Understanding UP! Rom file format ==> Need USB Capture

Post improvements made for UP, and share ideas.
pleppik

Re: Understanding UP! Rom file format ==> Need USB Capture

Post by pleppik » Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:11 pm

SCPMI wrote:Given TierTimes obsessive desire to control how we use their hardware and software I wonder how long it will be before an update that a) removes the in-registry data and b) closes down this capability.

It's such a shame that they spend so much time "defending" their software and don't invest that time and effort in developing it's capabilities.
IMHO, compared to what TierTime could to do defend its hardware and software, the company's behavior hardly seems "obsessive" to me.

Here are some things TierTime doesn't do (some of which other vendors actually do):
  • Use a proprietary filament cartridge with an embedded chip to prevent the use of third-party filament
  • Require an activation key to unlock/authorize a new printer
  • Encrypt USB communications between the printer and computer
  • Void the warranty of anyone who installs a temperature mod
  • Shut down discussions on the company forum where users are openly discussing reverse-engineering the protocol to send data to the printer
On the whole, TierTime's attitude towards user modification and hacking seems to be one of benign neglect. It's true that they don't release their source code, but they never claimed to be open source. And it's true that they don't actively support the use of third-party filament, but they don't do anything to prevent it either.

I can think of several reasons why TierTime wouldn't want to put user-selectable temperature control in the software, and only one of those reasons has anything to do with selling more plastic.

SCPMI

Post by SCPMI » Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:58 am

Benign indifference. I like it. I guess you're right. :-)

I really hope the clever boffins are successful with getting this software modification of the firmware into a semi-packaged form that I can cope with, it'll be awesome

Macflame

Post by Macflame » Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:29 pm

Fascinating stuff. Keep up the excellent work!

mr_x

Post by mr_x » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:51 pm

GOOD NEWS (again)

It's done!

Software-Temp-Mod + Customizable Layer Height

http://www.pp3dp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=54781

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

mb20music

Post by mb20music » Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:28 pm

This is awesome! (as long as it is safe and won't do any damage to the printer).

How certain are you that this is safe to use?

I am mainly interested in the nozzle temperature adjustment, can you make it so that this is the only parameter that can be tinkered with? would it be a lot of trouble to do?

mr_x

Post by mr_x » Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:35 pm

The software is safe to use.

In fact the only thing that ""could"" damage the printer is setting a much to high nozzle temperature.

All other parameter changes will just lead to a bad print result. They are used in calculation of the pc software only.

Even when using to cold temperature the filament will just stuck and the print is not working. But after removing and reinserting the filament everything is working fine again.

Mr. X

mb20music

Post by mb20music » Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:13 pm

mr_x wrote:The software is safe to use.

In fact the only thing that ""could"" damage the printer is setting a much to high nozzle temperature.

All other parameter changes will just lead to a bad print result. They are used in calculation of the pc software only.

Even when using to cold temperature the filament will just stuck and the print is not working. But after removing and reinserting the filament everything is working fine again.

Mr. X
Oh ok then, I will have to give this a shot!

Is it possible for you to make it so that you can't put too high of a nozzle temperature? say maybe 280 degrees celcius maximum, just in case someone accidentally enters too high of a value?

mr_x

Post by mr_x » Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:36 pm

Right now we just don't know if the heater even can reach a to high temperature (>350deg C). For printing Nylon you need 300 deg.

It is more likely that you damage your printer by accidentally pushing it from the table than from using the temp mod.
Or you damage it by using other filament which can not take the high temperature from original software.
It is even not a good idea to print ABS at the original software temperature since ABS starts to degenerate and exhausts toxic fumes at temperatures >260 deg C....

In case you are afraid of using it just don't use it.

mb20music

Post by mb20music » Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:11 am

mr_x wrote:Right now we just don't know if the heater even can reach a to high temperature (>350deg C). For printing Nylon you need 300 deg.

It is more likely that you damage your printer by accidentally pushing it from the table than from using the temp mod.
Or you damage it by using other filament which can not take the high temperature from original software.
It is even not a good idea to print ABS at the original software temperature since ABS starts to degenerate and exhausts toxic fumes at temperatures >260 deg C....

In case you are afraid of using it just don't use it.
Well if you say it is "safe" then I have no problem trying it...

I have printed Nylon fine at the UP default temp of 270 c. by the way.

I just tried this on an older Sony laptop running Winxp and when opening the UP! Program I get the error message "missing libwinpthread-1. What do I need to do?

caesar

Post by caesar » Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:12 am

google the file ;)

mb20music

Post by mb20music » Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:13 am

I did, duh. But I want to make sure I don't screw something up. I always thought it wasn't a great idea fooling with .dll files.

mb20music

Post by mb20music » Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:16 am

caesar wrote:google the file ;)
Is that what you did, download and install the file? I see in the other thread that you had the same error message :mrgreen:

caesar

Post by caesar » Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:41 am

yup, got it from here: http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-f ... npthread-1

No installing, just throw it in the Up directory next to winusb.dll

mr_x

Post by mr_x » Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:53 am

It's not needed anymore. Libpthread reference removed.

roller

Post by roller » Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:15 pm

mr_x wrote:Right now we just don't know if the heater even can reach a to high temperature (>350deg C). For printing Nylon you need 300 deg.
I think you mean polycarbonate. The few longer term experiments I've heard about seem to suggest the Up extruder is reliable at 300C.
Last edited by roller on Sun Apr 12, 2015 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

h0wkeye

Post by h0wkeye » Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:39 pm

mr_x, Forsaken, et al. -

Awesome project!

If I build an open source filament detector that is connected via serial to the computer, could you plumb it to the pause print command?

It would basically be a 3d printed tube with a microswitch in it to detect the presence of filament passing by. I can then pipe it to a very small microcontroller that sends a simple command via a serial to USB converter. Too many times, I have run out of filament and come back to a half finished print :roll:

This could be the start of many more intelligent features in the feedback and control realm. I'm a seasoned maker and electronics design engineer. :mrgreen:

roller

Post by roller » Sun Apr 12, 2015 2:33 pm

h0wkeye wrote: This could be the start of many more intelligent features in the feedback and control realm. I'm a seasoned maker and electronics design engineer. :mrgreen:
Why not use an arduino to trigger a recorded mouse macro then to just do it via the Up software (in the interim).

JNRB

Post by JNRB » Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:44 am

Hi,

I'm trying to figure out away to only allow an Up Plus to print on a reduced area, ie make it think the bed size is 120x120 instead of 140x140. Could this be done with editing the rom file?

I work in a university facility and we have added brackets to the build plate on our UpPlus to make the perfboard easier to slide in and out (similar to UpMini). The problem is I'm concerned about the nozzle running into it if students are sending prints through that run right up to the edge.

edbordin

Post by edbordin » Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:47 am

mr_x wrote:@forsaken:
But for sure a lot of essential stuff to create a complete ROM is missing in there (e.g. IO port mapping)
This thread looks pretty dead, but on the offchance anyone is still around, did anyone ever work out what the IO port mapping values do? I've noticed that the JTAG pins are used as inputs for the bed-level sensor /nozzle height sensor. There's a small chance that changing the IO port mapping would prevent these pins from getting switched to GPIO mode and enable debugging of the CPU board.

Tiger

Post by Tiger » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:44 am

Thank's