Up! Mini - Extruder temperature mod

Post improvements made for UP, and share ideas.
ahd71

Up! Mini - Extruder temperature mod

Post by ahd71 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:59 pm

My mod is to address the lack of software support for setting the extrusion temperature which is needed for "non-official" filament (to use for additional colors etc).
The idea is not new, it's posted in this forum before by others (i.e by 'wilsonj') so I consider it's a derivate but for the purpose of describing it and sharing some pictures here we go...

The temperature was a little bit too high for a role of filament I bought. It did print but causes some very minor smoke and odour and the printed pieces layers melted into each other a little bit more then needed and the surface became glossy. As the software don't have the option to change temperature (yet, dear vendor please add this feature as many users wants this!) I though fooling the sensor would do the trick, and after a quick googling i found others having the same idea and already did it successfully.

It's basically a resistor in serie with the sensor and the resistor have a switch in parallell to enable/disable the compensation. In my case I took a 12 ohm resistor which according to the data sheet referenced in another thread (http://www.thermometricscorp.com/PDFs/1 ... 2-in-C.PDF) will give 32 degrees celsius higher reading, causing a 32 degrees less warm extruder which was perfect for the filament I bought.

I soldered two 4-pin-headers, one male and one feemale onto a stripboard on oposite sides together with the resistor and switch and finally designed & printed a small enclosure.

Works perfect for me :-)
Attachments
IMAG2145-1-1s.jpg
IMAG2145-1-1s.jpg (112.56 KiB) Viewed 38097 times
IMAG2148-1-1s.jpg
IMAG2148-1-1s.jpg (73.77 KiB) Viewed 38097 times
IMAG2150s.jpg
IMAG2150s.jpg (119.04 KiB) Viewed 38097 times
Last edited by ahd71 on Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ahd71

Re: Extruder temperature mod

Post by ahd71 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:05 pm

And two more pictures....
Attachments
IMAG2152-1s.jpg
IMAG2152-1s.jpg (56.09 KiB) Viewed 38095 times
IMAG2144-1-1s.jpg
IMAG2144-1-1s.jpg (81.45 KiB) Viewed 38095 times

ftdesigns

Re: Extruder temperature mod

Post by ftdesigns » Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:30 pm

so, this mod actually stopped the smoking and caused your prints to come out better?

also, could you please share what filament you are using and where you got it? i may want to avoid it.

ahd71

Re: Up! Mini - Extruder temperature mod

Post by ahd71 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:38 pm

I bought in on ebay and it's labeled "ReprapZone ABS filament" and the color is "glow in the dark green" and arrived at my doorstep in four days - It didn't glowed that much though but gives me an additional color to print with so I'm happy now after the initial disapointment of the "melted plastic blobs" is no more with the temperature mod.

ahd71

Post by ahd71 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:01 am

hint for any builders of the same:
If I had done it again my next version would have had the switch "front" instead of "right" for easier operation....

roller

Post by roller » Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:35 am

Perhaps a trimpot too so you can dial in any temp you like - handy if you get interested in PLA which often needs finer temp tuning for great prints

D3rax

Post by D3rax » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:22 pm

Can I do this to on the Up! Plus?
On what temperature does the Up! plus extrude ABS? And PLA?
Can i use the same solderplan for the Up! Plus?

I want to use the following fillament: http://www.formfutura.com/abs-pla-clear ... .75mm-3mm/

The temperature for PLA is 180 to 200 c
The temperature for ABS is 235 to 256 c
Up! Plus

roller

Post by roller » Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:06 am

D3rax wrote:Can I do this to on the Up! Plus?
On what temperature does the Up! plus extrude ABS? And PLA?
Can i use the same solderplan for the Up! Plus?

I want to use the following fillament: http://www.formfutura.com/abs-pla-clear ... .75mm-3mm/

The temperature for PLA is 180 to 200 c
The temperature for ABS is 235 to 256 c
Yes, this mod idea originally comes from the Up! Plus so everything here is true for the Plus.

Yes you should be able to use that filament and you can probably use the PLA without any temperature mod but you will want to get a fan blowing on your print as this will improve PLA print quality.

If you prefer ABS a temp mod is probably required although the normal temp for the Up! is 260C which is just a fraction high for the rating of the filament you linked.

One thing on print quality of PLA versus ABS. If you use ABS you will generally find it a little easier to snap away support ... it depends on many factors but the Up! print strategy works a better with ABS than PLA (and best with genuine ABS). Alternately, PLA generally looks better than ABS if you are printing clear filament - It has a more transparent appearance when printed. ABS comes out a little more opaque with a much more frosted appearance.

pp3dp.nl

Post by pp3dp.nl » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:59 am

And if you don't use a mod and want to print PLA it's best to use version 1.15 of the Up software (temp is just right for most PLA). The later versions of the Up software have a higher temp for PLA, that's why the raft is harder to remove and models look less nice because of oozing/stringing.

scubamatt41

Post by scubamatt41 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:53 am

D3rax wrote: I want to use the following fillament: http://www.formfutura.com/abs-pla-clear ... .75mm-3mm/
I have used this filament on my UP mini and it printed fine. If you like you can get this after market tempcontrol at http://www2.artaylor.co.uk/pp3dp.html Unfortunately it's not fit for purpose on the UP mini.

The only reason for me to use tempcontrol would be to add some more wood like texture to my objects when printing with Laywoo 3d filament. When you print Laywoo 3D on the mini at ABS setting, it looks more like plastic rather than wood. But when you print it with the PLA setting it looks like MDF. Sort of woody effect without the typical wood structure, but it still looks very nice.
Always breath out on the way UP

D3rax

Post by D3rax » Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:42 pm

roller wrote: Yes you should be able to use that filament and you can probably use the PLA without any temperature mod but you will want to get a fan blowing on your print as this will improve PLA print quality.
Tanks for your reply! Do you know what the temperature of the PLA settings is on the Up! ? And regarding to the fan, do you mean the fan on the windbarriere or do I need an extra fan that blows over the model itself?
Up! Plus

roller

Post by roller » Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:54 am

pp3dp.nl wrote:And if you don't use a mod and want to print PLA it's best to use version 1.15 of the Up software (temp is just right for most PLA). The later versions of the Up software have a higher temp for PLA, that's why the raft is harder to remove and models look less nice because of oozing/stringing.
Your mileage will vary depending on PLA supplier - really we need temp control for PLA but 1.15 is the next best thing without a mod if you run Windows.

Code: Select all

Tanks for your reply! Do you know what the temperature of the PLA settings is on the Up! ? And regarding to the fan, do you mean the fan on the windbarriere or do I need an extra fan that blows over the model itself?
The inbuilt fan is insufficient for most PLA especially through the windbarrier. I recommend leaving the front and top open and just pointing a small deskfan in there. I get away with less on a reprap but the airflow is better around the print than in a Mini.

ahd71

Post by ahd71 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:46 am

The inbuilt fan is insufficient for most PLA especially through the windbarrier
I have only tested PLA a few times. What would be the main difference/benefit with an extra fan?

roller

Post by roller » Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:07 am

PLA stays soft and tacky until it reaches quite a low temp. A fan to cool your print significantly improves print quality. by firming up the print. Unlike ABS, PLA suffers very little from warping while cooling so cooling it quickly to get the print solid so the print head doesn't drag it around helps a lot.

wackojacko

Post by wackojacko » Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:20 pm

The mini has a new heat sink setup and prints PLA much better. Leave the top and front door open to help cool the model.
Bruce
http://www.3DPrintingSystems.com

Need help with your printer, check out our Youtube channel.
https://www.youtube.com/user/3dprinting ... /playlists

ahd71

Post by ahd71 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:07 pm

Thanks wackojacko and roller!

roller

Post by roller » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:06 am

wackojacko wrote:The mini has a new heat sink setup and prints PLA much better. Leave the top and front door open to help cool the model.
Nowhere near good enough though - it needs a fan for most PLA. When I used the Mini I had to generate a gale through it to get sufficient cooling for tougher PLA colours like clear. I even considered taking the back off to get enough airflow.

minimax

Post by minimax » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:45 pm

Hello,
based on this temperature mod I made a new one.
The goal was selection in steps of appx 3°C decrease and increase temperature only with passive components (costs of juts a few bucks)
And it works fine!!!

ABS: 230°C - 280°C
PLA: 171°C - 215°C

Have fun with it!
Attachments
passive_temp_control.png
circuit diagram
passive_temp_control.png (111.02 KiB) Viewed 37299 times

DytHlt

Post by DytHlt » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:16 pm

I did a similar thing, using Dip Switches. But instead of using a bunch of 1 ohm resistors, I did a binary type setup. Here is a quick drawing:
Switches.jpg
Switches.jpg (71.42 KiB) Viewed 37242 times
Use the bypass switch to turn off the temp mod. (open = mod on, closed = normal)
Then use the Dip Switches to set the desired ohms, in steps of 1 Ohm. (open = resistor on, closed = resistor off)
So if you needed 27 ohms, you would set the dips like this: OPEN, OPEN, CLOSED, OPEN, OPEN, CLOSED.
This will allow you to add resistance in steps of 1 OHM all the way up to a total of 63 Ohms.
I used a Dip Switch module like this: http://www.karlssonrobotics.com/shop/di ... QgodzBIAuw
You could even use the 8th position as your bypass switch and throw a 64 ohm resistor on the 7th, giving you a total of 127 ohms max.

O ya, and the 2 wires at the top, one goes to the circuit board on the extruder, the other goes to the sensor, just like the temp mod in the original post.

I haven't gotten to use it yet though, since my printer is currently being repaired.

ichbines

Post by ichbines » Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:40 pm

Nice and usefull Mod!

Can anyone me say how these connectors named. Where can I by them in Europe?

Sorry for my bad English.