Multicolor prints using the Palette+

Post improvements made for UP, and share ideas.
pleppik

Multicolor prints using the Palette+

Post by pleppik » Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:41 am

The Palette+ is a filament splicer for making multicolor prints (up to four colors) with a single extruder. I bought one recently for use with a different printer, and the makers of the Palette+ are adding support for TierTime printers with the next software release, due out next week.
IMG_1251 (1).jpg
IMG_1251 (1).jpg (47.59 KiB) Viewed 2342 times
The picture shows a two-color test print on my Cetus. Using the Palette+ with an Up is definitely for the experienced user. You will need to slice your model using a third-party slicer (I used Slic3r, but Cura and Simplify3D are also supported). The Palette's Chroma software then processes the gcode file and replaces the tool change commands with filament splice and purge commands. You then need to run the processed gcode on the Up and load the splice commands into the Palette. They use some clever tricks to keep the splices in sync with the printer.

All in all, it's a somewhat Rube Goldbergish way to get multicolor prints, but it works a lot better than it has a right to.

brunningm

Re: Multicolor prints using the Palette+

Post by brunningm » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:57 am

I wonder how well it will work with an upbox, considering gcode is secondary...

pleppik

Re: Multicolor prints using the Palette+

Post by pleppik » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:39 pm

I expect it will work about the same. The gcode support for the printers is very comparable.

But I would strongly recommend getting comfortable with using your Up Box with a third party slicer and gcode first, before you attempt using the Palette.