Glass/Plastic plates with warped board

Post improvements made for UP, and share ideas.
richievos

Glass/Plastic plates with warped board

Post by richievos » Sun Dec 29, 2013 3:37 am

I've got an Up Plus v1 that I've been using for awhile. I've seen the success people have had printing on glass and plexiglass, and am interested in trying it out. However, I know some of the big proponents (ala @DrewPetitclerc) are using heavily modified Ups, in particular, with different build plates.

I however have a stock build plate, which from my numerous leveling attempts, is slightly warped. I'm wondering if these plates would compensate for this, or otherwise be affected. I could see glass being stiff enough to not bend, but also could see heat causing it anyway.

So does anyone have any thoughts on this? Either theoretical or empirical information would be great.

roller

Re: Glass/Plastic plates with warped board

Post by roller » Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:52 am

Yes glass will fix this a lot - you need to clamp it firmly enough to stay secure and not so firmly as to flex it though most regular glass wont flex much without it breaking. I use glass on my repraps all the time for just this reason - the heated bed in them tend to bend and rather than carry the weight of a flat metal plate we just place the glass right on top of it - in this case to pin it flat - works great.

The one issue you may have that if your bed plate is too bent the glass will heat unevenly and this may stress some glass into cracking after a few months. If that's the case invest in some borosilicate glass which is not so effected (proper name for Pyrex etc)

richievos

Post by richievos » Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:14 am

roller wrote:Yes glass will fix this a lot - you need to clamp it firmly enough to stay secure and not so firmly as to flex it though most regular glass wont flex much without it breaking. I use glass on my repraps all the time for just this reason - the heated bed in them tend to bend and rather than carry the weight of a flat metal plate we just place the glass right on top of it - in this case to pin it flat - works great.
Great. It seems like there's a mix between people using the standard binder clips and 3d printed ones. I'm going to give the binder clips a try tomorrow.
roller wrote: The one issue you may have that if your bed plate is too bent the glass will heat unevenly and this may stress some glass into cracking after a few months. If that's the case invest in some borosilicate glass which is not so effected (proper name for Pyrex etc)
Given my heater died yesterday I'm actually going to try @DrewPetitclerc's unheated glass + elmer's gluestick trick for a couple days. I picked up some normal glass from home depot today, and will cut it and give it a try tomorrow (links provided for future finder's benefit).

EDIT: I apparently misread some of these postings. As Drew says below he is heating the platform when using glue sticks.
Last edited by richievos on Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

DrewPetitclerc

Post by DrewPetitclerc » Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:52 am

richievos wrote: I'm actually going to try @DrewPetitclerc's unheated glass + elmer's gluestick trick for a couple days.
Just wanted to clarify, my build plate is heated with the glass and glue stick, so I'm not sure what your success will be with a cold build plate and the glue.

Regards
Drew
Drew Petitclerc
Petitclerc Designs
Owner/Senior Principal Designer, prototype, tooling and test equipment design and 3D printing
http://flash-graphics.deviantart.com/
http://www.thingiverse.com/DrewPetitclerc

mr6k

Post by mr6k » Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:47 am

Richievos,
As I recently posted, my heater failed. So I cut a 140 x 140 mm sheet of plexiglass, (perspex/acrylic)', removed my aluminium platform and drilled tappped two mounting holes in the perspex to attach it to the defunct heater base.
I found I needed to increase the gap between the nozzle and heater by about 0.3mm else the ABS stuck too well to the perspex, without any heat. You need to get good levelling as I found that a small platform tilt made one side stick really hard while the other side tended to lift on large objects (warp). I have made several prints and it works well, plus perspex is immune to MEK, so any residual ABS on the plate can be easily dissolved and wiped off.

Hope this helps

cheers

Perer

roller

Post by roller » Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:08 am

Yes you can't use proper glass without a heater but the acrylic (plexiglass) should work as mr6k already explains and you could also try polycarbonate too.

richievos

Post by richievos » Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:06 am

DrewPetitclerc wrote:
richievos wrote: I'm actually going to try @DrewPetitclerc's unheated glass + elmer's gluestick trick for a couple days.
Just wanted to clarify, my build plate is heated with the glass and glue stick, so I'm not sure what your success will be with a cold build plate and the glue.

Regards
Drew
Thanks for the clarification, I went ahead and made an edit to my earlier comment so that others don't get confused. I definitely misinterpreted the posts I read.