Looks like we are up and running

UP User Group in Australia and New Zealand
Lawrence

Looks like we are up and running

Post by Lawrence » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:09 am

Hi guys
Some one has set it up as Australia+New Zealand Usergroup. I'm pretty happy with that!
Any thoughts from anyone whether Skype or Google is the best way to go for video linking?
Regards
Lawrence

marto

Re: Looks like we are up and running

Post by marto » Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:13 am

Hello from Brisbane.

Steve

Lawrence

Post by Lawrence » Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:03 am

Hi Guys
and now we are five:
marto - Steve (Brisbane)
Lawrence (Cranbourne, Victoria)
roller (Queensland)
mec949 (New South Wales)
wilsonj - Jamie (South Australia)

... and growing!

Regards
Lawrence

roller

Post by roller » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:39 am

Steve,

Hello from Brisbane also!!

Since it's NZ and Aus perhaps they should have named us Oceania so as not to cause a bias.

odiegel

Post by odiegel » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:10 am

And me, from Auckland, NZ... :-)
Cheers
Olaf

Lawrence

Post by Lawrence » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:20 am

Welcome aboard Olaf.

mec949

Post by mec949 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:49 am

its good to see a few people in here. I thought I would this post simply because there havent been any for a few days!
So what is it that people do when they are not here. Im a casual primary teacher. What about every one else.

what sort of things do people up on their printers, why did they choose to get into 3d printing?
do you think they should have 3d printers in primary and high schools?

bark if you are happy

Lawrence

Post by Lawrence » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:39 am

WOOF.
Occupation: I am an almost retired TAFE teacher who is no longer teaching because of a heart condition, but now able to work from home doing flexible hours totaling equal to 2 days per week - designing on line learning content for other teachers, and as a help desk for any of their online learning issues.
What do I do on my 3D printer. So far not much, but only today I designed my first "own" model in SketchUp to be used in a project I am working on. The part is a piece to slide along a 12mm spindle and attach to the side of a laser cut 180mm diameter acrylic rotor.
Tomorrow is "print time" to see if my feeble modelling skills have actually been successful.
Also, the boss (wife) wants me to print several snowflakes that are on Thingiverse for her to use as Christmas tree decorations, also to be done tomorrow. Busy day!
Regards
Lawrence

roller

Post by roller » Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:09 pm

Architecture student ... once upon a time (actually still do part time) I did infrastructure design (IT) and IT management consulting.

Form

Post by Form » Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:41 pm

G'day from western australia guys,
I'm a jeweller with about 8 years of rhino and rhinogold experience and send my work out for cam usually but wanted to be able to test some items before sending them for printing and casting. I've also got a b9creator on order (digital light projection, resin based printer) so I'm thinking I'll be able to do some pretty versatile items in the next little while.
Glad to be here

Lawrence

Post by Lawrence » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:27 am

Hi Form
Welcome!
we are now starting to gather strength. There will be some envious Uppers out there when you receive you b9creator.
Regards
Lawrence

ascort

Post by ascort » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:06 pm

Hello from Darling Downs area of Queensland.

My new Up plus has just arrived from wilsonj and I am keen to get it set up (once Santa says I can play with it)

My background is road planning and design. I was a draftsman in the hand drafting days and switched to CAD about 25 years ago, but as my work role has now changed, I now only get to play with CAD at home for hobby purposes.

I have been hand crafting items using silicone moulding and resin casting processes for a few years and am now keen master 3D printing with the Up. Hopefully I will also get into 3D scanning in the future.

wilsonj

Post by wilsonj » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:42 am

Hi ascort,

Welcome aboard! So how many more sleeps ?? :D

Regards
Jamie
Regards
Jamie
3DPrinterGear.com.au

Lawrence

Post by Lawrence » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:27 am

Hi ascort,
Also a welcome from me.
Regarding Christmas, I believe that in some countries or cultures the gifts are exchanged earlier than Christmas morning.
I suggest you research to find the earliest gift giving culture, maybe find that 15 generations back you have an ancestor from that culture and therefore lay claim to being part of that culture, and use that as a reason for being given your Up! earlier than Christmas morning.
Anyway, if you receive you Up! on Christmas day yo will be playing with it all day, thus ruining Christmas day for every one else. That's a second reason for receiving it before Christmas Day.
I am researching resin casting. It looks like an avenue to cast the 3D models made on my Up! Have been looking at: http://www.smooth-on.com/. It looks very interesting. We maybe can discuss it more at a later date.
In the meantime, have fun with your Up! But remember that when they call it an Additive process, they have misspelled it. It is actually is an Addictive process,
Regards
Lawrence

roller

Post by roller » Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:23 am

You think the Up is addictive - you should build a Rostock, people come over and ask to watch it print. No interest whatsoever in what it actually prints. I'm so happy it's gone to its owner. Here's an example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=od5GqSPq0cQ

ascort

Post by ascort » Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:38 am

I have been away for a few days for a work trip and have only just got home to look at the forum. Yes Jamie, it will be back to thinking about 3D printers rather than work for a few days.

I think that I may get to play with the printer early as we will be busy on Christmas day doing the family thing ..... and to not be able to play is just not fair. Maybe next weekend ......

I have been dealing with Aldax ( http://aldax.com.au/ ) for my resin casting supplies and smooth-on.com looks to provide similar products. Much of the work I have done has involved making moulds with silicone and then casting with polyester resin. It is a fun process and I am sure that using the 3D printer to create the shapes to take the moulds from should work out very well. So far I have used the resin casting to manufacture emblems for a rare car that I am restoring (no originals were available to be copied) and to also scratch build 1:43 scale solid models of the car. ( http://www.ascort-tsv-1300.com/Miscellaneous.htm ). The Up printer should be a great addition to this work.

Another process that really interests me is metal casting. I understand that PLA can be used for lost wax metal casting and I have found a few internet articles about this. When I had my stainless steel emblems cast from my resin pattern, the process was extremely expensive. Most of the expense is in having the die created to produce the wax. If the a printed PLA can be used as the wax pattern, it should make the casting process relatively cheap and simple. Now that interests me.
This is one that I found http://3dtopo.com/lostPLA/

RobGer

Post by RobGer » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:11 pm

Hi from Brisbane.
Great to see so many local users.
I am a product designer and plan to use my new UP! 3D printer for concept design work and building test fixtures and parts for our prototypes.
Currently I machine a lot of parts for our Engineers but I'm hoping now they can just print their own saving me time. :D
I use Solid Edge for my 3D modeling designs.

mec949

Post by mec949 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:43 am

Welcome ascort

Perhaps we could start a molding and casting thread. ascort, you seem to have the experience in this and it is something that I have always wanted to try. Would you be willing to do the instructing?

Lawrence

Post by Lawrence » Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:30 am

Hi
making molds from a 3D print and producing models in clear or metallic tinted resins does seem an interesting direction to go to achieve exciting results. And adds an extra creative avenue.
Regards
Lawrence

Form

Post by Form » Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:06 pm

Gday ascort,
I briefly described my experience with a first attempt at lost wax casting from pla in the up mini questions section a few days ago (see "pla problems") - it may be of some interest to you.
I'd be happy to answer any questions you have (if I'm able).
Please keep in mind though that my casting experience is limited to precious metals casting in either centrifugal (quite a few years ago) or vacuum casting (I currently use a Kerr vacuum casting unit with a electro melt).