My modificated UpMini

Post improvements made for UP, and share ideas.
heady

My modificated UpMini

Post by heady » Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:35 am

Hello,

i want present my modifications on the UpMini:

Octoprint using Raspberry 3 (+ Touchscreen)
20160717_112308.jpg
20160717_112308.jpg (744.99 KiB) Viewed 13701 times
CPU-Replacementboard to use normale G-Codes
20160711_133349.jpg
20160711_133349.jpg (1.05 MiB) Viewed 13701 times
Raspberry-Cam for PrinterControl
20160717_122738.jpg
20160717_122738.jpg (835.58 KiB) Viewed 13701 times
Webinterface for Octoprint, there are also Apps for Android
OctoMini.png
OctoMini.png (521.48 KiB) Viewed 13701 times

So the Mini is now a WLAN-Standaloneprinter for every Slicing-Software and can print without PC.

Owen Sparks aka Marksman

Re: My modificated UpMini

Post by Owen Sparks aka Marksman » Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:07 am

Very impressive work 8-)

Regards,

Owen S.

arhi

Post by arhi » Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:49 pm

that NXP chip, thats LPC1769 running smoothiware ? or?

heady

Post by heady » Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:06 pm

arhi wrote:that NXP chip, thats LPC1769 running smoothiware ? or?
Yes thats Smoothieware.

Stefan

Post by Stefan » Wed Aug 10, 2016 5:08 am

That's a great mod!

growlinsax

Post by growlinsax » Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:44 pm

I've installed the same replacement CPU and am having trouble getting prints to work. Would you mind sharing your config.txt file?

heady

Post by heady » Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:33 am

Here it is:

config.txt + Files for Repetier Host
upmini-smoothieboard.zip
(7.58 KiB) Downloaded 457 times

growlinsax

Post by growlinsax » Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:57 pm

Thank you! I'll give that a whirl and see where it leads me.

Much appreciated!

moreupper

Post by moreupper » Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:40 am

Hi

Maybe some of you can post more about the print quality compared to UP...

I have looked for a GCODE replacement for long time, and can see you have made the mod.

What do you think about the hardware, better or compared to the UP...

arhi

Post by arhi » Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:08 am

moreupper wrote: Maybe some of you can post more about the print quality compared to UP...
depends really .. compared to what is the major question .. compared to UP 2.18 (before studio fscked up my firmware so heated bed stoped working properly) with original UP! ABS .. there's no improvement in any way I'd say!

now if we take that "Studio" messed up my firmware and heated bed won't go over 50C any more and that TT say "they can't fixed unless I upgrade cpu" (which is a lie, I just need a new firmware that was already working on this board) now anything that actually work is better then UP! that does not work :D

if we ignore the fact that bed is not working (I added an external heater on the bed anyhow as this one is too slow and uneven) and compare output studio has -> I see many benefits since studio is still half baked and not really ready for production .. it will probably be soon but...

now, if we are talking about ABS that's not UP! original, if we are talking about PLA or any other material (HIPS for e.g., poly* filaments ..) it's non-comparable, with UP! or UP! Studio you just don't have enough options to tweak the print to get what you want .. so in this case the TT software just isn't usable .. the lack of g-code preview also makes it almost unusable for complex parts even with their original ABS .. etc etc ..

since I don't use original UP! abs and I do print complex parts for me difference in quality is HUGE. for starter I was never able to properly mesh 2 parts printed with UP! with regular ABS (not original up one) .. as it's overextruding it always .. no it's a piece of cake :D
moreupper wrote: I have looked for a GCODE replacement for long time, and can see you have made the mod.

What do you think about the hardware, better or compared to the UP...
this is a completely different question really. I switched to smoothie and npc board since when I already purchased it the "decoder" app was not existing / working ok with my up. today there's app that will take g-code that your regular off the shelf slicer produces (simplify3d, slic3r, cura, craftware..) and will convert it to UP! "code" and upload to printer so you don't need to change your cpu or do any hw mods in order to get "regular g-code" to work!!!

now comparing 32bit arm with unknown mcu on the up board is not going to happen but both are adequate that's for sure ... to bad the arm board does not have header for ethernet phy & plug ... that would actually be a real upgrade but tinyfab didn't manage to cram that into board this small :(

snakesrules

Post by snakesrules » Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:56 am

Hi there,
with this mod CPU and 3rd party software , is there still the avaibility to use platform height compensation in an Up Mini as we would do with up studio ?
My platform level on my up mini is not that good and i have to compensate it .
Regards.

arhi

Post by arhi » Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:11 pm

snakesrules wrote:Hi there,
with this mod CPU and 3rd party software , is there still the avaibility to use platform height compensation in an Up Mini as we would do with up studio ?
My platform level on my up mini is not that good and i have to compensate it .
Regards.
dunno how it works on mini but on upplus and this cpu you get smoothieware and smoothieware does bed compensation 100000x better then up software, instead of making "raft" that levels your bed and then print on raft, it actually print compensated directly on the bed ... I replaced the pertinax board with glass and I print on glass directly, compensated... the bed Z height is useles (I removed the sensor) and the Z micro switch for leveling is terrible (repeatability is worse then 0.05mm :( ) so I replaced it with inductive sensor but yes, you can, if you replace cpu and configure smoothieware, have compensation .. again, not sure how exactly it works with mini, and you will have to change config to adapt to mini (not same as for plus) ...

for start I'd do it differently
1. figure out how to make your bed level so you don't need compensation (on up!plus I removed the bed, added some heat paste between heater cartridge and heater block, and between heater block and bed plate, tightened all 3 screws to the maximum and then loosen only 2 of them so bed is leveled, when the springs are very tight the screws don't easily change position, I haven't had to re-level the bed for weeks and it's printing in average min 15 hours per day)

2. use the "translation" software nice guy's made to print normal g-code on your up printer

only if you notice you have "real" need for a new hardware, you think about switching to a NXP board and smoothieware, if the translation app was working ok back then I'd never switch, now I don't plan to go back since I already have rpi there with camera, network, octoprint...

snakesrules

Post by snakesrules » Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:39 pm

Hello,
i've ordered a 3rd party CPU so that i will test it :D
Anyway, i'm very interested in knowing how Heady has dealed with this matter of bed levelling with the mini .
In the worst case, i can always modify the current bed to have something better in terms of level .
I'm very satisfied with the mini after some mods ( heating bed to 80°, buildtak on the bed, other fan cooler ) so i can always revert all the mods if something goes the wrong way .