Looks like we are up and running

UP User Group in Australia and New Zealand
ascort

Re: Looks like we are up and running

Post by ascort » Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:36 pm

mec949 wrote:Welcome ascort

Perhaps we could start a molding and casting thread. ascort, you seem to have the experience in this and it is something that I have always wanted to try. Would you be willing to do the instructing?
A moulding and casting thread would be good, but I really would not consider myself any sort of an expert to do instructing. There are some topics that I may be able to assist with, but my experience with resin casting is not that vast though. It does not go too much deeper than what I have in my web page.
Lawrence wrote:Hi
making molds from a 3D print and producing models in clear or metallic tinted resins does seem an interesting direction to go to achieve exciting results. And adds an extra creative avenue.
Regards
Lawrence
The aluminium powder in the resin gave quite a good result, but it does require the cast part to be buffed after casting. As well as the looks, it added strength to the finished casting. The 'gold' powder was not so successful. It sped up the setting too much and my results were not so good.
Form wrote:Gday ascort,
I briefly described my experience with a first attempt at lost wax casting from pla in the up mini questions section a few days ago (see "pla problems") - it may be of some interest to you.
I'd be happy to answer any questions you have (if I'm able).
Please keep in mind though that my casting experience is limited to precious metals casting in either centrifugal (quite a few years ago) or vacuum casting (I currently use a Kerr vacuum casting unit with a electro melt).
I had missed your post in the up mini section. The metal casting is something that I have always wanted to do, but I have no immediate plans at this stage, but one day before too long I certainly hope to go down that path. My first steps are to master the 3D aspects of TurboCad Pro and get the printer set up and working.

mec949

Post by mec949 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:20 am

there is now a moulding and casting thread

smarthall

Post by smarthall » Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:09 am

Hey all,

Balwyn, Melbourne here. :D

I got my printer last week. Though from the output I've had it feels like I've had it about a month.

I haven't yet designed any of my own prints, just basically addicted to thingiverse. :D

Lawrence

Post by Lawrence » Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:02 pm

Hi smarthall
I think most of us spent a week or so when getting our Up! just in awe of the capabilities of the mighty little machine. I have now started designing my own models to be part for projects I am working on. That is the next stage of AWE - to imagine, visualise, and design something and then see it created in front of your eyes.
Tonight I printed two parts that lock together and to laser cut acrylic parts, using 4 nuts and bolts also printed on my Up! The parts fitted together precisely as planned at the first attempt beautifully. It is great feeling to design multiple parts that must fit each other.
I am sure you will get many hours of enjoyment from your Up! also.
Regards
Lawrence

mec949

Post by mec949 » Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:41 am

merry christmas all. may you have a restful day with family and friends

cj7hawk

Post by cj7hawk » Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:35 am

Hi All,

David here from Perth, Australia. I am only using the printer for @home stuff ( not my day job ) but have been very impressed with the UP Mini since it arrived. First project was a main housing for a wearable display ( helmet-mounted super VGA ) and it was my first project with 3D CAD too. As I sent it to the printer, out the box and just calibrated, I was starting to think I should have printed a test model first. Surprisingly, everything fit perfectly and the parts just went together as planned. Though I measured a battery about 1mm too small lengthwise and had to use a clip to hold the battery housing together.

Already loving it, but still just a 3D design novice and still stumbling my way through the 3D print design process.

Other projects in the week since it arrived are ( so far ) a potting boot for image intensifier assembly and a USGI helmet mount connector. Also working on a long-range illuminator ( like a torch, but infra-red ) and trying to work out if I will be able to print threads at all if I make them coarse enough, or whether I will have to print it and cut them on a lathe. And not really sure what I can do between all my tools yet to use the 3D printer with the lathe/mill and CNC machine.

Just a quick question - has anyone else noticed when listening closely and printing a wide circle, that the servo's inside the UP sound like they are playing very soft music?

Regards,
David.

nintenhar

Post by nintenhar » Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:36 pm

Frankston area Victoria here.

Just got mine.

RobGer

Post by RobGer » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:19 pm

Hi David,

Sounds like your making some pretty interesting stuff with your printer. It would be great to see some photos of your completed designs.

Rob.

Lawrence

Post by Lawrence » Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:13 am

Hi nintenhar
I'm close to you. Cranbourne.
Regards
Lawrence

mec949

Post by mec949 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:49 am

has anyone used the 'shell' printing option in 1.18?

wackojacko

Post by wackojacko » Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:13 am

Yea, it's pretty cool as long as you don't have major overhangs.
Bruce
http://www.3DPrintingSystems.com

Need help with your printer, check out our Youtube channel.
https://www.youtube.com/user/3dprinting ... /playlists

roller

Post by roller » Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:41 am

Now if it would just do thinwalls (single sided or one layer thick walls) so I can do all my favourite thingiverse and design prints. Fingers crossed.

mec949

Post by mec949 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:48 am

are there any conventions featuring 3d printing [the up] coming up in the new year? in january or febuary?

wackojacko

Post by wackojacko » Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:09 am

We don't have any thing around then, most around May
Bruce
http://www.3DPrintingSystems.com

Need help with your printer, check out our Youtube channel.
https://www.youtube.com/user/3dprinting ... /playlists

Madox

Post by Madox » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:45 pm

Hello from Sydney, there are quite a few of us with Up!s at the local hackerspace :)

The space itself has two now :>

mec949

Post by mec949 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:27 am

is there anyone in the illawarra [wollongong/shellharbour] area with an up? :mrgreen:

norman_h

Post by norman_h » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:20 am

mec949 wrote:are there any conventions featuring 3d printing [the up] coming up in the new year? in january or febuary?
You could always go to http://linux.conf.au/ in a few weeks. There is a 3D printing talk there.

http://linux.conf.au/schedule/30011/view_talk?day=None

BTW, hello from Central Queensland.
3D Printing. Living the next singularity now.

rural1

Post by rural1 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:25 am

Hi All,

George here from Adelaide,

Had my UP Mini for 3 days - apart from a broken guide (possibly thru rough handling) and an issue today with a error message caused by a loose SD card, the little thing is fantastic.

Being a novice at CAD it took me 24 hrs with Rhino to work out why my designs were not joinging up :? - now I know all about "Unions and Nurbs" its all good - (I am just one of these noobs who thinks you can by a printer, download some software and make some complex item and press print....wrong) oh well lots to learn but being able to touch and feel the finished product is great.

Oh well my biggest item to date is up to layer 182 of 220 so in 5 min I will be able to admire my result (hopefully)

Cheers All

wilsonj

Post by wilsonj » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:16 pm

Welcome aboard George!

I'm just up the road from you, in Waikerie.

Hope that first print is a success. CAD can certainly be a steep learning curve, I know it was/is for me!

Cheers
Jamie
Regards
Jamie
3DPrinterGear.com.au

Section8

Post by Section8 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:40 am

Hey, its Carl (Section8) from Christchurch, NZ.

Had an up+ since November. Done a few designs in free-cad