Custom MCU (TinyFab) Configured for UP Plus/Afinia H480

Post improvements made for UP, and share ideas.
OCSD3D

Custom MCU (TinyFab) Configured for UP Plus/Afinia H480

Post by OCSD3D » Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:20 pm

I ordered the CPU/MCU for a failed Afinia H480(UP Plus) that I am fixing (got it second-hand) and I have used the configs provided by tinyfab and arhi to get the machine to operate and extrude material. I have not been successful with the z-probe (even though it's enabled in the config) or the nozzle height offset parts that came with the printer. Printing a calibration cube also is resulting in terrible print quality, like I'm under extruding (see-through model), and a dot will come out, then string, then dot, then string, etc.

I know the filament is good as I have used it with great success on my Taz. (Verbatim, 1.75, yellow, PLA heating at 205)

Anyone know what the esteps per mm are for the H480?
Can someone run a multimeter on their z-probe to determine the correct settings for the switch? (tip, ring, body)
How is the nozzle height tool supposed to work?

Thanks!

OCSD3D

Re: Custom MCU (TinyFab) Configured for UP Plus/Afinia H480

Post by OCSD3D » Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:49 pm

Z-Probe works!

If you don't have the original data cable, you need a non-standard cable that has a 17mm tip and these are non-standard, so any TRRS 3.5mm cable will not work as their connector is only 15mm, so it will not touch the connector at the end of the jack which is where the contact point is.

The Z-Probe/Leveling switch is configured such that Tip & Shield are closed while the switch is not activated. Upon activating the switch, the signal is interrupted.

The pinout is the same on the nozzle height switch, except that you will get continuity on Ring1 and Shield (Tip, Ring1, Ring2, Shield), but this is not utilized. Tip and Shield are interrupted in this probe until contact is made and that completes the circuit. Tip and Shield are what makes this contact probe work with the board.

The cable is a 4 wires Cliff Electronics FC68122C, available at Amazon https://www.amazon.com/dp/B011NJ0VJ6. Buy 2 cables and solder the matching colored wires together to create your custom cable.

I am still looking at figuring out extrusion, as either the extrusion is to slow or the axis are to fast.