Heatbed Temp MOD

Post improvements made for UP, and share ideas.
koreandi

Heatbed Temp MOD

Post by koreandi » Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:30 am

Hi there,

I want to share my Hardware Mod for my UP! Mini I´ve realized so far. My intention was to be able to print PLA with the UP! Mini.

To be able to have control of the HeatBed temp I soldered an additional 80°C thermal resistance on the 60°C one.
IMG_5052.JPG
IMG_5052.JPG (112.36 KiB) Viewed 7087 times
I used a switch with 3 Positions. Now I am able to set the temperature to
60°C
Off
80°C
IMG_5054.JPG
IMG_5054.JPG (113.1 KiB) Viewed 7087 times
I normally print my PLA without any Heatbed temp. It sticks on my blue Tape without a raft. For the ABS Material I can now switch between 60°C and 80°C.

Best greetings
Andreas

roller

Re: Heatbed Temp MOD

Post by roller » Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:55 pm

Nice idea.

The printer doesn't complain when the circuit is open (set to off)?

koreandi

Post by koreandi » Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:05 pm

No, not yet.

The NC thermal resistance gives out a 50 M Ohm resistance if it reaches the temperature. And if I just interrupt the circuit I simulate a unlimited resistance. That means that the 12V won´t flow through the board.
In the Software the UP! is shown with 60°C on the bed no matter what temp. is set.
Especially when printing PLA I want to reduce the heat on my extruder stepper. If the PLA sticks on the board without heating I don´t want to bring additional heat in my process.

greetings
Andreas

roller

Post by roller » Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:42 am

With PLA you get best results cooling the prints as quickly as possible anyway. So just stick a desk fan in from of the Mini and blow as much air across the build area as possible. That helps the PLA solidify quickly and helps take some of the heat from the stopper motor away too (in addition to your heatsink and fan. I recommend putting a little wind guard in front of the heater block though so you don't sap heat ... the more you cool the heater, the more heat it produces to maintain temp. So cooling it where it should be hot can end up being conterproductive to overall cooling.