Looks like we are up and running

UP User Group in Australia and New Zealand
mec949

Re: Looks like we are up and running

Post by mec949 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:46 am

welcome aboard section8! feel free to post some pics of what you've made :mrgreen:

[cool, i got the first post on page three! i know, i know, it's not a competition :D ]

Section8

Post by Section8 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:58 am

Thanks,

Here's a bracket I made for mounting a speaker on top of my monitor.

I also have several things published on thingiverse

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:40240
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:40017
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:39309

mec949

Post by mec949 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:24 am

nice!

mec949

Post by mec949 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:57 am

just wondering has anyone tried to print the new dizingof voronoi yoda?

looks like and awesome print

wish i had my own machine

Section8

Post by Section8 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:20 am

Link?

Section8

Post by Section8 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:38 am

So mine broke. I was getting prints stopping partway through with the "platform too hot" error. Turns out the cable connecting the heater and sensor was faulty.

One thing I will say is that 3dprintingsystems were pretty good about helping and sending out a replacement part. Thumbs up for them

wackojacko

Post by wackojacko » Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:15 am

Thanks Section8, hope you get the part soon so you get back up and printing.
Bruce
http://www.3DPrintingSystems.com

Need help with your printer, check out our Youtube channel.
https://www.youtube.com/user/3dprinting ... /playlists

Section8

Post by Section8 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:34 am

oh I got it yesterday and am up and running now.

Doing a print about as big as possible on the up which is going to take 10 hrs. The baby grand in the lobby at work doesn't look right without a Beethoven bust on it.

wackojacko

Post by wackojacko » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:21 am

What kind of work has a baby grand?
Bruce

Section8

Post by Section8 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:18 pm

wackojacko wrote:What kind of work has a baby grand?
It's a tax refund shop, but my boss owns the building. Really I think she just wanted to get it out of the house :)

Section8

Post by Section8 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:52 pm

And here it is (orange is our company branding color).

wackojacko

Post by wackojacko » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:57 pm

Great print, to get any white blemishes back to the original colour use a hot hair dryer or quick flame over the model or brush with acetone or acetone vapour. Caution each of these require certain safety aspects!
Bruce

mec949

Post by mec949 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:04 am

is it just my imagination or is this no post february. i dont remember the announcement...
its raining and im bored

mec949

Post by mec949 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:52 am

I had an interesting thought this past weekend. Im a casual primary school teacher and was making a crude working model of a morse code tapper, or straight key as they are known. Buying the parts was a pain as the cost made it just a prototype and class set would take a lot more thinking.

Using foamcore for the body and key, I roughly wired up a buzzer ($4, so a class set of 1 s. key to a group of four students would cost $32 just for the buzzers!) and the head off an led torch. A stack of batteries and 4m of wire and it does work enough to show the concept clearly to children.

I have stuff all experience in electronics but it would seem that making anything for a majority of science activities is killed by the cost of materials (class of 32 kids in 8 groups of 4) or actually finding the materials you need.

Through the whole silly endeavour I was constantly thinking "if i had a 3d printer [up plus] i could design all the flaws out of this and just print them, with recesses for all the wiring and a proper hinge for the tapper. I love teaching science to kids when i get the chance. but often you cant get what you want or it costs too much...sigh

Still, its way fun hijacking a science class!

Joseph

Post by Joseph » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:22 am

Hello All,

Good to see that there are others enjoying their UP!s. I'm an architect and play with printing models of designs at home after hours. I am far from perfecting the process
(currently ArchiCAD to sketchup to meshlab to UP!) but have managed to produce a few decent models of a new house. Good enough to astonish the client anyway.

I have given the best one to the client for their pool room but will print another so that I can post a picture.

Cheers,
Joseph

mec949

Post by mec949 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:31 am

Joseph wrote: I have given the best one to the client for their pool room but will print another so that I can post a picture.
Yes! pictures please. havent seen much building moldeling in here : )

if I only had an up...

roller

Post by roller » Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:29 am

I'm an architect and play with printing models of designs at home after hours. I am far from perfecting the process
(currently ArchiCAD to sketchup to meshlab to UP!) but have managed to produce a few decent models of a new house.
Hey Joseph, I'm an archi student (mature) who built my own (and a fair few other) printers and CNCs to experiment with models - as such I have only dabbled with Archicad but I am wondering why you have to go via sketchup to meshlab?

Joseph

Post by Joseph » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:23 am

Hi Roller,

We do all our design and documentation in Archicad so the model gets pretty detailed pretty soon after starting work on it. The other problem is that the glass in windows is 10mm thick and so can't print as a thickness. We haven't worked out how to convert to the envelope of the model into a single mesh in ArchiCAD and so we use Sketch Up to make a single envelope. I haven't done that part of the process - someone else in the office did that.
We are playing with Rhino at the moment as a better tool than sketch up to convert into a mesh and to export directly as a .stl to print. I will be trying to print an 8 storey apartment building in the next two days so I will post the results.

Cheers, Joseph

josejuako

Post by josejuako » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:44 pm

I used Joseph Archicad, Solidworks, but today I use Rinhoceros is faster, easier to use and if print is very good for me and what has happened to the .stl easily. When glass is not anything left empty, then put the glass scale with films that are used to polarize the windowpanes. I'll like to see your model .

roller

Post by roller » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:49 pm

Joseph, Sketchup is a bit woeful for ensuring you get good solids - it has a tendency to make STLs which are not solid which will confuse the up and may also result in little messes in areas which you are seeing. I haven't converted through Rhino yet just from it so it will be interesting to see your thoughts. Either way, as a last step, run your STLs through the Netfabb cloud service to clean them up thoroughly. This should yield much better results - I do this with all my Sketchup models just in case I messed up a surface in editing the model.

Where are you located, if you don't mind me asking?