WORKING: SOFTWARE TEMP MOD - ADJUSTABLE LAYER HEIGHTS !

Post improvements made for UP, and share ideas.
mr_x

WORKING: SOFTWARE TEMP MOD - ADJUSTABLE LAYER HEIGHTS !

Post by mr_x » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:49 pm

***** NOTE *****

Hello,

FixUp3D is not developed anymore.

Meanwhile I created a G-Code transcoder which will let you use any Slicer (e.g. Slic3r, Cura, Simplify3D, ...).
It already has support for Mini / Classic / Plus / Box.

Check it out here: https://github.com/MaikStohn/UP3D

Small How-To here: https://www.stohn.de/3d/index.php/2016/ ... tle-how-to

Forum discussion here: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=55250

Maik

***** NOTE *****

Hello UPers,

Forsaken and me spent the last month to create an incredible ADD-ON for the UP! software.

Now you can set the nozzle temperature to anything you like by just entering the desired value(s).

You also can create or modify the print sets in order to get higher resolutions, different speed profiles, ...

The project is FULLY-OPEN-SOURCE :D and available here: https://github.com/ForsakenNGS/FixUp3D

Have fun with your LIBERATED printer :mrgreen:

Mr_X & Forsaken
Last edited by mr_x on Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RKov

Re: WORKING: SOFTWARE TEMP MOD - ADJUSTABLE LAYER HEIGHTS !

Post by RKov » Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:42 pm

I copied winusb.dll and pasted in C:\Program Files\Up\, but im getting a error message and UP! software wont load unless i delete the .dll. The pic is the message i get.
rsz_1error.jpg
rsz_1error.jpg (71.18 KiB) Viewed 48096 times

caesar

Post by caesar » Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:51 pm

A big cheers and congratulations to both of you, this looks awesome!

As I already have temp mod and bed temp mod, the most interesting part are 0.15 and 0.10 layers on my Mini.

Edit: Slicer complains about missing libwinpthread-1.dll missing. Probably because I don't have MinGW?

mb20music

Post by mb20music » Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:06 am

caesar wrote:

Edit: Slicer complains about missing libwinpthread-1.dll missing. Probably because I don't have MinGW?
I get the same error message when I try to open the UP! program. Do I need to download the driver? I am trying this on winxp on an older Sony laptop...

mr_x

Post by mr_x » Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:26 am

Thanks for reporting.

Looks like we missed to link this file static.

Next pre compiled version will include it.

EDIT: Fixed already. Just download the DLL again and it will work without libwinpthread-1.dll

omegatron

Post by omegatron » Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:03 am

Amazing work guys, should put a donation link on your GitHub project IMO.

Some suggestions:
1. Allow pulling of current profile from existing print settings or include a predefined profile so people don't have to guess what "standard" values should be.
2. Allow the box to be shrunk or backgrounded so it doesn't take up so much of the screen when you're trying to work with a print.
100micron-layer-size-up-mini.jpg
example
100micron-layer-size-up-mini.jpg (89.24 KiB) Viewed 47997 times
And a question, you've got in your example config the nozzle size set to 0.3mm, isn't the Up Nozzle site 0.4mm? Are you actually using a 0.3mm nozzle for your print or am I missing something?

scubamatt41

Post by scubamatt41 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:45 am

Hi and thanx for setting my UP mini free. Would it to much to ask for some sort of manual?

Cheers
Always breath out on the way UP

Forsaken

Post by Forsaken » Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:04 pm

scubamatt41 wrote:Hi and thanx for setting my UP mini free. Would it to much to ask for some sort of manual?

Cheers
I'll try to get a simple introduction done this evening. Quick and short:

For all input fields / adjustable values:
- Green color means default values will be used / are set
- Yellow color means a custom value is set and will be used
- Delete the input field's content to restore the default value
The heater temperatures are configurable for different layers individually:
- Layer 1/2: Affects only the first/second printed layer. Usually ~10°C hotter than the rest of the layers. Up! does the 1st Layer 10°C hotter and the 2nd 5°C.
- Layer 3+: Temperature for the 3rd and following layers. This temperature should also be used for extrusion/withdraw (gotta check this to be sure)
Preheat timer: Delays print jobs by the given number of minutes. Use as following: (Keep in mind this feature is quite hacky atm.)
- Input the desired delay
- Start print job with the desired settings
- The software transfers the data to the printer and stops the job before it actually starts printing
- Preheating for the given delay starts (See the title of the FixUp3D window)
- After preheating is done, the printer starts the job
Print sets:
- Just change the values you like and start the print job afterwards
- Keep in mind the up software will only list the layer heights. Using the same layer height for multiple sets will be confusing!

I hope this answers all/most of your questions. Have fun :D

koreandi

Post by koreandi » Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:23 pm

Oh my god...

you are a genius. I already tried 0,15mm on my Mini without any issues.
Whatabout if I go deeper into settings like the scan speed. Will it automaticly compensate the feed of my filament? You know what I mean? Or do I have to balance it manually?

Could you add a help feature on your SW Mod? Maybe to explain by a ? the single fields with hints? Will you add a multilanguage version? I´ve seen you are german and as the UP Software is already in german it would be nice.

I also would donate the work you´ve invested. If you PM me you PayPal I like to donate...

Greetings
Andreas

mr_x

Post by mr_x » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:07 pm

Hello,

all parameter names are extracted from the UP software (it writes the labels to the registry :mrgreen: ).

FixUp3D is not doing anything with the parameters. They are just passed to the UP software.

So right now we don't know exactly what parameter is doing what exactly. Only wild guesses.

So please experiment yourself and share the result.

:arrow: :arrow: :arrow: ANY HELP IS WELCOME :!: :!: :!:

RKov

Post by RKov » Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:23 pm

My UP! software keeps closing when using this mod. Should i already have the printer powered on and initialized before starting the software?

Macflame

Post by Macflame » Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:37 pm

Brilliant job. Vive UP! Liberté!

mr_x

Post by mr_x » Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:18 pm

omegatron wrote:And a question, you've got in your example config the nozzle size set to 0.3mm, isn't the Up Nozzle site 0.4mm? Are you actually using a 0.3mm nozzle for your print or am I missing something?
The 0.3 nozzle size also confuses us... This are the parameters as read from the printer. The software uses them even without FixUp3D installed.

A wild guess could be, that they print with underfeed of material - means moving nozzle but not pushing as much as would be required to get 0.4 wall thickness.
With this technic you can print down to 0.2 walls with a 0.4 nozzle, but usually this takes a lot of profile tuning to get it work correctly.

This means that the NOZZLE_DIAMETER value is just a "hint" for the software in which distance it will put perimeters next to each other.

The material flow seems to be regulated with the FEED_RATE parameter only, but the software still needs to know how close to put the perimeter together...

If I have some time I will make a custom nozzle with a 0.2 hole (happy drilling...) and manipulate feedrate and diameter value. From what I observed I'm 99% sure this could work :D

mr_x

Post by mr_x » Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:20 pm

RKov wrote:My UP! software keeps closing when using this mod. Should i already have the printer powered on and initialized before starting the software?
Please re-download the winusb.dll from our project site. We did some cleanup and fixing to prevent app crashes / unexpected app closes.

RKov

Post by RKov » Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:35 pm

So, what is the send temp button for?

Forsaken

Post by Forsaken » Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:28 am

Also now a first version of a documentation is available. Its a bit more detailed and better written than the one I put in this thread earlier.
https://github.com/ForsakenNGS/FixUp3D/ ... ntation.md (also linked in the readme)

If you find out the purpose of some printer settings feel free to share it. mr_x and me will update the documentation to always show the latest knowledge about the function of each parameter.

roller

Post by roller » Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:40 am

Hey guys ... first a big thanks for your work. This is just what we've been waiting for and this is looking awesome. I haven't used this yet as I'm a Mac user and haven't dusted off the Win box yet.

I am not awfully surprised by the unusual nozzle size settings. As a long time reprap user back from the days when we had to amnually set every parameter there would be often times where we would tell the software a lie because it would give the ideal compensation for fixing a print issue. In this case it probably relates to the change in overlaps we have seen over software versions. I suspoect they tweaked using this variable and because it's usually hidden didn't feel a need to fix it elsewhere in there algorithms.

I'll be keen to see if this will allow us to get a result much closer to 100% infill (hatch space). It is requested so often.

I suspect feed scale will be the feedrate multiplier to compensate for varaions in how much fialment is fed per rotation. This is commonly used to resolve underfill/overfill problems, variations in bite depth of the extruder on difference materials and to adjust for variations in filament diameter. This parameter might open the door to custom extruders including indirect designs that will solve PLA extrusion issues.

To anyone wanting to try layer height below 0.2mm - make sure your bed is extremely close to level (or accurately compensated in software). Generally anything below 0.1mm is a pain anyway and not worth the effort but if you try it don't get upset your prints dont work... prints get fiddly and painful at these layer heights.

Questions:
In developing this hack have you guys seen anything that relates to the print volume? If we could adjust that then we could use the guts of Up printers to build bigger printers.
Have you seen any variable for the retract setting on the printer. This controls how much the printer rewinds filament on a move to prevent ooze. It would be nice to be able to modify this for some of the more exotic filaments like nylon.

jairogj

Post by jairogj » Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:20 am

Hey Houdini, almost free
I am using a UPmini with 2:13 software.
I try to use the heated table of ABS to print the PLA temperature setup.
The temperature indicated by the manufacturer of PLA is 190-220 C.
But the initial doubts: The ABS setup my printer is informing 1 layer 275, second layer 220 (very low) and the third layer 270.
What can this be, I was trying to warm up to 1: 225, 2: 220 and 3+: 215 printer is the first layer of the raft ok, and at the beginning of the second, and says to cold nose, and stop (printing config ABS and printing with PLA) my table does not heat with the config PLA.
Thank you for sharing your knowledge see the screen shot of Upmini

tanks all
Attachments
Upmini.JPG
screenshoot my UP software
Upmini.JPG (140.5 KiB) Viewed 47926 times

Fred

Post by Fred » Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:06 pm

Great work. I'm still using original filament so no urgent need for it, but I've noted the URL just in case this post disappears. I hope Tiertime are forward thinking enough to ignore this and just not support anyone who's using this, rather than changing their code to stop it.

brainzilla

Post by brainzilla » Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:34 pm

Just tried your DLL and it works great!
Since I am a macuser, I installed the WIN version of UP! in Parallels and added the DLL.
Printing in 0.1mm layers seems to work indeed and turning down the temperature makes my PLA rafts peel off great - FINALLY!

But it seems there are problems regarding raftless printing.
Using 0.35mm layers and turning off rafts produces a regular "start-strip", so far so good.
But when laying down that one thin layer to print on, then the nozzle is too far away from the board and produces curls that do not touch the bed.

All on latest UP! software and the latest Mini model.

EDIT:
Just tested raftless with 0.15mm layers.
This _kinda_ printed, but the first layer is still just extruded into the air, meaning that this time with thinner layers it touches the bed and sticks a little bit (but is pulled off at next contact with the nozzle.)
So it seems it gets the z-heigt for the groundlayer wrong - instead of pressing it into the bed at 1/3 (just a guess) layerheight, it uses 1/1 layerheight.