WORKING: SOFTWARE TEMP MOD - ADJUSTABLE LAYER HEIGHTS !

Post improvements made for UP, and share ideas.
stormychel

Re: WORKING: SOFTWARE TEMP MOD - ADJUSTABLE LAYER HEIGHTS !

Post by stormychel » Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:00 pm

Very nice, thank you for sharing :)

@roller : It works fine in VMware Fusion :)
@stormychel

DrewPetitclerc

Post by DrewPetitclerc » Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:07 am

brainzilla wrote: But it seems there are problems regarding raftless printing.
Using 0.35mm layers and turning off rafts produces a regular "start-strip", so far so good.
But when laying down that one thin layer to print on, then the nozzle is too far away from the board and produces curls that do not touch the bed.

All on latest UP! software and the latest Mini model.

EDIT:
Just tested raftless with 0.15mm layers.
This _kinda_ printed, but the first layer is still just extruded into the air, meaning that this time with thinner layers it touches the bed and sticks a little bit (but is pulled off at next contact with the nozzle.)
So it seems it gets the z-heigt for the groundlayer wrong - instead of pressing it into the bed at 1/3 (just a guess) layerheight, it uses 1/1 layerheight.
Think about it for a moment, you set the "Z" height of the nozzle to the build surface at 0.200mm, so the system says that is 0, so if you print with raft the system has the thickness of the raft before it begins to make the model, this is a part of the code, then you ask it to print without raft asking it to perform 0.150mm layer thickness and the first layer is extruded into a gap of 0.200mm between the build plate and nozzle.
Unless you change the "Z" to 0.150mm or smaller to print with those settings you will have issues.

Simple common sense.

Regards
Drew
Drew Petitclerc
Petitclerc Designs
Owner/Senior Principal Designer, prototype, tooling and test equipment design and 3D printing
http://flash-graphics.deviantart.com/
http://www.thingiverse.com/DrewPetitclerc

brainzilla

Post by brainzilla » Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:50 am

No, that is not what what happens.
Raftless printing uses this single thin layer.
Using the softmod he prints that in the air. Meaning: he lifts the head prior to printing.
I tried this at 0.35mm also and it fails. Using the same calibration, without softmod, it works just fine.

teamcarlisle

Post by teamcarlisle » Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:38 am

So the profile you tweak will make a difference too. I selected the .15mm profile on my up plus 1 and changed the layer height to .1mm and it printed without a raft just fine. the profile in general needed other tweaks though, it was over extruding horribly, i only changed the layer height, but the flow rates and everything else were still setup for .15mm printing.

brainzilla

Post by brainzilla » Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:11 am

teamcarlisle wrote:So the profile you tweak will make a difference too.
Aha! That kinda makes sense in the context of a hacked layover-DLL.
Will try with another Set to start from.

koreandi

Post by koreandi » Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:23 am

Hi,

my experience with 0,1mm printing is to set the field

Scan Scale
Hatch Scale
Support Scale

to 50% of original value.
In my case:

Scan Scale - 0.5
Hatch Scale - 0.525
Support Scale - 0.45

You can roughly double ckeck this if you make a print previev with a model at original 0.2mm settings. Write down the approx. weight and then set the layer to 0.1mm. If you don´t change the scale it will be nearly double heavy.

The scan speed I found out so far are:

fine - 14
normal - 22
fast - 35

I checked this by printing a caylinder with feature shell and no raft. Then I wrote down the print time and manually changed the scale value to get into the same print time like setting fine/normal/fast. In shell mode it only prints out 2 lines each value with scale speed.

Can anybody double check this?

So if you want to print a high detailed part you can increase the quality by changing scan speed below 14.

greetings
Andreas

bitflusher

Post by bitflusher » Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:21 pm

Amazing, thanks for making this.

This week my printer will be used for a large Multi-part print, next week using this is on my to-do list!

The delayed start is the unanticipated feature, no more waiting for a bed pre-heat and then hitting print.

One question, can this be used to pause/resume printing? Sometimes I like to remove a loose strand. additionally i would use it to change filament on the fly (use up those almost empty rolls of filament.

RSeeG

Post by RSeeG » Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:47 am

Firstly, huge thanks for writing this software!

I keep getting an error" Nozzle too cool Layer:2". The temperature settings are L1:245, L2:240, L3:235.

Any Ideas why this is happening.

Also, at what point during the process of setting up the print should I press "Send Temp" to adjust to the desired temperatures.

Thanks in advance

brainzilla

Post by brainzilla » Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:43 am

RSeeG wrote: Also, at what point during the process of setting up the print should I press "Send Temp" to adjust to the desired temperatures.
before sending a file to the printer obviously.
or better said: It will print with what you have sent - and you select the set you want by choosing the corresponding one from the Layer Height Menu.

mr_x

Post by mr_x » Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:00 pm

koreandi wrote: ...
My experience with 0,1mm printing is to set the field
Scan Scale - 0.5 Hatch Scale - 0.525 Support Scale - 0.45
The scan speed I found out so far are: fine - 14 normal - 22 fast - 35
Thanks a lot for this investigation. This is the help we need to push things forward.

mr_x

Post by mr_x » Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:18 pm

Right now Forsaken and me are making some progress in deciphering the UP "program" format (the data sent to printer which represent the print job).

After we fully understand the UP program commands (we are close to 80% now) we can make a GCODE-->UP Program converter.

:arrow: This converter will let us use ANY available GCODE slicer (e.g. slic3r / cura / skeinforge / KISSlicer / ...) in the future :D :!:

---

A first simple tool (for developers) is available in the project repository: https://github.com/ForsakenNGS/FixUp3D/ ... ster/tools
It is a proof of concept UP program to GCODE converter, just to verify all the parameter and settings.
(The developer version (compile yourself) of FixUp3D writes a binary file of the UP program each time you send it to the printer.)

Here a first screen shot of an UP program which was converted to gcode (using the tool from above):

Gcode Viewer: Repetier-Host

---
:mrgreen:

jairogj

Post by jairogj » Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:46 pm

:shock: good :idea: genius :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :lol: TANK'S...

RKov

Post by RKov » Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:54 pm

Could someone post exactly step by step how to use FixUp3D?

DrewPetitclerc

Post by DrewPetitclerc » Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:44 am

RKov wrote:Could someone post exactly step by step how to use FixUp3D?
Yes, please, a process tree would be helpful to get started.
Thank you
Drew Petitclerc
Petitclerc Designs
Owner/Senior Principal Designer, prototype, tooling and test equipment design and 3D printing
http://flash-graphics.deviantart.com/
http://www.thingiverse.com/DrewPetitclerc

RSeeG

Post by RSeeG » Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:32 am

I established that pressing the "send Temp" button at any time during printing will change the temperature setpoint. How do I know?... if I enter a lower temperature into the Layer3+ field and press "send Temp", the percent temperature field displayed in the footer of the up software jumps to a value greater than 100% and then gradually falls back to 100% as the head cools to the new temperature.

roller

Post by roller » Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:33 pm

mr_x wrote:Right now Forsaken and me are making some progress in deciphering the UP "program" format (the data sent to printer which represent the print job).

After we fully understand the UP program commands (we are close to 80% now) we can make a GCODE-->UP Program converter.

:arrow: This converter will let us use ANY available GCODE slicer (e.g. slic3r / cura / skeinforge / KISSlicer / ...) in the future :D :!:

snip
I'm not sure it's all that useful to turn the Up into a reprap. The advantage of the Up is the removable support which most gcode based slicers cannot do well. What I would love to see is Up program code transcoded to gcode. This would be a benefit especially to those who have fried motherboards.

pp3dp.nl

Post by pp3dp.nl » Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:43 pm

roller wrote:
mr_x wrote:Right now Forsaken and me are making some progress in deciphering the UP "program" format (the data sent to printer which represent the print job).

snip
I'm not sure it's all that useful to turn the Up into a reprap. The advantage of the Up is the removable support which most gcode based slicers cannot do well. What I would love to see is Up program code transcoded to gcode. This would be a benefit especially to those who have fried motherboards.
That would really suck for PP3DP, a big part of their success is the great software. If anybody with an open source machine could use PP3DP's own produced closed code they lose a bit of their edge over the rest (and to me doesn't fit into open source right?). I know some companies tried to buy the PP3DP algorithm, if this gets ''hackable'' by everyone I feel for TierTime/PP3DP..

jairogj

Post by jairogj » Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:00 pm

Really the algorithm of pp3dp is great but the problem I (my opinion) the adherence of hot table were revised or improved, I guarantee you, we would not have to seek alternatives to work, great softare for many warps warps warps and warps. This lack of attention from guys in solving this forces us to look for Outings (6 hours warp printing) does not want to be just printing 10x10 squares. Attention without polemics, this is my opinion for PP3DP. Great solutions were presented by the users and not by guys manufacturers. warp warp warp. Premium filament warp warp warp and my table this 100% calibrated I LOVE UPMINI but ... warp. I'm sorry but ... warp warp warp :evil:

mr_x

Post by mr_x » Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:25 pm

RSeeG wrote:I established that pressing the "send Temp" button at any time during printing will change the temperature setpoint. How do I know?... if I enter a lower temperature into the Layer3+ field and press "send Temp", the percent temperature field displayed in the footer of the up software jumps to a value greater than 100% and then gradually falls back to 100% as the head cools to the new temperature.
The "Send Temp" button is to modify the temp while the printer is printing. It is a feature to test different temperatures during print to find the best for your material.

When you want to set the temperature for a print job, just enter ALL 3 FIELDS
Layer 1: 250
Layer 2: 245
Layer3+: 240

Then load your model and transfer it to the printer. NEVER EVER PRESS THE "SEND TEMP" BUTTON and your are fine.
During sending the print job to the printer the temperature settings are applied already.

mr_x

Post by mr_x » Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:29 pm

roller wrote:

snip
For sure this will NOT convert your printer to a reprap (the printer just stays a closed machine like it was before).
It just enables us to use MUCH MUCH better slicers than the one provided from PP3DP. The removable support is not always helpful. Most of the time I want to print models without any support at all... This option is simply not available with the PP3DP software. Also the PP3DP path finding is a very basic solution. Almost every other slicer is having much better options nowadays. Also the removable support thingy is best from PP3DP WAS right several years ago. Open source Slicer technology evolved a lot during last 3 years...