never, ever dealing with them again and since I'm up to 25 repraps and 5 CNCs built for other I make sure they know not to deal with them.

I too have had great support from http://www.3dprintergear.com.au/ and for CNC bits http://ausxmods.com.au/ has been extremely helpful too. Kudos to both those guys.
Lucky I came across this post, was going to buy a 6040 off them, recommending I don't? I've been wanting to get a simple 3d router for machining aluminium plates, wood and thought I could trust getting it from an Australian supplier instead of risking it on ebay and shipping, any advice??

Cheers,

Sam

Lawrence

Post by Lawrence » Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:42 am

Hi Sam
I can going offer my experiences with Bilby CNC.
I have bought two 3D printers from Lee at Bilby CNC.
I bought an Up!Plus a little over a year ago. The delivery was prompt, and when I later had a problem with the extruder heater cable, Lee was prompt to rectify the problem.
Recently I took deliver of a Mbot Cube 2 from the first batch forwarded from the Chinese manufacturer. The printer is an extremely impressive professional looking machine, and prints well, but I discovered a firmware problem when printing at the full 23cm depth. I contacted Lee who said she has discovered the same issue and that Bilby is already working with the manufacturer and other parties to rectify the problem.
Also, I received black filament that was returned by roller (yes, I agree that it is not genuine Up! filament, and as such I will not use it in my Up!Plus, but it prints very well in my Flashforge Creator and Mbot Cube 2.
At all times I have received prompt and courteous attention from Bilby CNC, and am extremely happy with their level of service.
If and when I am considering a CNC router I would not hesitate to buy from Bilby CNC.
I hope this assists you in your buying decision.
As always, this is just my own opinion.
Regards
Lawrence

roller

Post by roller » Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:15 am

I was very polite to them and they treated me quite rudely and dismissively (Truly belittling and patronising). That filament was overpriced since it was not genuine and quite useless on an Up without a temp mod. There "immediate" refund, which was offered after the weeks it took to convince them it wasn't genuine, took a further two months to "immediately" be processed. They drop ship a lot of their stuff and pretty much all of it is the cheap Chinese bits and pieces off - the exact same ones all over ebay.

If the 6040 CNC design takes you fancy then Bilby is a better place to buy it than ebay due to your protection under the trade practices act but it will be no better quality and you will be paying a significant premium. If you are handy you are probably just better of getting two identical models off ebay that you can use for your own spares.

cj7hawk

Post by cj7hawk » Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:19 pm

My last order to Bilby CNC was for a roll of black filament. On receiving it, it broke every few minutes of printing - the ends just came apart, like it was full of bubbles or something. As a result, it would just break during the feed process, usually on the roll. I got a number of breaks during the first 100g or so.

I contacted them about it and mentioned what happened and told them I thought I must have gotten a bad roll, and they sent a new roll immediately.

I can't speak for others, but so far, I am not unhappy with their customer service. In fact, I thought it was pretty good. I'm sorry to hear others have had a bad experience, but from my experience, I would be happy to buy from them again. Sure, they sold me a bad roll, but I don't think they make it themselves and there was no outward indication of the problem. They were very polite and helpful to me -

If it helps, the person who helped with my problem was Caitlin Lowe -

So for me, a good experience. They certainly seem willing to help - I can only suggest contacting them with problems and giving them a chance to fix it.

Regards
David

wilsonj

Post by wilsonj » Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:33 pm

David, was the roll wrapped in clear plastic ?
Regards
Jamie
3DPrinterGear.com.au

Lawrence

Post by Lawrence » Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:30 pm

Hi
I agree. I have always received good service from both Caitlin and Lee at Bilby.
While here, I must add that recently I also received prompt service from Jamie (wilsonj) when the platform heater died. I phoned Jami on Monday 4th November to enquire if he had the part in stock, ordered it and received it Wednesday 6th November. Pretty good when you consider thay Tuesday 5th was a public holiday in Melbourne, so no postal deliveries that day.
A big thumbs up for Caitlin and Lee at Bilby, and Jamie at PrinterGear.
Thumbs up.jpg
Thumbs up.jpg (3.69 KiB) Viewed 21784 times
As always, this is just my own opinion.
Regards
Lawrence

cj7hawk

Post by cj7hawk » Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:47 am

wilsonj wrote:David, was the roll wrapped in clear plastic ?
It was in a sealed heavy-duty clear plastic bag.

Regards
David

wilsonj

Post by wilsonj » Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:28 am

Hi David, but did the roll have plastic wrapped around it also ?

The reason I ask is that for a short time the supplier was using a plastic wrap that caused the filament to go brittle.
Regards
Jamie
3DPrinterGear.com.au

roller

Post by roller » Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:36 pm

wilsonj wrote:Hi David, but did the roll have plastic wrapped around it also ?

The reason I ask is that for a short time the supplier was using a plastic wrap that caused the filament to go brittle.
They also did a really bad job spooling that batch too ... half way through and mine is still working through cross spooled filament.

cj7hawk

Post by cj7hawk » Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:21 pm

wilsonj wrote:Hi David, but did the roll have plastic wrapped around it also ?

I honestly can't remember. I've removed plenty of wrap from spools in the past, but can't recall if that was one of them.

Brittle? That would be a good way of describing it though.

Regards
David