WORKING: SOFTWARE TEMP MOD - ADJUSTABLE LAYER HEIGHTS !

Post improvements made for UP, and share ideas.
middelweerd

Re: WORKING: SOFTWARE TEMP MOD - ADJUSTABLE LAYER HEIGHTS !

Post by middelweerd » Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:11 am

Great work Mr_X and Forsaken!

I've got the software temp mod running on OSX using Parallels. I used the precompiled version of the *.dll.
In the standard software, printing without raft the printer still printed a one layer raft. This seems to be gone in de temp mod. I may have overlooked this but is this turned off in the precompiled settings?

I'm trying so hard to make the PLA/PHA ColorFabb filament work on my UP! Mini. I've made the temp switch Roller designed. A lot of cluncking after a few lines. The software mod doesn't get me further. The clucking is gone but the filament seems to get stuck after a few lines.
Is this something I can solve tinkering with the settings on the software mod or do I need to do some more hardware modding?

I'm thinking about isolating the heater and cooling the extruder stepper motor with extra fans. Does anyone know what kind of connectors PP3DP used for the fan connectors on the mainboard? The standard connectors that come with fans are different.

Thanks!
Coen

printmo

Post by printmo » Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:32 pm

Checked back after a long time and the reverse engineering has gone crazy on the up! Awesome work mr_x and Forsaken :D! This was a long awaited (and never implemented feature by pp3dp) for the up software! Chapeau!

Getting a proper slice preview of the whole part is also very helpful to create parts without support or figure out bad design decisions! Hopefully it is still on your to-do-list (an easy to use version of the up to gcode converter e.g. like the 'winusb.dll', maybe an input output exe for pp3pd-files)!

brainzilla

Post by brainzilla » Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:09 pm

@printmo
I have the same setup. The PLA problem is that the filament in the extruder-part gets too warm too quickly and then transport fails.
You want to fine-tune the settings via the DLL mod to a point that he BARELY prints. What I mean by that is that you need a temperature so close to the point where the nozzle would stop extruding because the PLA is to hard already.
Then work around that temperature with layer #1 and raft. I found that #1 needs to be quite hot so it spreads out and sticks to the base well.
For the raft layer I use the above mentioned absolutely lowest temperature that still works. I usually get some clinks and clanks at that point, because the extruder is at it's force-limit with the PLA being so pasty. But as a reward this raft will remove like a charm.
For the model itself I use a 15 centigrades higher temperature than for the raft. But you will have to fiddle out the details yourself for your own batch of PLA. Make a small test object that prints in 3 minutes and find that sweet spot.

Details:
http://www.pp3dp.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... =40#p43522

I reversed the extruder-fan and clipped a second on to the front of the extruder-stepper.

printmo

Post by printmo » Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:05 am

brainzilla wrote:@printmo
I have the same setup. The PLA problem is that the filament in the extruder-part gets too warm too quickly and then transport fails.
Thank you for the explanation, I'm aware of the PLA problem and its cause. I managed to get about 7 hr of continuous PLA printing out of my machine with one of my hardware mods in the past. (http://www.pp3dp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=54246 and 5 hr PLA demo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vjwDb5efZo). Sometimes my printer still clogs at the very first layer. Using this mod I am now able to experiment with the temps of the first layer and maybe fix the problem. The other parameters look good for printing with my PLA filament (recommended 200-220 °C printing temp). Maybe I will lower the temps of layer 1 and layer 3+ about 5-10 °C to prevent initial and possible long term clogging and reduce the printing speed a little bit. With a layer height >= 0,2 mm I had no problems with PLA raft removal in the past. Going below 0,2 mm will require temp changes of layer 1 and 2 as well to achieve easy raft and support removal.

Update: Managed to fix my problems with the first layer! Had to increase the temperature of the fist layer to reduce the viscosity of the molten PLA. Proved my theory concerning the gap clearance between nozzle and bed is too tight in certain areas (due to warping of the bed and imperfect leveling) creating too much pressure (like a hydraulic gap seal) on the non molten PLA filament plunger. In retrospect I'm pretty sure a manual correction of the nozzle height might have helped as well. Reducing the temperatures like I've stated before didn't work out.

My temperature settings for Innofil3D PLA (Attention: I'm using this mod http://www.pp3dp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=54246 No stock Up plus 2):
Layer 1: 220 °C
Layer 2: 200 °C
Layer 3+: 210 °C (not tested with print times > 30 min yet!)

Misterc

Post by Misterc » Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:40 pm

I apologise if I have not fully grasped application of this mod, I am very new to the 3d printing world and only acquired my mini up last week.

When you open the software and fixup3d pops up where is it getting the values from ? I presume somewhere on the PC either directory or registry. I would just like to confirm the process of submitting a job to the printer with the tailored settings in Fixup3d. If I hit print in the UP software (using v2.12 as I have noticed the raft size is a lot narrower than latest version) does it send the print and settings to the FixUp3d popup window and I then need to modify the parameters and click send Gcode and sent Temp, or do I set the parameters in the custom box of Fixup3D and then select print from the UP! software menu ?

Then finally once I close the UP! software and open it again, it is pre-populated again with the settings I modified last time (in this example "set 1") if I print a job from the UP! software now and change the properties of the print (in the UP software) and send to print, is it going to use those properties or is it going to take the ones from the FixUp3D ignoring the ones from the UP! software ?

I'm very sorry if its a very naïve question, just want to make sure I have grasped it properly.

Thanks
Mike

NAST555

Post by NAST555 » Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:06 pm

Misterc,

I was actually thinking the exact same things that you are. I have just received some pla and abs from a different supplier and wanted to start messing around with it. It seems that both of us will be waiting and hoping that the smarter guys/gals will clue us in :D
The distance between insanity and genius is measured only by success

Kai

Post by Kai » Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:44 pm

I am using this hack under OS X 10.10.4 running the UP! software 2.1.5 in a VirtualBox with Windows 8.
Prior I was running 2.1.3 Mac version natively.

I noticed that running the new 2.1.5 and FixUp3D privation with no raft behaves differently. Now there is no raft (single) layer anymore and the print starts directly
with the first layer of the part I am printing - I love this, since I only have to remove the part from the board, no more "no-raft" layer removal :)

I am still confused with all the new settings, especially when trying to change layer hight. What is the Set 1 to 4 referring to, is this the UP software layers height setting (0.2 / 0.25 / 0.3 / 0.35) to dial Set 1 to 4? Or are that simply 4 different settings I can use arbitraly?

Next does anybody have successful parameters for 0.15 layer height for the 2.1.5 version with no raft?

NAST555

Post by NAST555 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:51 am

Misterc wrote: or do I set the parameters in the custom box of Fixup3D and then select print from the UP! software menu ?

Thanks
Mike
After some playing around it seems that this is how it works

NAST555

Post by NAST555 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:16 pm

Ok thanks to the developers :) Really a MASSIVE THANKS!!

I have been playing around with the feeds today on really small parts and it has done wonders.
I bought some ABS from a different supplier and was having trouble with it coming out of the nozzle too quickly... I then realised that playing with the temps helped in that aspect but then the hatch speed was waaaaay to quick for the little part that I was trying to print without a raft. The poor little thing stuck nicely on the borders but pushed the small legs off as soon as it started hatching. The pic is what I landed up using.
Attachments
ScreenHunter_01 Aug. 13 15.16.jpg
ScreenHunter_01 Aug. 13 15.16.jpg (124.89 KiB) Viewed 15779 times

Billzilla

Post by Billzilla » Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:37 pm

mr_x wrote:The project is FULLY-OPEN-SOURCE :D and available here: https://github.com/ForsakenNGS/FixUp3D
So how do you download it?
I right-click on the .DLL file and it saves as a web page.

Edit - found a copy, never mind.

Yes it works well! Thanks very much. :)

Billzilla

Post by Billzilla » Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:38 am

Okay a hiccup found.
Loaded everything up, pre-heated the platform & print nozzle, then hit the print button.
A beep or so, information gets sent to the printer, all just like usual, then when it comes time to print nothing happens and the print nozzle just cools down.
WTF is going on?? Doesn't seem to happen all the time.

Woodlake

Post by Woodlake » Sat Aug 22, 2015 12:52 pm

NAST555 wrote:Ok thanks to the developers :) Really a MASSIVE THANKS!!

I have been playing around with the feeds today on really small parts and it has done wonders.
Thanks for posting the screen grab NAST555.
I managed to come to some very similar setttings for using 0.1 on my Up Mini (which doesn't have that layer height by default) after a bit of trial and error.
I'm curious to know if any of the setting have changed to achieve the easier raft removal in the new release of the software. Any chance you could compare?

I haven't had chance to print anything with the new 2.17 software yet, but it appears that the "ABS+" setting doesn't alter any of the standard values (on the mini at least).
I'm guessing it may be achieved by altering the standard temperature settings. I'll have to run a few test prints and see...

My thanks to the OP for the fantastic post and releasing this excellent mod!

changfrancis

Post by changfrancis » Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:09 am

pls share your findings :D

I got the new ABS+ filament for UP Plus v1... havent got a chance to test it fully. However, my first print reviewed that the new ABS+ filament is glossy white (with a tinned of yellow) unlike the old filament which is mat white.

cheers

NAST555

Post by NAST555 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:23 pm

Ok I got my ABS from a different supplier sorted out so I thought that I will try something else from them. I bought some plain black and also glow in the dark (green) ABS and have been struggling my butt off with the glow in the dark stuff. It seems to like to get jammed in the feeder gear, or more accurately the feeder gear likes to put indents into it, so I used my micrometer and measure it up. The dia of the filament looks a pretty constant 1.75 give or take a few hundredths so that is not the problem. To the touch it is as though this abs does not snap when bent like normal abs but more like a softer break. Also it seems that it prefers to have the nozzle set a tiny bit higher off the build plate for it's first layer. I cleaned all my old abs "glue" off the plate and re-set the height about 0.05 higher that the norm and got a decent'ish print yesterday. I then tried again this morning and the same problems arose with the feeder gear. So I thought let me play with temps a bit to try to get it feeding into the nozzle easier and it seems to have worked so far. 2 1/2 hrs into a print and all seems fine. It is as though the first bit of the filament squishes nicely and sticks well but it leaves tiny points sticking out that eventually block the nozzle. I opted for a raft for that exact reason.
Attachments
2.jpg
2.jpg (188.85 KiB) Viewed 15436 times
1.jpg
1.jpg (211.54 KiB) Viewed 15436 times

NAST555

Post by NAST555 » Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:16 am

Woodlake wrote:
NAST555 wrote:Ok thanks to the developers :) Really a MASSIVE THANKS!!

Thanks for posting the screen grab NAST555.
I managed to come to some very similar setttings for using 0.1 on my Up Mini (which doesn't have that layer height by default) after a bit of trial and error.
I'm curious to know if any of the setting have changed to achieve the easier raft removal in the new release of the software. Any chance you could compare?

I haven't had chance to print anything with the new 2.17 software yet, but it appears that the "ABS+" setting doesn't alter any of the standard values (on the mini at least).
I'm guessing it may be achieved by altering the standard temperature settings. I'll have to run a few test prints and see...

My thanks to the OP for the fantastic post and releasing this excellent mod!
Right I just downloaded 2.17 and am going to try it with standard settings and just temp mod for my abs. I will report back to you with my findings with raft removal ;)

brainzilla

Post by brainzilla » Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:27 am

I installed the lates WIN version of the software and the mod is still active.
Seems to work fine for PLA here, I see no differences in handling a part or printing it.

Woodlake

Post by Woodlake » Sat Sep 05, 2015 1:46 pm

NAST555 wrote: Right I just downloaded 2.17 and am going to try it with standard settings and just temp mod for my abs. I will report back to you with my findings with raft removal ;)
Cool, thanks!
I have been using .15 for most of my prints and they come out great with the raft easily removed.
I will be very interested to hear your findings and if anything has changed at the .1 layer height.

NAST555

Post by NAST555 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:51 am

Woodlake wrote:
NAST555 wrote: Right I just downloaded 2.17 and am going to try it with standard settings and just temp mod for my abs. I will report back to you with my findings with raft removal ;)
Cool, thanks!
I have been using .15 for most of my prints and they come out great with the raft easily removed.
I will be very interested to hear your findings and if anything has changed at the .1 layer height.
Ok i did a few tests and... it seems pretty much the same as before. I might be ignorant but not much has seemed to change.

brainzilla

Post by brainzilla » Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:25 am

Only bad new thing is the GIANT raft that comes with every print...
2x the size, 2x the time, 2x the material…
useless…

mb20music

Post by mb20music » Thu Sep 10, 2015 7:37 pm

brainzilla wrote:Only bad new thing is the GIANT raft that comes with every print...
2x the size, 2x the time, 2x the material…
useless…
The larger raft is supposed to help prevent lifting I assume...

I currently have both Afinia v2.13 and UP! v2.17 software on my PC, so when I don't want / need a larger raft I just open and use the Afinia v 2.13.