Wireless 3D printing to the Up!

Post improvements made for UP, and share ideas.
Madox

Wireless 3D printing to the Up!

Post by Madox » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:40 pm

Subject should describe it all ;) Cut and paste from my G+
I have written up a tutorial on how to print wirelessly to a 3D printer using a cheap (~$20 delivered by eBay) WiFi router. It is actually generic to connect any to USB device over WiFi.

Hope you find this useful.

In case anyone wonders why I rant about multiple USB devices towards the end, imagine a webcam connected so you can see the print start/progress...
http://www.madox.net/blog/2013/01/04/tl ... eless-usb/

//Yes Bruce, I finally gotten around to doing it :P

Madox

Re: Wireless 3D printing to the Up!

Post by Madox » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:42 pm

PS :

If you have a motherboard with a filament feeder output but no filament feeder - then you might be able to power your router using a 5V UBEC from that output.

Just an idea, doesn't apply to newer printers or the Mini that don't have this output.

DytHlt

Post by DytHlt » Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:18 pm

Madox wrote:PS :

If you have a motherboard with a filament feeder output but no filament feeder - then you might be able to power your router using a 5V UBEC from that output.

Just an idea, doesn't apply to newer printers or the Mini that don't have this output.
The newer ones still have the output, just nothing to plug into it. Just got mine around Christmas, took me a little while to figure out what that little port was for. ;)

Marcus

Post by Marcus » Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:47 pm

Just what I wanted (see older post some time ago) :-)) Thanks I somehow ignored the wifi-thing after I took the AMD-Dectop offline...

marto

Post by marto » Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:06 am

Cool. Saw your stuff a while back and was going to try it. Unfortunately bricked my router.

So now need to unbrick it first then I can actually do it. :P

Steve

Blown454

Post by Blown454 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:43 am

Thanks Madox!

You added another project to my life, yay! I ordered my router off ebay today and should arrive Mon or Tues. This will be so darn cool and I thank you for documenting everything. I got the Blue 703 like you recommend so hopefully all goes well. Take care, -john

karvinjoss

Post by karvinjoss » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:06 am

Now WiFi printer is becoming very popular. i think the best advantage of this type of printer is mobility. Because there is no need to connect wires. even this type of printer could be also used with number of PCs..
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

marto

Post by marto » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:24 pm

So... followed the guide. Bricked 2. Just never rebooted into openwrt. No idea what I did wrong.

Steve

marto

Post by marto » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:59 pm

Correction: I just made a stupid mistake. IP conflict on my network.

Steve

marto

Post by marto » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:37 pm

And I am wireless. Well sort of, it still has LAN connection but wooo.

Any ideas if the USB connector supplies power? If so should probably try and power it off that.

Steve

marto

Post by marto » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:57 pm

@maddox any insight as to why my router would be pingable on both wireless and wired IPs when its plugged in to ethernet but as soon as you unplug that it isn't pingable on the wireless?

Also I found a nice 5V header on the motherboard which is unused. I wonder how much power this draws and whether it would be too much to power if off this bus.

Steve

Marcus

Post by Marcus » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:13 pm

marto wrote:why my router would be pingable on both wireless and wired IPs when its plugged in to ethernet but as soon as you unplug that it isn't pingable on the wireless?
Because another router or one of the computer has internet sharing enabled?

marto

Post by marto » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:24 pm

I believe my macbook has internet sharing enabled. Why would this be an issue? Wouldn't that just be it sharing internet over its local network. (ethernet to wifi) Only other router is my actual one which I hope is sharing internets.

marto

Post by marto » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:20 pm

I got annoyed at having the adapter so here is some pictures of how I connected it to the mini.

So here is the 5V

I made up two connectors

These were pushed on and the cables poked out the back.

And then soldered up to the USB cable.

Plugged him back up

And here he is sitting in his new home

JuliaDee

Post by JuliaDee » Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:28 am

Madox wrote:
In case anyone wonders why I rant about multiple USB devices towards the end, imagine a webcam connected so you can see the print start/progress...
I've got a PC on a router dedicated to the printer in my shop and no need for wireless really, but I wholeheartedly agree re webcams on the printer. I've got two of them on mine, as well as an internet-connected power switch. I keep an eye on prints in progress from my main workbench on the other side of the shop, or from home. It's also fun to send clients a link to the cam so they can see their parts being printed. The remote power switch allows me to switch off the printer and lights when a print finishes and I'm not in the shop. Can't imagine being without the cams or the switch.

Julia