Webcam remote viewer

Post improvements made for UP, and share ideas.
hoek67

Webcam remote viewer

Post by hoek67 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:44 am

I recently got an older PC going in the shed and moved my Up 2 Plus 3D printer in there. Works great and has freed up a room in the house.

However going out to the shed multiple times to check a print job is a pain so I rigged up a web cam above the home made enclosure that looks down onto the bed. From the cam I can see the job, the status light and the spool :-)

I used software called yawcam which is free to use to capture and stream the web cam.

If just want to view on the local network then address is <some ip>:8081 . Must make sure the router allows port 8081 to be forwarded (yawcam has instructions).

I also got it so I can access over the internet. Because the dynamic address kept changing used a free program called "No IP" at noip.com that will redirect a domain to your actual webcam address.

I'm hoping to eventually make an Arduino mod that will allow me to remote monitor other things and stop the print if bad stuff is happening.

Webcam here for a quick look (may or may not be printing etc) :-
http://kiweedcam.zapto.org:8081/

Owen Sparks aka Marksman

Re: Webcam remote viewer

Post by Owen Sparks aka Marksman » Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:50 pm

Neat idea, I'd like to do something similar at work so thanks for sharing.

Cheers, Owen S.

brunningm

Post by brunningm » Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:38 am

I've tried setting up a camera, but for me it's too much work for little gain due to it being 1 metre away from me (my printer is in my bedroom).

You should see if you can set up a livestream for people to watch...something very soothing about 3d printers in action.

hoek67

Post by hoek67 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:13 am

When plugged in and going I have now managed to live stream it (friend in Sydney has a look). I have a usb hub now so will mount a small usb led light near it as well.

I also got it working on the ipod browser.

I think I may be able to pause the print remotely by sending key presses to the 3d printer application... which could be very handy.

Ideally need just a small app that the Windows 7 PC can get messages from.