G-Code transcoder part 3 (printing objects)

Post improvements made for UP, and share ideas.
waferzh

Re: G-Code transcoder part 3 (printing objects)

Post by waferzh » Wed Jun 08, 2016 4:02 am

dear all
I have one problem with my plus 2
When I use the up3dload it show a error msg:
[ERROR] USB Open Device (4745:0001/2777) not found

My system is winXP and Win7
Up info : UP! version 2.18
UP Plus 2 (M)
Rom V6.10
Firmware: V3.30

Hardware IDs
USB\Vid_4745&Pid_277d&Rev_0100

Thanks.

ftdesigns

Post by ftdesigns » Sat Jun 11, 2016 3:09 pm

Wait. Hold up. Wait a second. Let's go back here for a sec.

Can I actually use Simplify3D slicing software with my Up! and Afinia?

heady

Post by heady » Sun Jun 12, 2016 6:48 pm

How can i make a Heatbed-Calibration with Simplify3D like the 9 Point-Calibration of the UP-Mini-Software ?

heady

Post by heady » Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:22 am

I would like to print with octoprint. But i need an ini
Alternative i would slice with repetier host.
Can someone upload an Repetier Host RCP-File or an Cura-ini-file for the UP-Mini ?

kcarbuncle

Post by kcarbuncle » Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:59 pm

Tested with
UP Plus 2 (H)
TypeID: 227B
ROM: 6.0900
And Simplify3D, used the same settings in the 2nd post but changed the print area (140x140x135), and edited some parameters. Printed a Marvin keychain on Esun PETG (235C nozzle, 100C bed)
But it works (holy cow :D )! THANKS FOR THIS (hopefully we can merge it with S3D or cura or etc, to make the transfer easier or a simple GUI that runs the executables will work too)!
(now i need to tweak! which i've been avoiding, and is the reason i bought the UP! haha.)

[EDIT]
Ok, started to run into problems with the transcoder:

1) The initialization is a bit rough to the UP for my liking (the X axis/extruder slams loudly into the frame and bounces if the extruder is a bit far from 0)
2) Sometimes the print just stops after making the brim (stays in place after finishing the brim), dont know if it's because of the brim setting.
3) Bowl mode makes a very large file (from 3mb to 10mb), testing printing right now.
3) Upload is sloooow. (10-11kB/s speed)

Anyways keep up the good work!

furnibird

Post by furnibird » Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:07 am

Hi All
My upbox nozzle height in up software is 209.3 and when i add this to transcoder it starts print mid air about 50mm above bed. What am i doing wrong.

Cheers

furnibird

Post by furnibird » Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:56 am

Willing to donate to get this working and I done.

furnibird

Post by furnibird » Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:55 pm

Is this mod dead ?

aesdaileblp

Post by aesdaileblp » Fri Sep 02, 2016 6:37 am

I'm trying this out on our Up! Box as I type...

Correct, there is no info anywhere on what sane settings for the Up Box might be, so I risked all and guessed.

The 'Height to Nozzle' is totally different to what the Up Studio reports. I suspect this distance in Up Studio is added to a constant. Trial and error (yikes! nothing damaged... :shock: ) found that reducing this number put the bed further from the nozzle; hence - this is the real distance from nozzle to bed.

The handy laser disto reported 233mm - this trial produced the print about 1mm above the bed. I then tried 234mm - an audible 'click' as the head started moving and the nozzle just clipped the board edge, but it is printing sucessfully! Next try I will do 233.5mm...

So far so good, and the print is MUCH improved because I could tune it properly in Slic3r.

I only have Simplify3D at home, so I will try some gcode from that next week.

Pictures soon, once it's finished!
Adrian Esdaile
Senior Project Architect
Billard Leece Partnership Pty Ltd
Architects & Urban Planners
http://www.blp.com.au

Elenc

Post by Elenc » Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:02 am

Hello Adrian,

Sounds like your having some success with Transcoder.
Could you please post your Slic3r setting for the Up Box, thanks.

Regards
Egon

Kai

Post by Kai » Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:13 pm

I am not sure about the original developer/maintainer of the transcoder, but it is silent for some at his channel.
So I created a new github repository for further improvements https://github.com/UP3D-gcode/UP3D

Recently I have discovered that the 0.7.0 version still has issues with the accuracy, e.g. the infill pattern is misaligned to the perimeters.

https://cloud.githubusercontent.com/ass ... 8465ae.jpg

I drilled into the issue by even capturing the movement data (1 ms intervals) and reverse g-code them to see this issue closer.
Here is a picture of this type of "raw" capture data (some 600K samples):

https://cloud.githubusercontent.com/ass ... 3f4085.png

Then I added some filtering and processing to join the little 1 ms pieces together. This resulted in a more clean image, but still
didn't resolve the issue (but damn I got it reduced down to some 20K g-code moves). This image is a capture result of on a UP mini:
https://cloud.githubusercontent.com/ass ... cbaaed.png

Next I remodeled the error in the UMC to G-Code translation (UP3DTOOLS/convg.exe) to see if I can figure out where it might originate from.
Finally I pinpointed the issue to a slight miss-calculation on the move instructions and then it was easy to fix it :D

Now this gives me good control on the UP printer for all kind of parameters, like layer, infill, temperature, nozzle sizes... etc by using standard Slicers G-Code files. Personally I tested Slic3r and Simplify3D, both work fine now with the UP.

Binaries to be found on the above link, here is the short cut:
https://github.com/UP3D-gcode/UP3D/releases

Next project is to get a better workflow integration with this tools. Currently I work on an AppleScript (as Folder Action), so you just save the G-Code to a dedicated folder and it asks to print. Nozzle Height and printer type is adjustable and gets saved... so no fiddling with the command line, all GUI driven :ugeek:

-Kai

Kai

Post by Kai » Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:58 am

So there is a new version of the transcoder available. It allows for tuning the process parameters for acceleration, speed and junction deviation.
This allows you to make really smooth prints without loosing time :ugeek:

I have also created GUI frontend for the transcoder running under OS X. This is a alpha version, so give it a try.
The App is available under the above link.

kcarbuncle

Post by kcarbuncle » Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:34 pm

Nice! will test all of these as soon as possible on my mac. Thanks!

abardaji

Post by abardaji » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:06 pm

Hi guys,

I'm a new joiner and I found the limits of the UP Studio with my new up! mini 2. Great printer, but I would like to move beyond with a more advanced software like Cura, Slic3r or Simplify3D.

I see awesome developments here creating G-Code transcoders for UP printers.

Could you tell me how I can use them to play with slic3r or Cura and my wonderful up mini 2?

Many thanks,

Antoni, :)

sheng

Post by sheng » Thu May 04, 2017 5:19 am

Hi,

What settings should be provided so this transcoder can be used for UP Plus 2 such as nozzle height, max speed or acceleration etc? Can this be used for cura?

Thanks.

ana11

Post by ana11 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:10 am

mr_x wrote:Hi,

The first version of the transcoder, an uploader and a printing Brisbane software (just text mode for now) is available.

I compiled it for MacOS-X, Linux and Windows ... yeah slicing and printing even from Linux is possible now :mrgreen:

All details on my blog:

http://stohn.de/3d/index.php/2016/03/03 ... der-part3/

Since I have much better control of the printer now I just made some experiments with a much smaller 0,2mm nozzle :roll:

http://stohn.de/3d/index.php/2016/03/09 ... -to-0-2mm/

Results are very promising (getting close to my best self made 3D printer now), more to come soon.

Maik
Hello,
Can I use this setting in normal mode printer?

reaganks

Post by reaganks » Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:02 pm

Kai wrote:So there is a new version of the transcoder available. It allows for tuning the process parameters for acceleration, speed and junction deviation.
This allows you to make really smooth prints without loosing time :ugeek:

I have also created GUI frontend for the transcoder running under OS X. This is a alpha version, so give it a try.
The App is available under the above link.

I am wondering if this system works with the newly released UP Mini 2?

halfluck

Post by halfluck » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:41 am

Hey Guys,

Having some issues with the G-code Transcoder on our UP Mini. Whenever we transcode a file and send it off to print
it never completes, every print the extruder just stops at some point in the job but stays hot so just melts a blob where
it is up to. I read some comments on github with workarounds like lowering the speed to 25mm/s and adding G4 P1 to each
layer change and retract OR dropping down the a_factor to 30 (or below) and v_factor to 70 (and below) but neither of these
have solved my problem.

Does anyone successfully use this? or even better found a workaround for this issue?

Thanks Rob.