WORKING: SOFTWARE TEMP MOD - ADJUSTABLE LAYER HEIGHTS !

Post improvements made for UP, and share ideas.
brainzilla

Re: WORKING: SOFTWARE TEMP MOD - ADJUSTABLE LAYER HEIGHTS !

Post by brainzilla » Thu Sep 10, 2015 7:42 pm

mb20music wrote: The larger raft is supposed to help prevent lifting I assume...
I would say it is a mix of compensating for a flawed bed-heating and trying to sell more stock filament…
Nevertheless PLA sticks already well to bluetape and ABS gets into those little holes fine.

Woodlake

Post by Woodlake » Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:42 am

NAST555 wrote: Ok i did a few tests and... it seems pretty much the same as before. I might be ignorant but not much has seemed to change.
No worries - thanks for reporting back. I didn't see much change in the tests I ran either.

I didn't notice the increase in raft size though - I'll have to compare a model in the two versions.
I any case, I'll just use v2.17 when I need the "thin wall" option, otherwise I can go back to the previous version for all other prints.

zonsoft

Post by zonsoft » Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:08 am

Hi guys.
Could somebody please post your successful settings for 0.1 layer stickness with standard ABS (UP! V2.17)?
I keep getting too rare strokes, print looks like microfiber.

My setup (only changed values):

Temp 260 255 250
Layer Thickness 0.10
Scan Width 0.47
Hatch Width 0.50
Hatch Space 3.00
Support Width 0.50
Support Space 5.00
Scan Speed 20.00
Hatch Speed 30.00
Support Speed 35.00
Feed Scale 0.50

What could be possibly wrong?
Thanks in advance.

New found settings:

Temp 250 245 240
Layer Thickness 0.10
Scan Width 0.45
Hatch Width 0.47
Hatch Space 3.00
Support Width 0.50
Support Space 4.00
Scan Speed 30.00
Hatch Speed 35.00
Support Speed 40.00
Feed Scale 0.45

... and everything is quite good for now. A little on the slow side, but acceptable.
I also did some modifications on my Mini to use standard nozzle - Tiertime's is too expensive IMHO.
Last edited by zonsoft on Sat Oct 17, 2015 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

koreandi

Post by koreandi » Fri Oct 02, 2015 5:36 am

Hi zonosoft...

I refitted my original UP! Mini Printerhead with an asian one.
I was absolutely frustated not getting any succesfull print with PLA anymore (had the Temp-mod / Software-mod / New spool holder / extra fans and cooling segments).

I am using a 0,4mm nozzle (have also a 0,2 / 0,3 / 0,5) and completely changed the standard settings.

The maximun Layer hight is: Nozzle Diameter x 0,8.
The Layer width is: Layer hight x 1,5.

I cannot find quickly the links but some people made great calcuations and graphics about that.

So now I am printing with: Nozzle 0,4mm
Layer hight 0,2mm
Layer with 0,3mm

Layer hight 0,25mm
Layer with 0,37mm

Layer hight 0,3mm
Layer with 0,45mm

Layer hight 0,35mm (normally to high when calculated)
Layer with 0,52mm

Then I adjusted the Scales to get a fully closed Layer with no Gap. Also it should not be too much. I checked that by looking when the machine "Jumps" to another region. It should not touch and scratch the printed surface with the nozzle.

Maybee try to change for Layer hight 0,1mm the width to 0,15mm and adjust the scale speed.

With the new Printer head and the new setting I succesfully print +4 hrs print in ABS with just an aditional temp-switch and no extra fans.
It is only the one 40mm that came with the new extruder, which is much less noisier that the one with the original.

I hopefully will find some time this weekend and will present this mod in this Forum.

I never had any clogging since than and printed nearly 1,5 kg PLA.

greetings
Andreas

hoek67

Post by hoek67 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:20 pm

Hi, looks good... one small bug though.

It assumes the original DLL will be in "c:\windows\system32" which is not my case. I ended up using hexedit to find the string and changed the "c:" to "e:" which also meant I didn't have to grab all the stuff to recompile.

They really need to implement this in their own software, main reason being I really DO NOT need premium OEM filament for rough prototypes. In hindsight I must admit because of this I would have saved another $1000 and got a printer with a larger print volume and has a good open source software.

brainzilla

Post by brainzilla » Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:14 am

hoek67 wrote: They really need to implement this in their own software, main reason being I really DO NOT need premium OEM filament for rough prototypes.
But THEY need to make money from original filament!
And givent that the original stuff runs at about € 40,– / kg - they have no incentive to change that.

The Mini is a nice printer, but "huge", "very fast", "good extruder" and "open source" are not features you might associate with it :-)
I personally like it because it is so small, has a housing and relatively fast for a quick print.
And with this softmod plus some premium PLA it also prints reliably.

TheSik1

Post by TheSik1 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:44 pm

I tried the temp mod with the Ebay stuff (GBB) and I can't get it to act right at all. I'm not sure why out of all the temps I've tried I cant seem to get one I like. I've included a snip of my screen, maybe someone can see something wrong.
Attachments
Fix Up Screen.JPG
Fix Up Screen.JPG (73.59 KiB) Viewed 17316 times

TheSik1

Post by TheSik1 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:50 pm

Also Is it possible to get a little more info on what each setting does or at lest the important ones?

peterprinter

Post by peterprinter » Thu Oct 29, 2015 2:20 am

Running Up 2.17 on Widows 81. 64Bit.
It crashes is I select any of the tabs other than Set 0 (i.e. if I select Set 1 then it crashes).

I'm a little confused by how this all works. Does this mean the setting I make in the UP software no longer make any difference, and if I select 0.15 for the thickness in the UP software, it uses the modified settings in Set 0?

TheSik1

Post by TheSik1 » Fri Oct 30, 2015 4:58 am

I've just started using the adapted software and yes when you make an alteration in the adapted software window like layer temperature it will override any other settings. And if you make a change to other layer setting like the layer thickness it will override the other settings within the app software.

mb20music

Post by mb20music » Fri Oct 30, 2015 5:12 am

TheSik1 wrote:I tried the temp mod with the Ebay stuff (GBB) and I can't get it to act right at all. I'm not sure why out of all the temps I've tried I cant seem to get one I like. I've included a snip of my screen, maybe someone can see something wrong.

Why do you have the nozzle heater temp value so high? if you are using aftermarket ABS try Layer1- 240, Layer2- 235, Layer3- 230

Xonor13

Post by Xonor13 » Sat Jan 02, 2016 7:09 pm

Could someone post a picture of their setup for 0.1 mm layer height because i've been having trouble with my current setup and i can't find the right settings to have a successful print. I'm running the software mod on my UP Mini.

moreupper

Post by moreupper » Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:41 am

Is there a param for setting the temperature on the base plate?

brainzilla

Post by brainzilla » Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:27 pm

moreupper wrote:Is there a param for setting the temperature on the base plate?
That thing is just ON/OFF. Controlled by the thermo-switch underneath the board.

Xonor13

Post by Xonor13 » Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:40 am

With this software mod do you think it is possible to make the program print without any supports by adding a simple button to change the angle of the overhang to 0 so it doesn't generate any support for the print? This would help improve prints without the need for any supports.

steelmans

Post by steelmans » Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:12 am

Xonor13 wrote:With this software mod do you think it is possible to make the program print without any supports by adding a simple button to change the angle of the overhang to 0 so it doesn't generate any support for the print? This would help improve prints without the need for any supports.
You can do this in the UP software anyway. Just select "Only base" on the AREA dropdown.

cc4469

Post by cc4469 » Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:48 pm

Dear Uppers,
I'm quite new to 3D printing. My first 3D printer is an Up mini, and I was pretty satisfied with the results of objects "printed out of the box" with stock filament.
Now I got a different filament (eSun ABS), and got involved in the problem of Up using different temperatures for the stock filament compared to competitors filament.
After all, I found the Software Temp Mod very helpful! Adjusting temperatures was easy, but there are still some open questions:
How can I adjust the layer thickness? Which is the right sequence of actions?
Do I have to open the stl-file in Up! first, and click "Sent GCode"? Or do I have to open the stl-file in Up!, click "Print" in Up!, and afterwards the "Send GCode" in FixUp3D? I didn't find an answer to this question, using the Search in Up3D-Community, nor in the documentation on GitHub. Any help would be appreciated!
Greetings from Germany,
CC.

Matchpoint

Post by Matchpoint » Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:12 pm

I made an icon for fun for this...

Flintstone

Post by Flintstone » Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:46 pm

cc4469 wrote:Dear Uppers,
I'm quite new to 3D printing. My first 3D printer is an Up mini, and I was pretty satisfied with the results of objects "printed out of the box" with stock filament.
Now I got a different filament (eSun ABS), and got involved in the problem of Up using different temperatures for the stock filament compared to competitors filament.
After all, I found the Software Temp Mod very helpful! Adjusting temperatures was easy, but there are still some open questions:
How can I adjust the layer thickness? Which is the right sequence of actions?
Do I have to open the stl-file in Up! first, and click "Sent GCode"? Or do I have to open the stl-file in Up!, click "Print" in Up!, and afterwards the "Send GCode" in FixUp3D? I didn't find an answer to this question, using the Search in Up3D-Community, nor in the documentation on GitHub. Any help would be appreciated!
Greetings from Germany,
CC.
Well, when you install the mod a new windows will open - inside there you have 4 Sets - those 4 sets correspond to the 4 default sets you have when choosing "Print" inside UP. So, if you change Set 1 you will actually alter the 0.2mm profile, if you change Set 4 you will alter the 0.35 layer profile.

So, to print using an alternative layer thickness you just change the value inside the FixUP3D window (Layer Thickness) and then click print (inside UP) and choose the corresponding layer thickness profile.
In this thread there are some settings listed, you will need to change a few other values aswell if you change the layer thickness.

cc4469

Post by cc4469 » Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:44 pm

Thank you very much, Flintstone! I'm going to test this tonight and let you know. I never would have established the link between the different Settings from the Print-menu to the FixUp3D sets of Parameters.
Once again, thank you very much!