Filament and Suppliers

UP User Group in Australia and New Zealand
marto

Filament and Suppliers

Post by marto » Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:47 am

Thought it would be good to have a list of suppliers and whether they have pp3dp filament and how well any other aftermarket filaments work.

First one I would like to add to the list is Bibly CNC. I have used them often for my reprap supplies.

I am currently testing their "High Temperature" filament with pretty poor results. Seems to have some major issues with warping. I thing the last part I printed warped enough to jam the movement and then the print aborted. I have started another easier part but it appears to be peeling away after just a few layers.

On the other hand they also have proper pp3dp filament and their delivery despite saying "1-2 weeks preorder" arrived within 5 working days.

If anyone else has any other experiences to add then might help each other out.

Steve

Lawrence

Re: Filament and Suppliers

Post by Lawrence » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:34 am

Hi
I have only used white Up! filament that I print with on a Gekko sheet. I have no problems with warping as long as the bed is pre-heated to 100% before selecting print, so that the Gekko sheet is fully heated and adheres well.
I have purchased black filament from Lee at Bilby but have not used it yet.
Regards
Lawrence

roller

Post by roller » Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:38 pm

First supplier I would like to remove from the list is BilbyCNC!! I ordered some genuine Up Black filament from the because they said they had it in stock and 3D Printing Systems was out of stock until January (someone fleeced them of all they had just before I ordered - I hoped maybe it was BilbyCNC). Instead of getting genuine Up Black they sent me Black Jack which is one of 3D Printing Systems value filaments.

I pointed out to me that they had mistakenly sent me the wrong filaments and they sent me an email declaring Black Jack to actually be the genuine Up filament which now comes on plastic spools. Lee from Bilby has tried to convince me twice that it is genuine despite the fact we can see clearly the two different products on the 3D Printing Systems websites and i have actually discussed the difference between the two filaments (when they had run out of genuine) with Bruce of 3D printing Systems in terms of print quality and they are different.

So I would steer clear of BilbyCNC - not to be trusted. I also bought some PLA off the last year - the bag came unsealed so the PLA has soaked up moisture (meaning I had to spend a day getting it dry in my oven and it was absolute junk anyway. Jammed the nozzle with bits of hard junk that were in the filament. Fool me once - shame on them, fool me twice shame on me ... I'm not going to be fooled a third time.

scubamatt41

Post by scubamatt41 » Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:38 pm

I like to add Formfutura to the list. I only used PLA from them so far. Still have enough ABS but when I get
close to running out I will order from them.
Always breath out on the way UP

ftdesigns

Post by ftdesigns » Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:48 pm

FormFutura seems awfully expensive though.

For 1.75mm ABS it's $0.25 per meter.
Their chart says each meter weighs 3 grams.

$0.25 / 3 grams = 8.3 cents per gram

Octave's ABS is only 3.1 cents per gram ($31 per kilo)

is the quality that much better?

scubamatt41

Post by scubamatt41 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:12 am

ftdesigns wrote:FormFutura seems awfully expensive though.

For 1.75mm ABS it's $0.25 per meter.
Their chart says each meter weighs 3 grams.

$0.25 / 3 grams = 8.3 cents per gram

Octave's ABS is only 3.1 cents per gram ($31 per kilo)

is the quality that much better?
Sorry, I can't say anything about the quality of the ABS yet. The PLA works for me. I print it directly onto a PMMA board/sheet. About costs, I live in The Netherlands hence we have the € valuta. For me it is sheaper, faster delivered and I can order per spool. Last time I checked I had to place an order of 4 org spools to even get delivery. At pp3dp you can't order single spools, so you have order above $100.

roller

Post by roller » Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:08 am

At pp3dp you can't order single spools, so you have order above $100.
At least you can order from PP3DP!

scubamatt41

Post by scubamatt41 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:27 am

You mean to say that you can not order from Formfutura roller?

marto

Post by marto » Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:45 am

So roller just opened my plastic I ordered from bilby over christmas one black, one white.

Seems they have tried to pull the same deal on be with the "Black Jack" plastic. Not sure if its worth making an issue of. But probably wouldn't order from Bilby again.

Might as well pay the few extra $$ and go to bruce for the legit stuff.

Steve

roller

Post by roller » Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:30 pm

Well Bilby is claiming that it was Bruce who told them Black Jack is the legit stuff. I don't believe them personally as it's so obvious on 3D Printing Systems webstore that it is a different non genuine plastic so I don't think Bruce would try to pull such a scam especially when it's so obvious. Anyway, I have already made a fuss over the point so I think they will happily refund you now. They are paying the return postage on mine though I had to threaten to report their bait and switch to the ACCC before they stopped claiming it was genuine. I definitely will not order from them again.

marto

Post by marto » Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:55 pm

Well I have heard that all of the "Value ABS" range is complete rubbish so not really keen to keep it.

Pretty obvious its not legit. I bought their aftermarket high temp stuff and it really didnt work very well at all, I gave them feed back on this but really didn't care as it was aftermarket cheap and a bit of an experiment for me. But this is quite clearly marked as genuine and it quite clearly isn't so I hope I don't have to have the same fight as you did with them.

Steve

roller

Post by roller » Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:06 pm

If you have any push back from them PM me and I'll provide the full info on my conversation with them.

cj7hawk

Post by cj7hawk » Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:35 pm

Is the black-jack stuff no good? It's what came when I ordered my printer ( other than the roll of white ) but I don't recall anyone passing it off as genuine. Then again, I was only expecting whatever that was supplied to work well.

I've noticed that the best prices for filament to Australia seem to be around $45 per K delivered. Is there anything to watch out for when buying filament? Is buying generic filament an issue?

Thanks
David

wackojacko

Post by wackojacko » Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:45 pm

Hi Guys

We do differentiate between the UP plastic and our own flavour and we would never try to sell one as the other. Our web site is very clear between the two. Since we started with our own blend of ABS we have been constantly improving it. Yes the early stuff we came out with was not great. Our new formulation is not as strong as the UP filament 90%, but does warp less than the UP filament and for some that is a huge benefit and prints come out with excellent results. Our high impact Crystal does need work (print on fast) and does absorb moisture very fast so always keep it dry. We now have 500g rolls so you can have a wide range of colours for less.
We are or of stock of UP ABS and will have stock mid January.

Have a great New Year and thanks to everyone for their support this year!
Cheers
Bruce

We have a very exciting announcement on 1st of January!!

Shameful self promotion: last day to get 50% off our value and special line of filaments (25% + 25% with coupon code for 5kg+) : supersize - does not include UP filaments.
Bruce
http://www.3DPrintingSystems.com

Need help with your printer, check out our Youtube channel.
https://www.youtube.com/user/3dprinting ... /playlists

Lawrence

Post by Lawrence » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:21 am

Hi Wackojacko
Please, please, please tell us on 1st January that there will be a new bigger Up!
Oh well, four more sleeps to wait.
Regards
Lawrence

wackojacko

Post by wackojacko » Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:28 am

Sorry to disappoint you the news isn't that big! I wish it was though!
Bruce

roller

Post by roller » Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:35 am

We do differentiate between the UP plastic and our own flavour and we would never try to sell one as the other. Our web site is very clear between the two.
Yes, well this is what I said to Lee of Bilbly and he was adamant 3D printing Systems told him this was the new official Up filament. I didn't believe him but I think you need to drop him an email to stop him besmirching your business reputation.

I wish I hadn't wasted my money with them so I could afford to partake of your sale.

wackojacko

Post by wackojacko » Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:44 pm

It was just a misunderstanding, it wont happen again. Regarding our announcement (it has been delayed for a while until is ready :oops: )
Bruce

Lawrence

Post by Lawrence » Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:15 am

Hi Wackojacko
Do we really have more sleeps to wait for the big announcement? Oh well! Can you notify us on this forum when it has been made?

Also

Hi Roller

Re:
Yes, well this is what I said to Lee of Bilbly and he was adamant 3D printing Systems told him this was the new official Up filament. I didn't believe him but I think you need to drop him an email to stop him besmirching your business reputation.
just to set the record right. If the person you spoke to at Bilby was a "he", then is was not Lee, because Lee is a "she", and a very pleasant young lady to speak to.
Once again, from my personal experience I have found Lee extremely helpful, and knowledgeable about 3D printing.
Maybe it wasn't Lee you were dealing with.
Not that it helps you with your filament problem!

Regards
Lawrence

wackojacko

Post by wackojacko » Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:40 am

Yes Lee is very helpful and knows her stuff.
Bruce